Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

24,394 total conversations in 3,327 threads

+ New Thread


Christian Memes

Last posted Feb 24, 2014 at 09:37PM EST. Added Feb 22, 2014 at 07:52PM EST
19 posts from 8 users

So, when I got a hold of it, the Christianity article was in terrible shape. (No offense Random 21, but that thing was pretty pathetic. I’ve seen your good articles, but this was not one of them. Didn’t you make it for the April Fool’s contest anyways?) After much delay, it is now a work of art!

So, enough about me. Are there any important Christian memes I left out? Please inform me of them. If there isn’t a page for a Christian meme but it needs to be made, I caan make it or one of you can.

What I have so far:

Jesus
LOL Jesus
Jesus is a jerk
Raptor Jesus
Story Time Jesus
Last Supper Parodies
Buddy Christ
Jesus Take the Wheel
Ecce Homo
Jesusland
Jesus Man
Excuse Me Sir
Zombie Jesus
Guido Jesus
Hipster Jesus
Jesus Is My Friend
Advice God
Scumbag Christian
Westboro

Any that you feel I left out?

Feb 22, 2014 at 07:52PM EST
Quote

If you can count this one as a “Christian meme”, you forgot “Jesus Christ, It’s a Lion Get in the Car”

Last edited Feb 23, 2014 at 12:09AM EST
Feb 23, 2014 at 12:08AM EST

Jarl Balgruuf wrote:

If you can count this one as a “Christian meme”, you forgot “Jesus Christ, It’s a Lion Get in the Car”

I don’t think that exclamations or expressions count as directly related to Christianity. The meme isn’t related to Christianity at all other than that it has “Jesus Christ” in it, but that’s not really related to Jesus. Same thing with this:

I don’t know. Do you guys think Christian-inspired expressions like these deserve to be on the article? In my opinion, no, but I’ll see what you all think first.

Feb 23, 2014 at 12:24AM EST
Quote

Ruthless Reaper wrote:

I don’t think that exclamations or expressions count as directly related to Christianity. The meme isn’t related to Christianity at all other than that it has “Jesus Christ” in it, but that’s not really related to Jesus. Same thing with this:

I don’t know. Do you guys think Christian-inspired expressions like these deserve to be on the article? In my opinion, no, but I’ll see what you all think first.

That’s what I was debating. I considered it as a possibility due to the amount of times Jesus is referenced in the meme.

Feb 23, 2014 at 12:43AM EST

So you took a KYMIRL article, something that was originally intended as a bit of fun (not be taken seriously), and tried to make it an actual meme/collection?

Please see this topic in relation to the KYMIRL articles. They were supposed to be quality, but most of them that weren’t mod-produced were junk. Changing that entry is kind of along the lines of “cleaning” the KYMWiki – all you’re really doing is wiping out bit of KYM history.

We already have a Jesus article. Things pertaining to that specifically can be added under it, but anything else dealing with religion (such as Advice God) just need the “religion” tag. Using a second entry that covers the same topic really makes no sense.

Last edited Feb 23, 2014 at 01:21AM EST
Feb 23, 2014 at 01:05AM EST
Quote

Harshwhinny wrote:

So you took a KYMIRL article, something that was originally intended as a bit of fun (not be taken seriously), and tried to make it an actual meme/collection?

Please see this topic in relation to the KYMIRL articles. They were supposed to be quality, but most of them that weren’t mod-produced were junk. Changing that entry is kind of along the lines of “cleaning” the KYMWiki – all you’re really doing is wiping out bit of KYM history.

We already have a Jesus article. Things pertaining to that specifically can be added under it, but anything else dealing with religion (such as Advice God) just need the “religion” tag. Using a second entry that covers the same topic really makes no sense.

I am aware that it was made as a joke in a desperate attempt for a badge, I just thought it deserved a clean-up! I know a lot about the subject and its memes and I have editorship, so why not? It’s good for categorization and having a well-written article sitting around is better than having a deadpool-worthy article sitting around. Also, that was a long time ago. It’s not like the contest is still going on. The original editor pretty much just gave it to me and abandoned post, so he didn’t care what I did to it. I worked hard on that article and it’s my first individual article I’ve worked on out of many I am planning on, so I do feel proud of it. I re-wrote that thing from the ground up. The image gallery might also stir up some attention if it ever gets going.

