Forums / Meme Research

20,473 total conversations in 3,313 threads

+ New Thread


Locked Locked
Liberals - One of the Most Hated Groups on The Internet?

Last posted May 31, 2013 at 02:10AM EDT. Added May 10, 2013 at 12:55AM EDT
21 conversations with 12 participants

I feel like there should be an entry on liberals since they are indeed one of the most hated and/or ridiculed groups on the Internet. It’s like they’re the Nickelback of politics. For the last few years, the majority of comments as it relates to politics on sites such as Yahoo, Facebook, Cheezburger, etc has been anti-liberal posts. The bandwagon effect of bashing liberals have increased ever since Obama’s first election and the rise of the Tea Party.

May 10, 2013 at 12:55AM EDT
Quote

I wouldn’t exactly say they are the most hated, as it would be debatable if the conservatives are most hated in return.

Well, then again, the hate that Liberals get oftentimes backfire and make the Conservatives look utterly stupid in return. Though recording such a phenomena will definitely be one of the bigger tasks on the website.

May 10, 2013 at 02:10AM EDT
Quote

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

I wouldn’t exactly say they are the most hated, as it would be debatable if the conservatives are most hated in return.

Well, then again, the hate that Liberals get oftentimes backfire and make the Conservatives look utterly stupid in return. Though recording such a phenomena will definitely be one of the bigger tasks on the website.

I feel like liberals are more hated than conservatives as in a group. When it comes to a bias, more people bash liberals than conservatives. I agree that recording all of this will be a tough task.

May 10, 2013 at 02:16AM EDT
Quote

chowzburgerz wrote:

I feel like liberals are more hated than conservatives as in a group. When it comes to a bias, more people bash liberals than conservatives. I agree that recording all of this will be a tough task.

“I feel like” is not really a well thought out argument here Chowz. I don’t know what type of voter you are, but please avoid personal bias due to your own political view, I feel like this is present here. Bush and Romney were/are both common targets of mock, more than Obama and especially on the internet. When it comes to internet culture during the latest elections, the republican party won by a landslide in terms of memes that mocked them. So it’s debatable who’s the most hated here. Given, I don’t follow politics over there that close, but an outsider perspective is also something.

Last edited May 10, 2013 at 08:50AM EDT
May 10, 2013 at 08:44AM EDT
Quote

It depends on where you look; sometimes the internet is bigger than we think. I have a lot of conservative family members, so, for me, Facebook is always full of Obama-hate. However, other sites (Reddit, manyChans, even KYM) tend to focus their hate on conservative policymakers.

On the other hand, both sides like to point out how much their opponents HATE them, because everyone likes to pain themselves as fighting some hugely important fight.

Which raises the question: are you more likely to notice liberals being bashed in a “liberal area”, or a “conservative” one? On the one hand, conservatives like to fling it around, but liberals are more sensitive TO it.

AAAARRRrrrrgh!

May 10, 2013 at 10:23AM EDT
Quote

Seems to me like it’s just political extremists that get the (deserved) hate, no matter what side they’re on. Of course, that would be way too vague a topic to warrant an entry.

May 10, 2013 at 10:41AM EDT
Quote

I agree. An entry about politics on the internet is probably a bit too broad. And there is no evidence whatsoever whether one “side” is derided more than the other. Chowz, I think you’re bringing personal bias to this.

When it comes to a bias, more people bash liberals than conservatives.

I disagree, based on your equivocation of ‘liberals’ with ‘conservatives’. The two categories, so to speak, are very different. The type of person you refer to as ‘liberal’ would likely be more appropriately termed a Social Justice Warrior. And I agree, SJWs are widely ridiculed, but we have an entry for that, as I linked.

As far as ‘conservatives’, I agree with RM. At least in the US, the Republicans are by far the greater subject of ridicule, and this was reflected online. Granted, there are ‘conservative’ areas in the internet, but I’d argue that the internet naturally lends itself to social liberalism, and thus has an overall ‘liberal’ slant. I feel like so many users of sites such as reddit, 4chan, tumblr, etc are extremely entrenched in their ‘liberal’ slant, and are thus dismissive of ‘conservatives’. Their derision may not be as overt, but I’d argue it’s more pervasive.

But yeah, tl;dr, too broad for an entry and/or already covered in SJ bloggers.

May 10, 2013 at 02:16PM EDT
Quote

Ok, how many memes bash the left/support the right? One
College Liberal that is.

But there are plenty that bash conservatives.

May 11, 2013 at 03:52AM EDT
Quote

It really all depends on where you go. Websites like 4chan have large groups of people who often make fun of liberals for various reasons. However, places like Reddit and Cheezburger have a very strong liberal standpoint. That said, it’s really impossible to categorize the internet as a whole as having any true political alignment.
Also, should this thread really be in Meme Research?

Last edited May 11, 2013 at 05:04PM EDT
May 11, 2013 at 04:58PM EDT
Quote

Myconix wrote:

It really all depends on where you go. Websites like 4chan have large groups of people who often make fun of liberals for various reasons. However, places like Reddit and Cheezburger have a very strong liberal standpoint. That said, it’s really impossible to categorize the internet as a whole as having any true political alignment.
Also, should this thread really be in Meme Research?

He’s asking strictly about the creation of an entry, so yes.

May 12, 2013 at 03:02PM EDT
Quote

If anyone saw that spam post, I actually e-mailed the account with a RickRoll link. Fucking spammers…

Anyway, to keep things relevant, it’s hard to assess the demographics of serious internet users. We could maybe compile the political leanings of various communities though.

May 30, 2013 at 02:58AM EDT
Quote

Liberals are communists.

May 30, 2013 at 03:37AM EDT

wn12345 wrote:

Liberals are communists.

Oh look…it’s this same guy that keeps going into all these threads and doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

Anyway, if they’re so damn communist, how come the liberal colour is yellow? How come they always sit on the right side of Parliament? How come almost every party with the label Liberal on it is self-described right wing?

But maybe you’re going by the British/Canadian/American definition, and as it turns out, you’re still wrong.

May 30, 2013 at 05:43PM EDT
Quote

This thread will be followed by Americans: The Most Hated Group in America I assume?

May 30, 2013 at 07:33PM EDT
Quote

It’s times like these that I wish we had restrictions on IRL content that leaks online.

May 30, 2013 at 08:25PM EDT
Quote

Cale wrote:

It’s times like these that I wish we had restrictions on IRL content that leaks online.

We do.

May 30, 2013 at 08:27PM EDT
Quote

Katie C. wrote:

Oh look…it’s this same guy that keeps going into all these threads and doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

Anyway, if they’re so damn communist, how come the liberal colour is yellow? How come they always sit on the right side of Parliament? How come almost every party with the label Liberal on it is self-described right wing?

But maybe you’re going by the British/Canadian/American definition, and as it turns out, you’re still wrong.

Liberalism has some left wing influence here. They are not completely communist though lol.

Last edited May 31, 2013 at 12:41AM EDT
May 31, 2013 at 12:41AM EDT

wn12345 wrote:

Liberalism has some left wing influence here. They are not completely communist though lol.

(I don’t often spout off at people, but when there’s willful ignorance…)

Hey dumbass, dont’cha know that the Democratic party is to the right of every single centre-left party in Europe?

May 31, 2013 at 12:46AM EDT
Quote

Katie C. wrote:

(I don’t often spout off at people, but when there’s willful ignorance…)

Hey dumbass, dont’cha know that the Democratic party is to the right of every single centre-left party in Europe?

I am not in Europe.

May 31, 2013 at 12:48AM EDT

You’re done here.

May 31, 2013 at 02:10AM EDT
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!