Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

24,672 total conversations in 3,366 threads

+ New Thread

KYMIRL Improvement Research

Last posted Feb 25, 2014 at 11:06PM EST. Added Feb 24, 2014 at 10:07PM EST
19 posts from 7 users

So, because of previous conflict regarding the KYMIRL entries and whether some of the more noteworthy ones should be improved on or not, here is a thread to discuss just that. Post memes made for the KYMIRL contest that you believe are worthy of being expanded on if they haven’t been already and discuss which ones should be worked on. If there is a general consensus that an article should be updated, feel free to try if you have the skills and information to do so. Please only update these if we believe it is to be updated though. If this rule is broken, you will feel the wrath of the mods.

Just look up “KYMIRL” in the search and a bunch should pop up.

Last edited Feb 24, 2014 at 10:08PM EST
Feb 24, 2014 at 10:07PM EST
Please only update these if we believe it is to be updated though. If this rule is broken, you will feel the wrath of the mods.

>Please only update these if we believe it is to be updated though.
>only update these if we believe
>update these if we
>if we
>we

You really do have a high opinion of yourself, don’t you? Did you EVER get permission or confirmation to do this shit?

Just leave the KYMIRL articles alone for now, alright? Maybe go spend some time climbing down off of that pedestal you’ve put yourself on.

Last edited Feb 24, 2014 at 11:31PM EST
Feb 24, 2014 at 11:30PM EST

Sonata Dusk wrote:

Please only update these if we believe it is to be updated though. If this rule is broken, you will feel the wrath of the mods.

>Please only update these if we believe it is to be updated though.
>only update these if we believe
>update these if we
>if we
>we

You really do have a high opinion of yourself, don’t you? Did you EVER get permission or confirmation to do this shit?

Just leave the KYMIRL articles alone for now, alright? Maybe go spend some time climbing down off of that pedestal you’ve put yourself on.

Hey, I’m not messing with them, that’s why I made this thread. It’s to figure out what should happen with these articles. I showed you a list of things I believe that should be updated (except for the few that already have been. Ex: Drug Use and The Game)

I’m just saying “we” as in everyone ITT. I’m not saying I’m a mod if that’s what you were thinking.

Jeez, no matter how impartial I try to be on touchy subjects, I still get harassed for it. I’m just trying to improve the site. For now, I’m not touching these articles. I’m just trying to see what people want to do with them. If you just karma bomb me and keep accusing me of having an ego, nothing’s going to get accomplished.

So, do you think any of those deserve to be enhanced, or do you have any I didn’t include in mind?

Feb 24, 2014 at 11:56PM EST

Sam wrote:

I have to disagree. How about these?

Recreational Drug Use
Vampires
Halloween
Aliens
Doomsday
Manga (especially noteworthy)
United Kingdom
The Game (already confirmed BTW)
Fan-art (ridiculously meme-worthy)
The Beatles
Christmas
Kamehameha (how could you not?)
Gaming
Fan Fiction (Again, important)

And many more!

You were saying?

I could be wrong, but in my opinion at least, most of those are much too broad to make a legitimate entry on. Doomsday? You mean the thing that every major religion and people around the world have been talking about for thousands of years?

Feb 25, 2014 at 01:01AM EST

Sam wrote:

Recreational Drug Use
Vampires
Halloween
Aliens
Doomsday
United Kingdom
The Beatles
Christmas
Gaming

And many more!

You were saying?

- Wouldn’t really call it memetic
- Maybe but it’s more of a universal public conciousness thing, not really an internet-based meme
- no
- what dac said, also wouldn’t really qualify it as having an internet memetic presence
- see above
- I’d say anime is more prevalent in internet culture than manga and I’d rather see a merged anime and manga article, it just so happens we have an older article than that could also use some work but it’s not a KYMIRL article either
- definitely not a meme, if you’re talking about teaboos this is not the article to start it with
- that’s not even a kymirl article are you even trying
- ok i’ll give you that one
- not really an online-specific subculture, I’d even say that it’s more prevalent as an offline one
- like with halloween I don’t really feel that already existing holidays are memetic
- I’m on the fence about this one
- once again, ill give you that one
- the fucking video is older than kymirl what are you even trying to prove with that one

I’ve been on this site for more than four years trust me i think i have a grasp of what makes an internet meme

You’ve managed to completely ignore my advice and create yet more quantity with another thread when we explicitly said this would be a mod-discussed topic mostly beyond user input.

Once again:

Take a step back, drop the “I need to contribute more” attitude, and provide quality content instead of sheer quantity. Part of that quality includes discerning whether a thread/entry is necessary. You really need to learn to discern that.

Last edited Feb 25, 2014 at 01:42AM EST
Feb 25, 2014 at 01:37AM EST

Alright, I know most of them were meant not to be serious. If you think that they should just remain as they are please disregard the following post. Also, I’m only considering those that were made 10 months ago. Most of them that are older (Che Guevara’s Guerrillero Heroico is the best I can think of) are not really arguable if they are notable, and (usually) have more work done on them

I think the wilhelm scream is somewhat notable. However, there is an older entry for it so one should be gotten rid of.

