Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,829 total conversations in 4,533 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
top kek

Last posted Oct 07, 2013 at 11:55AM EDT. Added Jul 02, 2013 at 05:06PM EDT
17 posts from 13 users

on the infamous 4chan board /s4s/ there was one a thread that was stickied to the middle of the first page titled "top kek" with this picture on it,

that thread stayed there for around 2 months, and was replaced by an identical thread. The usage of the word "kek" has since flooded the board, spread to other boards, and several other sites. I have no idea what the hell it even is, but I saw that there was no entries/threads, so if anybody out there has on information on this subject, feel free to explain it to us.

CLYDE (Joe's Nightmare) wrote:

Are you sure it's not a branch off of Top Lel?

That's exactly what it is. /s4s/ took Top Lel and ran with it, meaning Top Gun and Top Lel hats everywhere, Topkek, Top Ket, et cetera, et cetera.

I haven't seen Topkek at all outside of /s4s/, but it's still probably worth a minor mention on the Top Lel page.

ExudesAffluence wrote:

That's exactly what it is. /s4s/ took Top Lel and ran with it, meaning Top Gun and Top Lel hats everywhere, Topkek, Top Ket, et cetera, et cetera.

I haven't seen Topkek at all outside of /s4s/, but it's still probably worth a minor mention on the Top Lel page.

>I haven’t seen Topkek at all outside of /s4s/, but it’s still probably worth a minor mention on the Top Lel page.

>I haven’t seen Topkek at all outside of /s4s/
That's because it's an in-joke on /s4s/, not an actual internet meme.
For what it's worth, /s4s/ is a board based around professional ironic shitposting, and new "may-mays" are created [ironically forced ] there every day, ironically.

GotCracky? a vapor wrote:

>I haven’t seen Topkek at all outside of /s4s/, but it’s still probably worth a minor mention on the Top Lel page.

>I haven’t seen Topkek at all outside of /s4s/
That's because it's an in-joke on /s4s/, not an actual internet meme.
For what it's worth, /s4s/ is a board based around professional ironic shitposting, and new "may-mays" are created [ironically forced ] there every day, ironically.

You may as well make pages/entries for “huekek,” “le shiggy donatello,” “le wrinkle face guy,” “le guy holding le donut meme,” as they’re all “ironic” “memes” that are in all actuallity nothing but in-jokes on /s4s/.

ugggh….. KEK is from world of warcraft when you are on Alliance or Horde and the other Faction says "Lol" in the game you can not understand the other faction so it makes it say "kek" on your screen….

Why dont yall just look this shit up? damn

and yes it is a knock off of toplol.

Acedmax wrote:

ugggh….. KEK is from world of warcraft when you are on Alliance or Horde and the other Faction says "Lol" in the game you can not understand the other faction so it makes it say "kek" on your screen….

Why dont yall just look this shit up? damn

and yes it is a knock off of toplol.

Kek is only seen on the Alliance side when the Horde player says "Lol".

If an Alliance player says Lol to a Horde player it will appear as "Bur" to the Horde player.

It may very well be used on WoW or othe games, but I'm pretty sure it's from /s4s/. Here's the /s4s/ wiki page for it: http://s4s.wikia.com/wiki/Kek [wiki may or may not be nsfw, but it's for the most part sfw]

Last edited Jul 19, 2013 at 04:51PM EDT

­­­Alex Mercer wrote:

Lmao ED.

1. Create some fake accounts on KYM
2. Claim that "kek" comes from WoW
3. ?!?!?!
4. Profit!

ED's article is copypaste good btw.

Those are real accounts. ED's not low/crazy enough to create a bunch of a fake accounts on another site just to add to an article about a meme. EDIT:Looks like those were theire only posts actually. Although I wouldn't put it past people from /b/ or [s4s] to do that, the ED article was created way after those posts.

Last edited Aug 31, 2013 at 06:16PM EDT

>"kek" emerges as a corruption of "lel"
>"Top kek" emerges as a corruption of "top lel"
>"kek" at the very least I think predates [s4s], not sure about "top kek", either way they both becomes associated with [s4s] in the early days of the board
>someone digs up a picture of a Turkish snack that coincidentally happens to be named "Topkek". The similarity to "top kek" makes the snack an instant in-joke. (I think this happens on [s4s]?)
>as [s4s] becomes more popular, "kek", "top kek" and Topkek start getting used more outside [s4s], like It's Happening and Doompauls outside /pol/

I will do more research but that's what I've picked up from lurking. And while it's largely a board injoke (more popular than most [s4s] forced memes which die within weeks), it's no more so than any number of other things that we have on here. Seems worth some mention.

GotCracky? a vapor wrote:

You may as well make pages/entries for “huekek,” “le shiggy donatello,” “le wrinkle face guy,” “le guy holding le donut meme,” as they’re all “ironic” “memes” that are in all actuallity nothing but in-jokes on /s4s/.

I see it outside of {s4s} all the time you stupid figgots

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!