Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

25,163 total conversations in 3,436 threads

+ New Thread

Supreme court?

Last posted Jun 28, 2013 at 11:54AM EDT. Added Jun 26, 2013 at 12:14PM EDT
5 posts from 2 users

I guess enough people changed their facebook image to red equal signs, because DOMA was overturned and proposition 8 was thrown out on a technicality! Woo! Unfortunately, the other cases decided today didn’t go quite as well.
Anyway, does anybody think that there is enough is happening on teh interwebz to warrant any new content to any existing articles, or a new article altogether? I mainly lurk, not edit, so I really have no idea myself.

Jun 26, 2013 at 12:14PM EDT

Moving to Meme Research because you seem to aim for a possible article.

Can you give examples of the Red Equal signs? If it’s the same as the previous time I would just extend on that entry.

Jun 26, 2013 at 12:41PM EDT

Thanks for the move, sorry about the mix-up. I was looking on tumblr and twitter for the hashtag doma, and it seems to do more with celebrating or complaining, rather than the red equals sign, so even though its related, I’m not sure if they are related enough. Also, the doma and prop 8 cases weren’t the only important ones. The voting rights act didn’t really go as planned, and there was another one that was important that my sleep-deprived brain can’t really remember.

I’m wondering, could the supreme court watchers be considered a subculture? Or if enough stuff came out of these 4 rulings, would it be classified as an event? Or would we just use the supreme court’s live blog as a website? I guess I’m getting a bit ahead of myself, but the annoying thing is that from what I’ve noticed, it’s hard to track memes from their beginnings because you can never really tell if they are going to fizzle out or if they are going to blossom, and I figured that this was a big enough issue for the potential to blossom.

Love the avatar, by the way!

Last edited Jun 26, 2013 at 12:55PM EDT
Jun 26, 2013 at 12:55PM EDT

Thanks for the move, sorry about the mix-up. I was looking on tumblr and twitter for the hashtag doma, and it seems to do more with celebrating or complaining, rather than the red equals sign, so even though its related, I’m not sure if they are related enough. Also, the doma and prop 8 cases weren’t the only important ones. The voting rights act didn’t really go as planned, and there was another one that was important that my sleep-deprived brain can’t really remember.

Digging through it myself as well a bit, you are correct there. The Red Equal signs are more a side-effect here. Also check out when you type in “gay” in Google.

I’m wondering, could the supreme court watchers be considered a subculture? Or if enough stuff came out of these 4 rulings, would it be classified as an event? Or would we just use the supreme court’s live blog as a website?

Are there more explosive cases from the supreme court watchers such as this, or can this one be considered truly unique? If the latter, I would go with an Event entry.

I guess I’m getting a bit ahead of myself, but the annoying thing is that from what I’ve noticed, it’s hard to track memes from their beginnings because you can never really tell if they are going to fizzle out or if they are going to blossom, and I figured that this was a big enough issue for the potential to blossom.

It can be a bitch at times, but it’s sometimes better to do write them. Issue here is that with the Wendy Davis speech in Texas getting all over the media now, it’s difficult to tell how long DOMA will remain in the news.

Love the avatar, by the way!

You’ll have to thank Muumi there, he drew this for me.

Last edited Jun 26, 2013 at 01:30PM EDT
Jun 26, 2013 at 01:12PM EDT

Update: Youtube created a pride-themed video (I’m guessing in reaction to the Supreme Court decisions) and it’s hit half a million hits and 30k comments in one day. Might be worth keeping an eye on. Here’s the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDm0zsw9vjY

Jun 28, 2013 at 11:54AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!