Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

Need Help Researching The Following

Last posted May 09, 2013 at 06:36PM EDT. Added May 09, 2013 at 06:08PM EDT
3 posts from 2 users

As Chief Tumblrologist (ha), I feel that I have been derelict of my duty, seeing as I haven't uploaded any articles recently. This is mostly because I was finishing up school stuff and life in general catching up to me.

Help researching the following would be much appreciated:

"There are two kinds of people":
A catchphrase that is commonly used on tumblr to denote two very different reactions to something. This often pokes fun at the "tumblr divide" between hipster/fandom bloggers and serious art/comedy text post bloggers.

"Bitch, I might be":
A phrase that Gucci Mane supposedly said in responds to a judge asking if he's guilty. The phrase has been passed around tumblr and twitter to denote uncertainty.

"Shade/Read":
Appropriated from AAVE (African American Vernacular English). Shade refers to a subtle insult that usually goes over the heads of the person being insulted or an insult that can easily be mistaken for a compliment. Read refers to flat out telling someone "painful truths" about themselves, popularized by Zebra Katz's song "Imma Read". Three camps of people use it:
1) People who understand AAVE and use it correctly
2) People who don't understand AAVE and use it incorrectly
3) People who flat out use it in order to mock the people who use it incorrectly. See: White Girl Shade
If this trend continues, we may just end up needing an article on AAVE altogether.

"In X we don't say 'I love you'"
I've been seeing a lot of this going around. I know that it pokes fun at the (usually incorrect) inspirational posts about love that tend to fly around tumblr. The setup is usually as follows:

In (place) we don't say "I love you". Instead we say (usually nonsensical phrase), which translates to (equally nonsensical phrase). I love that

I believe that this may be the source, but I'm unsure"

Last edited May 09, 2013 at 06:38PM EDT

re: shade/reading, that's less internet slang and more drag slang, which is something i'm incredibly interested by, esp. since the explosion of rupaul's drag race has introduced a lot of these terms into common slang.

Last edited May 09, 2013 at 06:37PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!