Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

Consumption Junction

Last posted Jun 08, 2013 at 10:52AM EDT. Added Jun 02, 2013 at 04:02PM EDT
6 posts from 3 users

Sorry for bringing this one up, but does anyone think Consumption Junction deserves a page? It seemed to be a pretty popular site a decade ago.

tino768 wrote:

It was an adult humor site that started in 1999. It seemed like it was pretty popular about a decade ago.

This might be tricky – the page will need documentation to show how it affected the internet, and it will probably need to some kind of link to whatever memes were floating around at the time. After ten years, that might be a tall order. Can you dig anything like that up? Because I hadn't heard of that site until I stumbled onto this thread.

I kind of figured of the amount of time that had passed would be a factor. I could try and find some related memes and impact but I don't think I'll come up with much given the site's age. To be honest, the only reason I asked about this site is because it seemed notable to me and I figured I'd ask if it was worthy enough for a page. If that was wrong, I apologize.

tino768 wrote:

I kind of figured of the amount of time that had passed would be a factor. I could try and find some related memes and impact but I don't think I'll come up with much given the site's age. To be honest, the only reason I asked about this site is because it seemed notable to me and I figured I'd ask if it was worthy enough for a page. If that was wrong, I apologize.

I'm not saying that you're wrong – given how much traffic that site got, it may indeed be worthy of a page. All I'm saying is that a good site page needs to have good documentation. Take the page for tumblr for example – at the bottom, it has 23 different external links, each one of which is a citation to back up part of the article. This is in addition to all of the images and videos on the page, which each contribute to the documentation of the website's influence on the web at large. Now, all of this is easy to gather when you're talking about a site that is up and running and currently active, but ten years past it's peak things will probably be different.

Still, if that site was influential, then some good detective work might dig up enough information. If you can find it, then making a page would be a good idea. All I want to avoid is a page with a one paragraph description and no sources – things like that tend to get deadpooled.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!