Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

24,681 total conversations in 3,369 threads

+ New Thread

I hate X!

Last posted Dec 02, 2009 at 04:06PM EST. Added Nov 17, 2009 at 09:38PM EST
16 posts from 7 users

I’m not so sure, but don’t you think Francis from Left 4 Dead deserves a meme because of his hatred of everything.
In the game he constantly says that he hates something when someone gives him a command Exp. Louis,“We have to go up these stairs!” Francis,“I hate stairs!” Parodies in magazines, youtube videos, and some imagery. Hell, there’s even a website to show it! http://ihatevans.com/
So, I’m not trying to force meme it. I just think it has a slight chance of being a meme.

Nov 17, 2009 at 09:38PM EST

I might make a post but I usaully fail! I end up having help from staff.
I just need to learn more about how to post images, links, videos, stuff like that.

Nov 17, 2009 at 09:43PM EST

You know what? I shall try to document it as a meme! With a little help, I might actually make one! :) But I call it! I’ll probably post it on, Friday or Saturday depending on spell check and imagery! I have a good feeling about this!

Nov 17, 2009 at 09:48PM EST

I’m kind of on the fence about this, considering how it seems to be more of a catchphrase that just so happens to be in a popular game than a meme. For something in media to be a meme, it should be the internet which causes its spread rather than the media itself. Consider how we have no entries for “The cake is a lie” and others. However, “One does not simply walk into Mordor” is a meme, because it wasn’t meant to be a catchphrase or memorable line at all.

Nov 17, 2009 at 09:55PM EST

HackerOnHacker gets it.

@Crazyshark70,

We are not here to make memes out of things that deserve memes. If there is a meme, it ought to be covered. But don’t try to force a meme where you think one ought to exist. That’s just bad Internet science.

Nov 17, 2009 at 11:25PM EST

It was already posted by someone else who probably thought it would be cool to steal the bacon. That’s where I think we should look right now.

Nov 17, 2009 at 11:40PM EST

This is where I hate X stands.

The phrase is in the game. Is it memorable? Yes. Developers intended it to be a running joke, therefore part of Francis’s personality. This is no meme. Other catchphrase memes have developed some sort of personality by the internet. Francis’s catchphrase has been already developed by the game, so there is not much room to grow out of. Therefore it is not a meme.

Nov 18, 2009 at 12:46AM EST

I believe your what your saying is right, but when you think about it. An advice dog version of meme? Near future, meybe? I’m a newfag at KYM. So it’s kinda like, the people have to come up with the meme, not the corporations that make it? Something kinda like that and also.

There is a website for generating I hate X.

There is a ton of videos paroding it.
A soundboard of his catch phrases.
But not a lot of YTMND’s.

I’m not trying to force meme it, I just want to make an article on a possible meme.

Nov 18, 2009 at 04:45PM EST

Sorry to double post, but after 5 minutes of editing I got the post that I wanted, simple links!
=3

Nov 18, 2009 at 04:52PM EST

@Crazyshark70,

I wouldn’t call those videos parodies. They’re imitations, tributes, maybe even spoofs, but a parody makes fun of the subject. When the original subject was already a joke, and other people tell that same joke, they aren’t creating a parody. They aren’t adding any new context.

That’s not to say that all memes have to be made up of parodies. But when someone creates fan art of a subject that comes directly from mass media, the idea doesn’t get passed simply from one person to another online.

The idea is passed from the writer, to the production staff, to the marketers, to the distributers, to the content delivery network, to the viewers who then say, “I like this professionally produced product, so I’ll reference it.” Unless someone puts a unique spin on it, there is no point in tracing the route of spread online. The message was delivered to the audience from the top down.

A good meme is something that can be clearly identified as something that grew out of the internet, and not just anything that people do on it.

Check it out. Here’s a bunch of Grey’s Anatomy fan art. There’s nothing about this that I would call memetic. I don’t think we need to consider every bit of fandom to be memetic. http://www.fanpop.com/spots/greys-anatomy/fanart

Nov 18, 2009 at 05:07PM EST

IF “Grabbin’ Pills” is barely a meme, then this sure can’t. Sorry buddy.

Dec 02, 2009 at 04:06PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!