Feb 23, 2014 at 01:48AM EST
Quote
I am aware that it was made as a joke in a desperate attempt for a badge

Random 21 did it. It wasn’t a desperate attempt for a badge.

It’s good for categorization

Read what I posted again:
“We already have a Jesus article. Things pertaining to that specifically can be added under it, but anything else dealing with religion (such as Advice God) just need the “religion” tag. Using a second entry that covers the same topic really makes no sense."

You’re literally trying to categorize a category that covers the same thing. There’s no reason for a “Christianity” category.

having a well-written article sitting around is better than having a deadpool-worthy article sitting around.

They’re almost all worthy of deadpooling, but they’re not deadpooled right now because it was a staff-supported theme for a day.

Also, that was a long time ago. It’s not like the contest is still going on.

Just over 10 months. Read what I posted again about it being a bit of KYM history.

The original editor pretty much just gave it to me and abandoned post, so he didn’t care what I did to it.

Random 21 is still an entry moderator on the site. Him no longer working on it isn’t an abandonment of post, it’s the theme being done and retired. There’s no reason to work any further on something that was only done as a theme-of-the-day.

I worked hard on that article and it’s my first individual article I’ve worked on out of many I am planning on, so I do feel proud of it. I re-wrote that thing from the ground up.

That’s nice.

Last edited Feb 23, 2014 at 02:12AM EST
Feb 23, 2014 at 02:11AM EST
Quote

I didn’t make the entry to get a badge, I wanted to help out with the April Fools joke. The reason I took myself off editorship is because, if it was going to be changed to become a more legitimate entry, I didn’t feel like there was any significant way I could assist. I didn’t want to get credit for something I didn’t really contribute to. Me getting credit would undermine your hard work. Plus I recall the admins telling us mods not to do anything with them, because they might use them for something else in the future, otherwise I’d have deadpooled all of ‘em long ago. I don’t appreciate the way people are shaming me for an entry I made as part of a joke day.

Last edited Feb 23, 2014 at 02:34PM EST
Feb 23, 2014 at 02:27PM EST
Quote

Random 21 wrote:

I didn’t make the entry to get a badge, I wanted to help out with the April Fools joke. The reason I took myself off editorship is because, if it was going to be changed to become a more legitimate entry, I didn’t feel like there was any significant way I could assist. I didn’t want to get credit for something I didn’t really contribute to. Me getting credit would undermine your hard work. Plus I recall the admins telling us mods not to do anything with them, because they might use them for something else in the future, otherwise I’d have deadpooled all of ‘em long ago. I don’t appreciate the way people are shaming me for an entry I made as part of a joke day.

It’s okay, I know it was just a joke thing. I’ve seen your good articles, I know you have the ability to make good articles. Sorry if I came off as a bit harsh towards your work. All the article really needed to be valid in the contest was an About, a Spread, and a Google Books chart. You did good under these circumstances, plus you didn’t plagiarize which is also a plus. Sorry for misjudging your intentions. From reading your posts on the forums, it seemed like you were doing it for the badge and the prize.

@Harshwinny

Regardless of what you say, I still think this along with a few other KYMIRL articles deserve to be fleshed out as authentic articles. Also, why would we put “Advice God”, “Scumbag Christian”, and “Westboro Baptist Church” under Religion when they are memes exclusive to Christianity? It seems more suitable to categorize them under Christianity. Religion in general should be used to cover more broad topics and other religions that don’t necessarily deserve their own page like Islam which only has one or two memes as far as I know and just its influence on the internet. Also, people in the comments were complaining about the quality of the article in its KYMIRL stage, so there was demand for its completion.

As for it being historical to KYM, who really cares? There are plenty of other KYMIRL articles that don’t even warrant a clean-up and will stay that way most likely. I think that the IRL articles that actually deserve a clean-up and full coverage shouldn’t be held back just to preserve it as a relic of times past. The only article that I really think shouldn’t be touched in order to preserve KYM’s history is Super Robo Jesus. As I said, there will be many others for people to see the results of the contest. Cleaning up a few won’t hurt anybody, Even in the original forum people like KFC suggested that some of the articles should be improved on at a later date. Random 21 even said that the admin wanted them not to be deadpooled for the purpose of improving them later. (I’m assuming).

Please stop trying to undermine my work and get to more important things. It’s not like the staff would get mad at me for putting out a well-written, relevant article or anything. I feel like you’re the only one rejecting this article.

