Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

24,529 total conversations in 3,347 threads

+ New Thread

Should Songs Be Consider Memes Or Have Their Own Tag

Last posted Oct 30, 2013 at 04:28AM EDT. Added Oct 29, 2013 at 02:14PM EDT
5 posts from 5 users

As you know, songs fall under the meme tag, but some people kind of disagree. Although certain memes and parodies have spawned from these songs, we need to make sure songs fall under the same definition as meme. What do you guys think?

Last edited Oct 29, 2013 at 02:14PM EDT
Oct 29, 2013 at 02:14PM EDT

I would agree with you. Chocolate Rain definitely falls under that category. “Friday” should be listed under a new category. “Disaster”

Oct 29, 2013 at 03:15PM EDT

Do you mean that “Songs” get a tag likewise to “Meme” and “Event”? If so, I disagree. Songs can be considered a subcategory of memes of course, but so can movies or catchphrases. If “Songs” are a whole new category seperate from “Meme”, why shouldn’t actors, musicians, or youtube celebrities be a category seperate from “Person”? In my opinion, it’s better to keep it limited to a set of well covering categories.

If you meme this like a shared similar tag, that is something I can more agree with. Like for example with musicians we use the “musician (name)” similar entry tag, making them appear at the bottem of the entries.

Oct 29, 2013 at 05:12PM EDT

I get the point here, but not enough songs are meme-worthy for it to be its own sub section.

Last edited Oct 29, 2013 at 07:27PM EDT
Oct 29, 2013 at 07:26PM EDT

Basically what Random said. Most songs that actually get articles are pretty much only documented because they become memes (See Numa Numa or Friday or 009 Sound System Background Songs) However there are special instances where we log events of songs (Like when Justin Bieber’s Baby past 3 million dislikes on youtube.) Then that generally is just given a section under the artist’s page which is labeled as a person rather than giving ‘Baby’ it’s own page for the purpose of that tiny section.

Oct 30, 2013 at 04:28AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!