Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

24,388 total conversations in 3,327 threads

+ New Thread

Micheal Morones

Last posted Feb 18, 2014 at 07:32PM EST. Added Feb 07, 2014 at 09:17AM EST
5 posts from 4 users

So I was looking into creating a “Person” page for Micheal Morones since stuff is kinda blowing up recently. There have been several media outlet reports on him, as well as this:

I know there is also some controversy surrounding what is happening, so I figured I would see what you guys feel we need to include before putting up an article. Here are some notable post surrounding the controversy:

We also have a small amount of pics in our gallery that are tagged with his name, but I know there are more out there.

Edit: I’m thinking about making the page within 24hrs, else there really won’t be any point in posting it. The main media outlets posted their articles a day ago, so most people will have already caught up on the issue meaning we’re a day behind.

Last edited Feb 07, 2014 at 09:20AM EST
Feb 07, 2014 at 09:17AM EST

If some loser faggot’s suicide attempt is entryworthy, then i suppose this should be too. I have seen /pol/, /mlp/ thread on this one. It really didn’t leave the fandom itself. But if it has things to cover enough, go for an entry.

Feb 16, 2014 at 08:38AM EST

Alex Mercer wrote:

If some loser faggot’s suicide attempt is entryworthy, then i suppose this should be too. I have seen /pol/, /mlp/ thread on this one. It really didn’t leave the fandom itself. But if it has things to cover enough, go for an entry.

I think a difference is that you have a lot of things going on here. It’s not just a guy saying he’s going to commit suicide and then streaming the attempt.

Unlike 4chan, who basically gave him a site on which to stream his own death (forgive if my bias is showing,) the brony community rallied behind Morones. Furthermore, because of that support, it got a ton of press from very popular “news” sites such as People and CBS.

You also have to add in the fact that unlike the 20-year old, Morones was only 11 and was bullied.

Bullying, FiM, leaving the realm of a fandom’s interest to a broader news scope (to the point that J-Biebs even gave a tweet on it,) and being so young adds elements that give it more potential than the 4chan story.

I can’t make the call as to whether the entry should be made or should be deadpooled, but I think it’s notable, at least.

Last edited Feb 16, 2014 at 11:24AM EST
Feb 16, 2014 at 11:22AM EST

I’m not a super huge meme connoisseur but I do believe that since this was something that started online and caught the media’s attention I think that this deserves to be documented just as much if not more than the 4chan suicide guy.

Feb 18, 2014 at 03:14AM EST

Alright, all sound fair. I was going to be lazy and not do a write up, but I guess I’ll do something by Friday then.

Feb 18, 2014 at 07:32PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!