Feb 23, 2014 at 04:29PM EST
Quote

Ruthless Reaper wrote:

It’s okay, I know it was just a joke thing. I’ve seen your good articles, I know you have the ability to make good articles. Sorry if I came off as a bit harsh towards your work. All the article really needed to be valid in the contest was an About, a Spread, and a Google Books chart. You did good under these circumstances, plus you didn’t plagiarize which is also a plus. Sorry for misjudging your intentions. From reading your posts on the forums, it seemed like you were doing it for the badge and the prize.

@Harshwinny

Regardless of what you say, I still think this along with a few other KYMIRL articles deserve to be fleshed out as authentic articles. Also, why would we put “Advice God”, “Scumbag Christian”, and “Westboro Baptist Church” under Religion when they are memes exclusive to Christianity? It seems more suitable to categorize them under Christianity. Religion in general should be used to cover more broad topics and other religions that don’t necessarily deserve their own page like Islam which only has one or two memes as far as I know and just its influence on the internet. Also, people in the comments were complaining about the quality of the article in its KYMIRL stage, so there was demand for its completion.

As for it being historical to KYM, who really cares? There are plenty of other KYMIRL articles that don’t even warrant a clean-up and will stay that way most likely. I think that the IRL articles that actually deserve a clean-up and full coverage shouldn’t be held back just to preserve it as a relic of times past. The only article that I really think shouldn’t be touched in order to preserve KYM’s history is Super Robo Jesus. As I said, there will be many others for people to see the results of the contest. Cleaning up a few won’t hurt anybody, Even in the original forum people like KFC suggested that some of the articles should be improved on at a later date. Random 21 even said that the admin wanted them not to be deadpooled for the purpose of improving them later. (I’m assuming).

Please stop trying to undermine my work and get to more important things. It’s not like the staff would get mad at me for putting out a well-written, relevant article or anything. I feel like you’re the only one rejecting this article.

Nah, don’t worry. My forum posts were more defending those who did want the prize. Users competed solely for prizes, mods didn’t agree, I supported the users.

Feb 23, 2014 at 04:34PM EST
Quote
Also, why would we put “Advice God”, “Scumbag Christian”, and “Westboro Baptist Church” under Religion when they are memes exclusive to Christianity?

I’m sorry, this is really bugging me.

Do you ever actually read the articles you’re referencing, or just assume that because “God” is in there, it must be Christian specific?

“Advice God is an advice animal image macro series featuring a portrait of an old man with grey hair and a long flowing beard. The images are typically captioned with text that denounces religion (often christianity) by pointing out apparent biblical contradictions and attributing mischievous behaviors to God.”

Often ≠ Always/Specifically

You putting this under “Christianity” instead of “Religion” actually strips away some of this meme’s usage.

While Christianity is the religious backing behind Westboro, the article itself doesn’t reference the word “Christ” even once except in the tags. The primary focus is on the anti-gay protests. It’s slightly more “Christian” focused than Tebowing, but not by much.

“Scumbag Christian” is actually about Christianity. Good job. Well done.



Also, people in the comments were complaining about the quality of the article in its KYMIRL stage, so there was demand for its completion.

Actually, there are no comments in the article about its previous content. It didn’t even get most of its comments until after you decided to edit it. Provide evidence or I’m just going to assume you’re attempting to appeal as a group to try and make your argument stronger (read: talking out of your ass).



As for it being historical to KYM, who really cares?
It’s not like the staff would get mad at me for putting out a well-written, relevant article or anything. I feel like you’re the only one rejecting this article.

Multiple users and mods I’ve discussed this with on Skype think it’s inappropriate. I won’t quote them or force their opinions into the matter because I’d rather see them involve themselves instead of me bringing their opinions into this matter without them being here.

But several people are against it.



It’s not like the staff would get mad at me…

I’m sorry, have you run any of this past the staff? It seems you just jumped on it and decided to do with it what you liked. I know almost no actual staff visit the forums, so I’d like to see where you actually contacted someone and got approval for this.

Random 21 even said that the admin wanted them not to be deadpooled for the purpose of improving them later. (I’m assuming).

>I’m assuming

Quit assuming things. You have no clue what they’ll be used for, so wait until it’s decided on before you jump to something.



