Forums / Meme Research

20,478 total conversations in 3,314 threads

+ New Thread

Can fanfiction be a meme?

Last posted Jul 27, 2009 at 06:16PM EDT. Added Jul 27, 2009 at 05:43PM EDT
3 conversations with 3 participants

A lot of people these days are writing fanfic’s. Could that be considered a meme, or not? IDK LOL… :D

Jul 27, 2009 at 05:43PM EDT

greeat question, beesandjam! there actually is a KYM entry related to the topic (see Alternative Universe / Fan Art) and i think the discussion is still ongoing. In my opinion, fan art should be at least considered an internet culture, since it’s almost exclusively hosted on the web.

Jul 27, 2009 at 06:05PM EDT

Fanart and fanfiction appeal to the core audience of the source material. But I don’t think it becomes an Internet Meme until it gains an audience outside of the context of the original audience.

I laugh at Mudkips, and I’ve never played Pokemon or seen an entire episode. That’s because I’m aware of the image macros and copypasta. These memetic materials are part of an inside joke that didn’t come Pokemon fans.

But since we’re also going to be expanding the site out to be more inclusive of memes that are more “direct from the mainstream” then I’m thinking there will probably be a place for fanfiction somewhere in between.

Jul 27, 2009 at 06:16PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!