Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

24,393 total conversations in 3,327 threads

+ New Thread

Powerpuff Girls Art Style Parodies

Last posted Jan 15, 2014 at 06:07PM EST. Added Jan 13, 2014 at 12:42AM EST
9 posts from 5 users

So I’m usually someone who just uploads images/ edits image metadata so the site is better to use. However, there are a few things that I’ve seen around a bit across several articles. Parodies of the art style of the Powerpuff Girls I’ve seen quite a bit of. I’ve also seen a bit of PASWG, but with that, there’s a full entry to its documentation of it as a whole.

I don’t think that PPG on its own needs a full article (maybe some people feel differently) but as distinctive as the art style is and with a few examples of it already on the site (with many likely untagged and more not on the site at all) I was wondering what others thought.

Unfortunately, since PPG aired originally before the 2000’s I don’t think finding when parodies of the art style started appearing will be easy.

Last edited Jan 13, 2014 at 12:44AM EST
Jan 13, 2014 at 12:42AM EST

Usually, it’s characters made to look like them.
just dump it in the Enhanced Childhood gallery or the Alternate Universe one.

Jan 13, 2014 at 06:22AM EST

Kebab Removal Unit wrote:

just dump it in the Enhanced Childhood gallery

No, just no.

The enhanced childhood gallery is not the place to dump whatever picture you have, and just because is from a TV show doesn’t mean it belongs to the enhanced childhood gallery.

Last edited Jan 13, 2014 at 07:35AM EST
Jan 13, 2014 at 07:29AM EST

I was meaning to say that put the examples in the enhanced childhood gallery. Not all the PPG images he has on hand.

Jan 13, 2014 at 07:40AM EST

Kebab Removal Unit wrote:

I was meaning to say that put the examples in the enhanced childhood gallery. Not all the PPG images he has on hand.

Except that, by my definition of what Childhood Enhanced should be, its completely unrelated. Something from your childhood being being enhanced (IMO) should be either a reference present in the actual subject material

something that is not immediately directed towards one’s childhood, but is pretty awesome just the same.

or, if being generous, something from ones childhood being upgraded to “big boy toys”

I personally don’t think “just fan art”, even if it is in the style of something that was in one’s childhood fits, at all. Its just fan art. The same goes for Ruined Childhood.

I do realize that by my definitions, about 9/10 images (or more) in the Childhood Enhanced gallery don’t belong, but I’d rather not deal with that right now, especially since I know not everyone feels that way.

We could make a general “Art Style Parodies Page”, but I’m afraid that it would become like the Crossover or Alternative gallery with many reposts, and near impossibility to find something exact. However, I know the research for the article would be easier at least.

Last edited Jan 13, 2014 at 08:45AM EST
Jan 13, 2014 at 08:42AM EST

This thread makes me think of a legitimate question, guys.
There are thousands, if not tens of thousands of people drawing thing reusing a peculiar art style from a show.
The “ponification” entry covers specifically the MLP-related oned but is there a typical “word” for that kind of art that would cover everything, from Simpsons-style to Adventure Time-style art?

Last edited Jan 14, 2014 at 07:47PM EST
Jan 14, 2014 at 07:45PM EST

Tomberry wrote:

There are thousands, if not tens of thousands of people drawing thing reusing a peculiar art style from a show.
The “ponification” entry covers specifically the MLP-related oned but is there a typical “word” for that kind of art that would cover everything, from Simpsons-style to Adventure Time-style art?

I can’t think of any exact one word off the top of my head. Art parodies I’m afraid would get people thinking of parodies of famous artwork. These are not necessarily incorrect in some cases, but many examples would irrelevant to the article. Style Parodies, though may not be as clear as Art Style Parodies, may work. A full art style parodies page, though, I’m afraid would end up like the Fan Art Article, in that, because there is just such a huge volume of stuff that fits in it, it would be better to lock the video/image galleries, and have people be diverted to existing sub-memes If they want to upload/look at things.

I’ve uploaded quite a few images that are of one show/game done in the art style of another show/ game. I generally just upload it to the page of that show’s/game’s subculture if we have one. I find it rather annoying when people reupload those images to the Alternative Universe gallery and don’t add the tags/ source the that I put in the original image’s metadata, but I can always edit those in since I’ve got scrapbooker status.

Though, the intent of this thread was initially asking if the Powerpufff Girls equivalent of Ponification/ponify should have an article, if something else productive results, it I’m all for it. I just know that the Alternative Universe Gallery is kinda random and many filled with many duplicate images, so creating smaller entries (if appropriate) may help things. I just fear a general Art Style Parodies page will face the same problems as Alternative Universe. Still, it is certainly noteworthy on the internet like fan art in general, so maybe having a page for it is in order.

Jan 14, 2014 at 09:25PM EST

Tomberry wrote:

Yes I’ve seen a lot of Adventure Time artwork, maybe because I love the show, but I’ve seen it plenty here and everywhere.

Jan 15, 2014 at 06:07PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!