Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

24,569 total conversations in 3,353 threads

+ New Thread

The Britt-Marie Meme

Last posted Jul 17, 2009 at 01:47PM EDT. Added Jul 16, 2009 at 09:40PM EDT
9 posts from 3 users

I’ve done some research on this non-meme.
the more i look into this the more i am convinced this needs to be deadpooled.

“För fan” is NOT a catchphrase.
no one knows it.

Britt-Marie, outside a couple of youtube videos is barely known.

I would like to mention that Britt-Marie is a Very common name,

A google search for “Britt-Marie” churns out results in the millions,
but NOTHING relevant to this Britt-Marie for at least the first 10 pages.
The only exception to this is 3 youtube videos, which are also the same 3 youtubes posted in the Britt-Marie YKM thread.

A google for “för fan catchphrase” wields results, NONE containing any relevant material for at least the first 10 pages (to which i stopped searched).
how internet famous can it be if its so unheard of?

There is NO macrochan
There is NO encyclopaedia dramatica
There is NO wikipaedia
There is NO YTMND
There are NO results in a 4chan archive search

This belongs in the Deadpool.

Jul 16, 2009 at 09:40PM EDT

In another thread there were disussions regarding regional memes and if they should be added to the database.

This one got some fame in Sweden. Almost a million hits are a lot for a clip that’s hard to understand outside Sweden.
I’ve heard a lot of people refering to the clip. There are a couple of Facebook groups for fans of it. There is a thread on Flashback.info (swedens biggest forum) where they do resaerch about the clip. It got posted on link pages like buzz.

The question is the meme-status..
The clip have a few remixes.. a little too few a guess.
It got picked up by 1000 apor and they made a clip with the guy..

I realise now that it’s weaker than i hoped. :(

It has a history like skogturken and nattliv, but did not get all the way..

I give up on it. Deadpool!

Jul 16, 2009 at 10:30PM EDT

Sheerly for the fact that it has a few hundred thousand views, a few derivatives, and the fact that it get’s a lot of attention and support from Sweden makes it a relevent foreign internet meme. Believe me, there are plenty of 4chan memes that are less spread than this, but are well-known within the 4chan community. The best internet memes break out of the niche in which they were born, but not all of them do. The only difference is that 4chan is so rabid about their own self-referential memes that it even tiny little blips on the radar like “A Master is Out” become instantly recognizable, while other foreign language memes that are relevent in their own countries just aren’t recognized by the typical English-speaking forums.

Brit-Marie is obscure to the English-speaking web. But we’re not the whole internet.

Jul 17, 2009 at 02:50AM EDT

no.
its not popular.
its not widely known enough.
deadpool.

i cant go, “this meme sure is popular…at my house!”
its an internet database.
if its not popular on the trucks and tubes then its deadpool.

for example:
at uni we have a running joke that we want to make bellsprout a meme, occasionally we’ll put it on 4chan or something as part of a forcememe joke.
does this make it a legit meme?
no, its not popular on the internet, its an unknown by all except a small niche.
doesnt count.

plus whats the point of memes that are obscure to english if we’re translating them TO english?
why bother?
why not just put them on a non-english meme database or not translate them at all and leave every second post in mandarin or spanish?

btw, im just trying to make a point, absolutely no offense to you triper, i think ur actually pretty cool guy who doesnt afraid of anything.

Jul 17, 2009 at 03:26AM EDT

Richie,

I appreciate that you have such deep feelings about this. We try to give most memes the benefit of the doubt before deadpooling them.

The fact of the matter is that the original http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5MTdkPgKc8 has over 700,000 views.

This remix has over 200,000 viwes

This remix has over 20,000 views

There are a lot more that each have only a few thousand views. Many English-language memes, even many from 4chan are far less known and much smaller than this. Just because it doesn’t translate well doesn’t negate the fact that it is a meme. And yes, we’re going to translate everything into English and explain it in English because those of us that work on the site are native English-speakers.

Britt-Marie is too big to be deadpooled.

Jul 17, 2009 at 10:27AM EDT

Ok, well ur the admin so i guess its up to u.
but i just fundamentally disagree, i dont think theres much point in posting anything that isnt primarily an english meme. There are some exceptions of course i.e the swedish host vomit
meme or whatever because that doesnt really have a language boundry. But if we dont keep it mostly english then we have to add in things like:

Da Fei Ji
Qian Lie Xie
Acidman – Innocence Virgin
Ya Mie Die
Sanlu sniffing
Cao Ni Ma
Ju Hua Can
Shanxi slaves
Ji Ba Mao
vertical subversive censorship
Wei Shen Jing
fredericiana
pirate party

cause theyre all memes, but theyre not much good in english.

Jul 17, 2009 at 10:55AM EDT

And I think that each of those may very well need to be covered. We want to try to be an all-inclusive database of memes and honestly it would be great if the whole website could be translated into any language. Right now we only really have the capabilities to write in English, but we have a international audience using the site.

Any meme that is notable that is suggesed, we try to give a fair chance. Many times things get lost in translation, but our main focus here is to explain why things become memes; regardless of their place of origin.

Jul 17, 2009 at 01:16PM EDT

PS: As soon as we have a good rating system implemented, the high-quality memes will naturally rise above the low-quality memes and we won’t have to use the deadpool for anything more than things that truly aren’t memes.

Jul 17, 2009 at 01:20PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!