May the force be with you I think is also notable, but more of IRL than internet. The only reason I haven’t contributed images to it was because of when it was made.

Afghan Girl Photo is a fairly famous photograph, and I’ve seen a few variants (best one was a Cracked photoshop contest with braces). However, I don’t really know if it merits an article any more than other famous photographs like V-J Day in Times Square

Chain letters is probably the best example of one that actually has a bit of a presence on the internet with emails. Possibly add things about Facebook posts of “share if you love/ hate X”, though those might need their own article.

I have to agree with Dac, many of these are a bit too broad and not extremely internet relevant to really have a definitive article on IMO (except the game). Fan Fiction and Fan Art are the only ones that I think are overly broad but extremely relevant to internet culture in that list.

Also, this brings up an issue that I’ve been wondering for a while. If KYM has an article on something, but isn’t really noteworthy for either the purposes of the site (IRL memes) or an internet “meme” that doesn’t have much spread and is deadpooled, but we see examples of it, should we contribute that content to that gallery if we personally think it would be impossible to be confirmed? There’s a lot of these IRL memes I sorta wanted to add stuff too long after April of last year, but when I saw they were just part of the KYM IRL Aprils fool’s joke, I didn’t know if I should.

Last edited Feb 25, 2014 at 02:04AM EST
Feb 25, 2014 at 01:52AM EST

No, I am not proud of them.

I would much rather these be hidden more than anything else. Writing up the vast majority of them within 15 minutes each and the fact most of them lack any major online relevance makes very few of them salvageable.

Feb 25, 2014 at 02:21AM EST

Sam wrote:

Recreational Drug Use
Vampires
Halloween
Aliens
Doomsday
United Kingdom
The Beatles
Christmas
Gaming

And many more!

You were saying?

Fanfiction and The Game were already entries long before the KYMIRL entries.

If you wanna pull up examples of why we should research KYMIRL, don’t pull up entries that are completely unrelated to them.

Twilit wrote:

You’ve managed to completely ignore my advice and create yet more quantity with another thread when we explicitly said this would be a mod-discussed topic mostly beyond user input.

In his defense, I did say it way ok to make a thread for this.

So yeah….. my bad.

Last edited Feb 25, 2014 at 08:12AM EST
Feb 25, 2014 at 08:07AM EST

RandomMan wrote:

Fanfiction and The Game were already entries long before the KYMIRL entries.

If you wanna pull up examples of why we should research KYMIRL, don’t pull up entries that are completely unrelated to them.

Twilit wrote:

In his defense, I did say it way ok to make a thread for this.

So yeah….. my bad.

Sorry! I thought those were KYMIRL. They were under the tag, so I didn’t bother to check twice.

Yes, it was your suggestion (sort of) to do this.

Whatever, Twilitlord clearly hates everything I post, so I shouldn’t bother anymore. I didn’t know this subject would get people so emotional.

Feb 25, 2014 at 08:37PM EST
Whatever, Twilitlord clearly hates everything I post, so I shouldn’t bother anymore. I didn’t know this subject would get people so emotional.

He doesn’t hate everything you post. I don’t either. That may or may not go for Bob too, I can never tell.

You do, however, seem to think that everything you touch turns to gold. You’re not Midas, and you need to drop that mentality.

Feb 25, 2014 at 09:10PM EST

Sonata Dusk wrote:

He doesn’t hate everything you post. I don’t either. That may or may not go for Bob too, I can never tell.

You do, however, seem to think that everything you touch turns to gold. You’re not Midas, and you need to drop that mentality.

“I’ve honestly yet to see a thread of yours that we don’t already have or that really merited discussion”
~Twilitlord

That may not exactly translate to hate, but I see that as “everything you’ve ever posted is worthless”.

I am aware of that, and I know that I have a long way to go in terms of my editing and whatnot, but for a first article, wouldn’t you consider that pretty good, regardless of the circumstances in which it was written? And, to be honest, would anyone be as mad about this as they are now if the article wasn’t part of KYMIRL and I had made it just now? Think about it. I know my ego may get in the way sometimes, but in time, it usually clears out and I see clearly. Still, it’s surprising how people don’t value anything I’ve done whatsoever. Not even one thing!

Twilitlord just basically pointed out the articles that deserve some attention, and I agree on his choices. That’s what this thread is for! So, what do you propose is to happen with these?

Last edited Feb 25, 2014 at 09:20PM EST
Feb 25, 2014 at 09:18PM EST
So, what do you propose is to happen with these?

Leave them alone until either:

A: You get permission from the staff to even discuss this, OR
B: Wait until the staff decides to do something with the entries themselves.

Feb 25, 2014 at 09:26PM EST

Sonata Dusk wrote:

So, what do you propose is to happen with these?

Leave them alone until either:

A: You get permission from the staff to even discuss this, OR
B: Wait until the staff decides to do something with the entries themselves.

I have to agree on this. I should have talked to them about this is the first place. This will have to do for now.

Feb 25, 2014 at 09:56PM EST

If you posted good ideas or respected our feedback when you posted bad ideas, we wouldn’t be so angry. But your ego makes good discussion impossible, and it’s that ego that receives the hate.

