Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,809 total conversations in 4,530 threads

+ New Thread

Bob, the Subgenius and Discordian

Last posted Dec 31, 2009 at 09:33PM EST. Added Dec 07, 2009 at 02:52PM EST
3 posts from 2 users

Hello there, I wanted to talk to the nice folks in charge of this site, I hope they will read my message.

First of all, it's a good idea to keep track of the history of "memes" on Internet, and also, why not also keeping track of the very very old websites in the history of the Web, such as WeightlessDog or Napster or whatever.

Then, I wanted to know if you guys consider as "memes" the following :

1) Everything related to "Bob" and the Subgenius.
( see Subgenius[dot]com )

2) Everything related to godess Eris, and Discordianism.

They both are in fact fake religions disguised as jokes, and shared by a large fan-community.

Please answer !!!

Yes and yes.

I encourage you to write up everything you know about their histories and how they spread, and add it to our Submissions section.
https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/new

We will then review your submission, fact-check it to the best of our abilities, and then add it to our Confirmed section.

We've been desperately lacking an article on Bob.

Bumping this because it's a subject that I'd like to spread more time researching. The existing entry gives a lot of info on the history of Bob and Discordian but could use more analysis of who created derivative works, what sort of methods of advertising and word-of-mouth were employed in promoting the idea, and mostly focus more heavily on what sorts of third-party Subgenious and Bob materials have been created.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!