Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

KYM Workshop: Ouya

Last posted Jun 26, 2013 at 03:38PM EDT. Added Jun 25, 2013 at 08:22PM EDT
10 posts from 10 users

Ouya is an Android-based video game console that just launched. It was funded through Kickstarter in August 2012 and raised more than $8.5 million dollars. The console launched for the public today (despite some KS backers not getting their orders yet source 2 on that) and sold out really quickly on Amazon.

As of today, 178 games are available according to OUYA.tv

Blogs like Ars Technica seem to love the console already.

Wikipedia, Twitter Facebook Foolz 4chan archive

have you guys seen anything exciting about Ouya yet?

Last edited Jun 25, 2013 at 11:24PM EDT

I'm waiting until the 2nd or 3rd generation before considering getting one. I'd rather have one with a little bit better power and with a larger game library.

I also wonder how long before Nintendo tries to shut down the emulators.

Last edited Jun 26, 2013 at 01:26AM EDT

Kung Fu Cthulhu wrote:

Hang on a Squig – they have a ton of Emulators publicly available to download. Shouldn't that be illegal or something?

Actually yes. Especially with Nintendo trying to keep up the Virtual Console they will be sued rather hard by the Regginator.

Last edited Jun 26, 2013 at 03:29AM EDT

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

Actually yes. Especially with Nintendo trying to keep up the Virtual Console they will be sued rather hard by the Regginator.

Last I heard, emulators are perfectly legal. However, if one downloads a ROM that hasn't been made freely available legally, then there's a problem. As long as there's no illegal ROM distribution on their part, it's fine.

awsumpwner27 wrote:

Last I heard, emulators are perfectly legal. However, if one downloads a ROM that hasn't been made freely available legally, then there's a problem. As long as there's no illegal ROM distribution on their part, it's fine.

The only rom they give to us in a legal way are some sort of indie rom, but with the SNES emulator you can have acces to internet and go search for other thing, like zelda or earthbound.

So they don't give us the illegal rom, but you can google it.

From what I've heard and seen the Ouya is turning out to be pretty sub-par in a lot of areas. Apparently the controller is kind of rubbish and the games the system can download is quite a bit smaller in number than what's on the actual android market. Still, the system can be paired with other bluetooth controllers (like PS3 or wireless 360) and you can get apps via work around methods onto the ouya, so while it's dead in the water right now there might be some potential in the future.

btw, here's two reviews I found on the system for those who want a closer look at it.

A look at the system from Ashens – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf_jmGaanuY

Review by Jim Sterling of Destructoid – http://www.destructoid.com/the-ouya-is-a-nice-idea-at-least-256954.phtml

Last edited Jun 26, 2013 at 03:39PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!