Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

25,200 total conversations in 3,442 threads

+ New Thread

Website redesign butthurt

Last posted Jun 04, 2013 at 10:02PM EDT. Added Jun 04, 2013 at 06:49PM EDT
5 posts from 4 users

Just a name off the top of my head; I have no idea if anyone has already come up with a name for this phenomenon, or even if it’s meme-worthy, but…

I was just reading the YouTube entry, and it struck me that whenever a very popular site undergoes a redesign, its users go batshit crazy (albeit it’s often warranted). I guess a bit of that happened recently for Tumblr, and Facebook is notorious for doing this over and over again. Anyone think this is a phenomenon that has entry potential? Certainly if those three examples are the only instances it isn’t, but I’m sure there’s plenty more I have either forgotten or don’t know about.

Jun 04, 2013 at 06:49PM EDT

The more the website changes in frequency and scale, the more time it takes for people to get used to the site design. This is the major flaw the website designers make. If it’s not broken, don’t fix it.

Jun 04, 2013 at 07:15PM EDT

My only issue with having a page for site issues is that it seems to be a sub-issue to people just generally not liking change. You would have to find something internet-specific about the way this issue works before you could get a page for it. Maybe if you narrowed it further, and just wrote a paragraph on the Facebook and YouTube pages about this, it might work better?

Jun 04, 2013 at 07:32PM EDT

@Evilthing:

Yeah, something I said on Facebook after one of their redesigns was that even though I could personally see why they did the redesign, it nonetheless was a fail since they gave no consideration to what their users actually wanted. There’s always room for improvement, but what most people really want is stability.

@Platus:

You know, since it’s definitely a big thing on Facebook in particular, you may be right that a sub-section of the Facebook entry is what would really be needed if anything.

Last edited Jun 04, 2013 at 07:36PM EDT
Jun 04, 2013 at 07:33PM EDT

I hate it whenever any website does this, but Youtube seems to be the only one that I see people complain about.

Jun 04, 2013 at 10:02PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!