Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

24,737 total conversations in 3,379 threads

+ New Thread

Important question about Failboat.

Last posted Dec 08, 2009 at 02:48PM EST. Added Dec 06, 2009 at 03:14PM EST
6 posts from 3 users

Where (and exactly when) did it originate?

That’s all I need to know to complete my entry.

EDIT: Under the comments of the original Failblog version, I found this comment:
This site is exactly like icanhazchzburger. Bunch of retards that think a stolen 4chan/mass email joke is the fucking HEIGHT of humor. Makes sense i suppose that most of the people here are liberal retards considering they’re the intelligent party.
Ignoring the fact that whoever posted this is a conservative idiot;
Did failboat start on 4chan?

Dec 06, 2009 at 03:14PM EST

As you probably know, the fail meme began on 4chan around 2005. Falblog (part of the Cheezburger network) popularized Fail images to an even wider audience. From memory I think Failblog launched late 2007 or early 2008.

Fail had been used on 4chan pretty widely early on. I’m sure it didn’t take long for someone to slap FAIL on an image of a sinking ship.

The Cougar Ace incident happened on July 23, 2006, and you’ve done a fine job documenting that.

The first boat to appear on ED’s Fail entry was the Titanic in November of 2006.

It’s hard to say what was the FIRST failboat image, but it looks like there’s enough evidence to show that the Cougar Ace image is one of the most widely-used within the concept of failboats.

Dec 07, 2009 at 09:31AM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!