Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

MST3K Subculture entry?

Last posted May 30, 2013 at 03:16PM EDT. Added May 27, 2013 at 06:23PM EDT
9 posts from 5 users

Mystery Science Theater 3000 (MST3K) is one of the older fandoms, but it still has a pretty big following--a rather spread out following, but still a following. It has also been an influence for a few Internet personalities; like some of the people on That Guy With the Glasses.

I know there's a few Msties on the site, so what do you think? should there be a MST3K subculture entry?

Adam DeLand wrote:

I'd think there would be considering being a huge cult show, but I don't know if its grown in a lot of internet culture outside TGWTG.

True, it is rather spread out; but I have seen a little bit of MST3K in everything.

On Tumblr people post gifs of their favorite scenes or riffs, there's also people who use the casts silhouette to poke fun at various things. Also at almost every convention out there there's usually one or two MST3K cosplayers!

Thanks to the Internet the episodes are available to everyone (keep circulating the tapes, internet style!) and there are people watching the show for the first time.

Even though the show was cancelled in 1999 the cast still continues to riff movies too, with Cinematic Titanic & Rifftrax

and recently on the new season of Arrested Development on Netflix they had some of the MST3K cast (Joel & Trace) reprise their roles! :D

Last edited May 27, 2013 at 09:39PM EDT

MSTie here~

If you do start a page on Mystery Science Theater 3000, try to include something about MSTing, if you don't mind. That's about the only thing memetic I can think of that's been derived from the show, at least at the moment. Oh, and I'd be willing to help out on the article, if need be.

Patrick wrote:

MSTie here~

If you do start a page on Mystery Science Theater 3000, try to include something about MSTing, if you don't mind. That's about the only thing memetic I can think of that's been derived from the show, at least at the moment. Oh, and I'd be willing to help out on the article, if need be.

I'd love to do the entry, but I honestly wouldn't know what to do. The coding in particular is a bit confusing for me, I even looked at some of the guides and I was still confused. XD;

Krazy-Chibi wrote:

I'd love to do the entry, but I honestly wouldn't know what to do. The coding in particular is a bit confusing for me, I even looked at some of the guides and I was still confused. XD;

Random made a great guide a while back that I'd recommend, but if you have any questions afterwards, feel free to message me personally and I can try and help you out. It's pretty easy once you get used to it, so don't sweat if you have troubles with it at first!

Patrick wrote:

Random made a great guide a while back that I'd recommend, but if you have any questions afterwards, feel free to message me personally and I can try and help you out. It's pretty easy once you get used to it, so don't sweat if you have troubles with it at first!

This guide was a HUGE help thankyou! here's the entry if you want to help with it! :D

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/subcultures/mystery-science-theater-3000-mst3k

Last edited May 31, 2013 at 01:37AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!