Let’s break from the quoting to point out something you have continued to ignore.

We already have a Jesus article.

How about we take a look at your suggested articles, and see which ones are already covered under “Jesus”, shall we?

Red means already covered.
Green means not covered.
Blue means special circumstance.

Jesus – This is the article we’re discussing.
LOL Jesus
Jesus is a jerk
Raptor Jesus
Story Time Jesus
Last Supper Parodies
Buddy Christ
Jesus Take the Wheel
Ecce Homo – This article is about the botched painting itself, and doesn’t cover the religion.
Jesusland
Jesus Man
Excuse Me Sir
Zombie Jesus
Guido Jesus
Hipster Jesus
Jesus Is My Friend – Could go under Jesus
Advice God – Commonly used in relation to Christianity, but non-specific.
Scumbag Christian
Westboro – More about the anti-gay protesting than Christianity.

The vast majority of articles are already covered under “Jesus”. The ones that wouldn’t fall under that are very few, and should be simply tagged “religion”, as that’s the overall encompassing topic.

Please stop trying to undermine my work and get to more important things.

Why don’t you get down off of the idea that just because you worked on something means it’s worth anything, and go make a fucking article that’s actually needed.

Last edited Feb 24, 2014 at 12:00AM EST
Feb 23, 2014 at 11:44PM EST
Quote

So, I figured I’d just jump in and throw my opinion out there.

I’ve always believed that things made in jest should never be taken or altered to be taken seriously. The KYMIRL articles were made for April Fool’s day, therefore, in jest.

Feb 24, 2014 at 12:30AM EST
Quote

HolyCrapItsBob wrote:

So, I figured I’d just jump in and throw my opinion out there.

I’ve always believed that things made in jest should never be taken or altered to be taken seriously. The KYMIRL articles were made for April Fool’s day, therefore, in jest.

Despite that, some have potential and shouldn’t be left there just because it wasn’t serious to begin with. (Ex: Religion, recreational drug use (which has already been improved on by staff because of its notability), vampires, Halloween, doomsday, etc.

Just because the articles were based on a joke doesn’t mean they don’t have potential.

Feb 24, 2014 at 07:37PM EST
Quote

Ruthless Reaper wrote:

Despite that, some have potential and shouldn’t be left there just because it wasn’t serious to begin with. (Ex: Religion, recreational drug use (which has already been improved on by staff because of its notability), vampires, Halloween, doomsday, etc.

Just because the articles were based on a joke doesn’t mean they don’t have potential.

But just because some of the joke entries have potentional (read: not those you list there), doesn’t mean those that you think have potentional actually have it.

I’m joining Bob and Crazy here in that the Cristianity article should be left as it is:

  • 75% of the memes are already covered in the Jesus person entry, and fit MUCH better there because they are more related to Jesus as a person than Cristianity as a religion, by a large margin.
  • Basically, 90% of the memes you documented hardly have any close relation to Cristianity outside of trivial details. Christians didn’t make them with cristianity in their mind, the internet made them because either notable event or funny.
  • Basically the above 2 again, but now read Crazy’s post 3 above mine again.
  • It’s Cristianity, a religion that goes back decades. Your logic for it deserving an entry is solely based on “It has sub-memes”, of which all examples you listed can be debunked as more related to other stuff than actually Cristianity as a religion. The only really internet notable religion is the Westboro Baptist Church due to obvious reasons I shouldn’t have to list, and even that one isn’t related to Christianity on the internet.

Samuel wrote:

Please stop trying to undermine my work and get to more important things.

Prove yourself first, then we’ll talk. For now, get of your way too fucking high horse and face that you made a bad decision here. Just because you worked on something doesn’t mean it’s an object of worship. You really seem to overglorify your presence on the site and made the rookie mistake that you forgot that Hard work =/= good work. If you like to think you’re a figure of high importance here, give us reason to believe you are first.

Last edited Feb 24, 2014 at 08:47PM EST
Feb 24, 2014 at 08:40PM EST
Quote

RandomMan wrote:

But just because some of the joke entries have potentional (read: not those you list there), doesn’t mean those that you think have potentional actually have it.