Face that your ideas simply aren’t always the best for KYM and drop the mindset that you’re some site Messiah.

I am aware of that, and I know that I have a long way to go in terms of my editing and whatnot, but for a first article, wouldn’t you consider that pretty good, regardless of the circumstances in which it was written?

Was there a need for that question outside of hoping for some positive feedback to feed your ego?

And, to be honest, would anyone be as mad about this as they are now if the article wasn’t part of KYMIRL and I had made it just now?

Whether you fixed a KYMIRL entry or made a new one, the conclusion would be the same in that it was a pointless entry and that every sub-meme it covers is misplaced in there. It would’ve gotten the Deadpool and we left it there.

We wouldn’t be mad then, and we weren’t initially mad now because it’s ok to make a derp. We aren’t mad because you made a derp, we are mad because you made a derp and then refused to stubbornly accept that and kept believing you are incapable of making a derp. If you accepted our feedback right away, there was no need for us to get mad.

Still, it’s surprising how people don’t value anything I’ve done whatsoever. Not even one thing!

I know you have good ideas hidden in there, the motivation and basis is there. But your problem is that you dream too big and want too much right away, while giving away an aura that it’s mostly to elevate your status on the site. You don’t post a suggestion, you post a solution you believe is flawless under any circumstances.

Like your KYMIRL “fix”. Instead of asking what to do with the entries, you aimed too high and tried to fix one right away by your own opinion alone, believing that was the only proper action to take. Or this thread to advertise the site. It’s good that you’d like to see the site getting more popularity, but then immediatly you want too much and expect an undying following with your idea.

It may seem that right now we’re picking on you, I can understand that, but some people need a large amount of pedestral kicking before they finally get down to sane levels and face reality and then improve as site contributors. You are still a work in progress.

Last edited Feb 25, 2014 at 10:03PM EST
Feb 25, 2014 at 09:59PM EST

@Randomman

One problem that surfaced recently is that apparently, I need to ask permission before doing anything. Ex: Updated the Christianity article. Bad idea! Should have asked first! I made this thread. Bad idea! Should have asked first! Made this. Bad idea! Should have asked first!

Do I really need to ask someone before doing anything like I’m a baby or something? Also, most people in the comments agreed on the “Heresy” one and a forum has been made before inquiring about whether it should be made or not. I still stand by that one, but the other two were derps.

If everyone suggests that I stop being so active, what do you suggest I do then? I don’t really see what I could really do if everything I’ve posted has received backlash lately other than add tweaks to already solid entries and screw around on JFF. I’m serious about this, do you have any suggestions on what I can do to contribute? My mind is open. Speak to me Sensei!

Feel free to keep kicking. I need it. Not too hard though. Twilit’s comment actually hurt, and that’s quite a feat considering how headstrong I am. It made me lose my motivation to do anything on this site. Well, for a few hours tops, but it still happened.

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:26PM EST

Bad idea! Should have asked first!

It’s not that you should, it’s more that it was the smarter move at that moment. The KYMIRL entries were all joke entries, and left untouched after April Fools. So suddenly deciding to fix them wasn’t a smart move, and was something best discussed first.

This thread wasn’t a bad idea, but it’s the aftermath of the Cristianity derp, so take it with a grain of salt.

The Heresy entry didn’t require asking first. Entries get made daily, you weren’t doing much wrong in deciding to create it. A thread discussing it did get a mix of support, so it was worth a shot.

Also, most people in the comments agreed on the “Heresy” one and a forum has been made before inquiring about whether it should be made or not. I still stand by that one, but the other two were derps.

The future of that entry is a different case. As was shown it received mixed opinions. If it helps you, I’m more with the side that wanted a seperate entry for it. But having my support isn’t a breakthrough.

But now that the entry has been made, I doubt it’ll be deadpooled, so you’re free to expand on it. Your writing skills aren’t the best yet, but they’re passable for a beginner.

I’m serious about this, do you have any suggestions on what I can do to contribute?

Sometimes laying low is the best decision to make. Wait until something pops up you can contribute in, whether something site related or just a thread discussion. Don’t force being contributive, just enjoy your time on the site. If you wish to help through writing entries, we still have some topics lying around.

Last edited Feb 25, 2014 at 11:02PM EST
Feb 25, 2014 at 11:00PM EST

@Randomman

Thanks for the suggestions! I guess I could lay low… For as long as I can stand at least. Now that I know people don’t like the KYMIRL things being tampered with, I’ll try tampering with other things instead.

On my writing for the heresy article, honestly, I went into that blind. I had no idea what it was, yet I saw it everywhere. I was planning to figure out through KYM, but surprisingly, the article was non-existent. This inspired me to make the article so others wouldn’t be confused as well, because the word is everywhere on blogs and forums and such. I just did some research, figured out that it came from WH40K (Never heard of it before now TBH), and wrote it up with the bare necessities for an article. I’m looking for someone who knows more to help though.

Well, now that that tangent is over, I’ll try to listen to your Protips and see if they work. Ciao!

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:06PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!