Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured
Internet slang improvement thread

Last posted Sep 25, 2013 at 01:08PM EDT. Added Sep 07, 2013 at 01:15PM EDT
9 posts from 3 users

Three years ago, we already had a thread about what acronyms we would consider as memetic on the internet. Old as well as new threads were made to discuss that peculiar subject and there are still people wondering about peculiar acronims as being valid for an entry. As time went by, many single entries about specific acronyms and initialisms popped up, such as lol, omg, wtf, gtfo, gg and a plethora of others.
I think it would be a great idea to have a list of the many different acronyms/initialisms that haven't their own entries yet.
As you can see, there have been attempts at threads that eventually became locked due to inactivity. Let's try to not let it happen to this one, shall we?

For instance, I'm thinking about IMO (In My Opinion) that has been used for years, spawning a more formal form as IMHO (In My Humble Opinion).

I was thinking about creating entries for the terms "shitpost" (or "shitposting") and "cyberbullying" for a while now, both notable and very common terms that started on the internet and are related to it. The recent Headcanon entry was also related to slang-related ideas I had, and was basically only started because Amanda requested it from me. I'll see if I can start the other two sometime next week, they've been on hiatus way too long already.

Agreeing on your idea with IMO btw.

Last edited Sep 07, 2013 at 04:04PM EDT

This very thread can try to gather up all kinds of memetic slangs that we have yet to have an entry on, then.
There are so many of them.
We don't even have one fot "BTW" as well, as far as I can see. Same for "FTW" that isn't explained in the win article (which, by the way, really needs a heavy rewriting)

Last edited Sep 07, 2013 at 04:44PM EDT

Thinking about other slang terms for this thread, the idea of common replies such as "asdf" and countless variations used to display annoyance or anger came into my mind. Apparently these are based on the comic style for swearing called Grawlix. But yeah, the idea hit me and I didn't want to let it go to waste, so have this entry. It's not perfect yet, but with the posting style being based mostly on a semi-random combinations of letters, you don't exactly find notable results easily. Thanks as well to Opspe and MyConix for the help with some research.

One that also came to mind was "XD". Doubting here because it can of course be given a header under the emoticons entry, but unlike normal emoticons XD lately has gained a more ironic usage similar to ironically using the word "Le".

Last edited Sep 07, 2013 at 10:04PM EDT

Word Up! You must login or signup first!