I’m joining Bob and Crazy here in that the Cristianity article should be left as it is:

  • 75% of the memes are already covered in the Jesus person entry, and fit MUCH better there because they are more related to Jesus as a person than Cristianity as a religion, by a large margin.
  • Basically, 90% of the memes you documented hardly have any close relation to Cristianity outside of trivial details. Christians didn’t make them with cristianity in their mind, the internet made them because either notable event or funny.
  • Basically the above 2 again, but now read Crazy’s post 3 above mine again.
  • It’s Cristianity, a religion that goes back decades. Your logic for it deserving an entry is solely based on “It has sub-memes”, of which all examples you listed can be debunked as more related to other stuff than actually Cristianity as a religion. The only really internet notable religion is the Westboro Baptist Church due to obvious reasons I shouldn’t have to list, and even that one isn’t related to Christianity on the internet.

Samuel wrote:

Please stop trying to undermine my work and get to more important things.

Prove yourself first, then we’ll talk. For now, get of your way too fucking high horse and face that you made a bad decision here. Just because you worked on something doesn’t mean it’s an object of worship. You really seem to overglorify your presence on the site and made the rookie mistake that you forgot that Hard work =/= good work. If you like to think you’re a figure of high importance here, give us reason to believe you are first.

I know my ego may seem very big at times (I like to call it abnormally high self-esteem), and sometimes I might seem a bit stubborn, but I am starting to see the error of my ways.

However, I still see that many of those KYMIRL articles should be expanded on. To prevent further conflict, I should ask around to see if one of them should be improved on or not.

Deal Harshwinny, Random, and Bob? I’m still leaving that article as is though. Even though it might not have been a good decision, it’s not like I’m just going to put it back to how it was after wasting hours and hours of my life on it that I’ll never get back and I’m sure you’ll agree (I’m not even sure how I’d put it back to how it initially was from memory). There’s no going back on it now really. It can also serve as guidelines to fill in the missing sub-entries to the “Jesus” article that I included in “Christianity”, and who knows? Maybe in the future another non-Jesus-relate Christian meme will pop up that can be added. Who knows?

Feb 24, 2014 at 09:04PM EST
Quote

I’m really going to have to side with RM on this one – your mentality seems to be that putting out a huge quantity of content is most important and ignore quality, duplication, and need for the most part. You wasted a huge amount of time editing this article when we could have told you very quickly it wouldn’t pass muster, I’ve honestly yet to see a thread of yours that we don’t already have or that really merited discussion, and your ego has been immense about the whole thing – it just took us two days to convice you you wasted your time.

Take a step back, check the “I need to contribute everything” mentality a bit, and contribute with quality, not quantity.

Feb 24, 2014 at 09:30PM EST
Quote

Ruthless Reaper wrote:

I know my ego may seem very big at times (I like to call it abnormally high self-esteem), and sometimes I might seem a bit stubborn, but I am starting to see the error of my ways.

However, I still see that many of those KYMIRL articles should be expanded on. To prevent further conflict, I should ask around to see if one of them should be improved on or not.

Deal Harshwinny, Random, and Bob? I’m still leaving that article as is though. Even though it might not have been a good decision, it’s not like I’m just going to put it back to how it was after wasting hours and hours of my life on it that I’ll never get back and I’m sure you’ll agree (I’m not even sure how I’d put it back to how it initially was from memory). There’s no going back on it now really. It can also serve as guidelines to fill in the missing sub-entries to the “Jesus” article that I included in “Christianity”, and who knows? Maybe in the future another non-Jesus-relate Christian meme will pop up that can be added. Who knows?

“May seem”? More like clearly is. But let’s leave that a seperate case for this reply.

If you wish to expand on and research certain KYMIRL entries, my advice for now would be to just make a list of what you think are notable entries (alongside a link to the tag so others can check the rest of the options), and then discuss if they are actually worthy of documentation. Discuss and make joined decisions, don’t overglorify your own opinion and waste both your and our time again in the end.

I don’t mind that you leave the Christianity entry as it is. With or without your additions, the entry’s state of worthlessness won’t change.

Feb 24, 2014 at 09:33PM EST
Quote
Even though it might not have been a good decision, it’s not like I’m just going to put it back to how it was after wasting hours and hours of my life on it that I’ll never get back and I’m sure you’ll agree (I’m not even sure how I’d put it back to how it initially was from memory).

I’m pretty sure that’s the same reasoning parents have when their little monsters start showing signs of being a sociopath.

Feb 24, 2014 at 09:37PM EST
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Namaste! You must login or signup first!