Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

24,606 total conversations in 3,356 threads

+ New Thread

Video Games as a Subculture?

Last posted Oct 15, 2013 at 12:40PM EDT. Added Oct 12, 2013 at 09:52PM EDT
12 posts from 4 users

If you guys think about it, video games changed the ways of how we entertain ourselves since its creation. Do we really need to make an entry?

Oct 12, 2013 at 09:52PM EDT

I think this is way WAY too broad to cover in an entry. Prove me wrong or it’ll end up deadpooled.

Oct 13, 2013 at 12:21AM EDT

opspe wrote:

I think this is way WAY too broad to cover in an entry. Prove me wrong or it’ll end up deadpooled.

Eh, not much of a researcher or an editor. That’s why I need all the help I can get.

Oct 13, 2013 at 12:47AM EDT

Deadpooling, I can understand. Deleting the entire page itself seems excessive – especially considering that there was actual interest in developing an article. Can someone provide an explanation as to why that got deleted so suddenly?

Oct 13, 2013 at 02:15PM EDT

opspe wrote:

Because there’s already an entry. Next time search before you submit.

Ah. That.

The thing about that page is that it was made for a single purpose – to cash in on the April Fool’s craze that happened this year. Random 21 (the guy who made the article that you linked to) said that the article that Gray Hoof started was already superior to the one he had made, if I remember correctly.

Oct 13, 2013 at 02:56PM EDT

I discussed it with other mods before doing anything. We agreed that the original entry should be used, even if it was for KYMIRL. We’ve used KYMIRL entries as bases for regular entries before.

Oct 13, 2013 at 10:46PM EDT

opspe wrote:

I discussed it with other mods before doing anything. We agreed that the original entry should be used, even if it was for KYMIRL. We’ve used KYMIRL entries as bases for regular entries before.

Alright, I guess me and Kung Fu Cthulhu are going to request an editorship to Random 21 and hopefully he’ll accept it.

Oct 13, 2013 at 11:52PM EDT

opspe wrote:

That’s perfectly fine, and I get why you ended up going through with it. I wish that I could have saved the information that I wrote for that version of the page, though.

EDIT: I suppose that this would be as good a place as any to request that all content is moved to the KYMIRL page’s Image/Video Galleries.

Last edited Oct 14, 2013 at 01:06AM EDT
Oct 14, 2013 at 12:56AM EDT

I’d hate to doublepost, but I heard that there was a bit of a trouble with this article on the IRC page. People aren’t sure if this counts as a subculture or a culture in and of itself, and another issue of contention is whether it could work as a parent page. If I remember correctly, the consensus is that if this page is going to work, it needs to be more about the Memes and culture surrounding gaming than the history of gaming itself. Keeping this in mind, I’m only briefly writing about companies that are considered to be fairly important (Valve, Nintendo, EA, Sony, and Microsoft) and have their own articles on this site. I will stress that my focus will ultimately be on defining Memes related to gaming, though.

Oct 15, 2013 at 12:40PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!