Forums / Meme Research

20,478 total conversations in 3,314 threads

+ New Thread

Hackenbacker's Senior Research Essay on FanFiction

Last posted Jan 14, 2014 at 12:00PM EST. Added Jan 14, 2014 at 12:08AM EST
3 conversations with 2 participants

Greetings, fellow awesome users of KYM. I am currently preparing to research and write a very highly graded and formulated essay for my last year of high school.

I have chosen to write about fanfiction. Yes, I know it does seem a little odd, but trust me I know how to phrase this.

Since this essay needs to have some sort of POV, I have written my topic as follows: “Does fanfiction help or harm fandom communities? Can this form of literature be considered a valid form of art and can it help or harm writing? What are the legal and social issues concerning fanfiction?”
I plan to talk about everything from OCs to OTPs and everything in between.

Here is where I need all of your guy’s help. I need material, not just long spralling academic journals found on JSTOR. I need decent forum discussions you might have seen, good websites that talk about fanfiction, any article, blog post, even good fanfic recomondations! I have a limited door and I know that you guys have the internet scoured and purged. I need anything that can help me. (I will provide a full list later when I get my topic officially approved and validated)
I plan on fully using KYM for information and as a bit of a resource mine.
Eventually, I am also going to post a survey once I get approval and trained in the matter.
Now here is where the deal starts. Eventually, and I mean eventually, I am probably going to need a serious discussion on a particular topic about fanfiction, I haven’t decied yet, but my teacher says I am going to need to quote a “conversation” and this is the only place I can think of.
I thank you all very much, and I hope you can help in any way possible.

With awesomeness,
Hackenbacker.

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:08AM EST

The Organization for Transformative Works publishes a peer-reviewed journal that has numerous articles on fandoms, fanfiction, and other fan activities if you do need a “long spralling academic journal.”

The Spacebattles Forum has countless threads on various fanfics and fanfic ideas. (You’re out of luck if you want NSFW content, though, as they have a very strict policy.)

TV Tropes has fanfic recs for virtually every show/movie/book out there.

Even though you can’t cite it directly, Wikipedia’s fanfiction article has 41 citations to various news articles, posts, etc that you can use.

Fandom Wank documents the jimmy rustling aspect of fanfics on fandoms (along wiht other fandom drama).

Equestria Daily combines a pre-reader system likened to a professional publisher that filters out the crap with user ratings to give “six star” stories--considered some of the best in the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic fandom.

And, of course, Fanfiction.net’s Forums also boosts many fanfic topics.

Chillingeffects.org covers some of the legal issues of fanfics. kentlaw.edu also has a paper on the subject of fanfic legality.

Jan 14, 2014 at 06:51AM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!