Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

Year in Reviews

Last posted Dec 11, 2013 at 07:34PM EST. Added Dec 11, 2013 at 08:34AM EST
5 posts from 3 users

So I've noticed the internet likes to keep up with year in reviews and stuff. Does it need an article?

Facebook's 2013 review

and each user now gets their own year in review. facebook.com/yearinreview

Youtube's 2013 review:

(there are interactive shorts that you can click on in the video)

and here's a review of 1994 that was just posted on ebaum.

Searching any other year turns up a large number of results also. Meme? Or just event even?

I'd say no, the year in review is a thing that's been around for years before the internet with newspapers and corporations, unless you can prove that internet Year in Reviews are inherently different from traditional ones.

Well the internet based year in reviews (Facebook and Youtube) tend to focus on internet trends, which usually happen to be memes. i.e. the Facebook one starts of with Wrecking Ball, grumpy cat, equality profile pic, etc. Then the youtube one goes over "what does the fox say," pewdiepie, horse mask, overly attached girlfriend, Harlem Shake. The 1994 one primary focuses on the nostalgia of 1994, so it's a little different (probably could be filed under nostalgia though which we don't have an article for).

However, now that I look at it the KYM blog already has a "Meme Review" section. Maybe they could do an internet roundup post. I just think it would be good to have it all in one place.

The Cute Master :3 wrote:

Well the internet based year in reviews (Facebook and Youtube) tend to focus on internet trends, which usually happen to be memes. i.e. the Facebook one starts of with Wrecking Ball, grumpy cat, equality profile pic, etc. Then the youtube one goes over "what does the fox say," pewdiepie, horse mask, overly attached girlfriend, Harlem Shake. The 1994 one primary focuses on the nostalgia of 1994, so it's a little different (probably could be filed under nostalgia though which we don't have an article for).

However, now that I look at it the KYM blog already has a "Meme Review" section. Maybe they could do an internet roundup post. I just think it would be good to have it all in one place.

I'd still say that those year in reviews do what every other one has done and makes a synopsis of everything important that's happened in its sphere of influence. Not inherently different from their offline counterparts.

Last edited Dec 11, 2013 at 07:29PM EST

Twilitlord wrote:

I'd still say that those year in reviews do what every other one has done and makes a synopsis of everything important that's happened in its sphere of influence. Not inherently different from their offline counterparts.

Internet events based on IRL events do not make said events unworthy yet.

If these things are based on the internet, focus on the internet, and get covered and shared on the internet, it matches internet phenomena.

I understand the issue with the border between IRL and internet in several cases, and there are cases on the site which I question we should cover even now, but these reviews are not one of them.

Last edited Dec 11, 2013 at 07:35PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!