Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

“This thread is now X.” / “This is now an X thread.”

Last posted Apr 23, 2014 at 05:14AM EDT. Added Apr 22, 2014 at 01:58AM EDT
3 posts from 3 users

Do we need an article for this? I slightly covered it in Threadjacking, but there seemed to be a few images/results of it. Heck, google wouldn't pull up any search insights on "threadjacking" yet i got responses for "this is thread is now" and "this is now a spiderman thread." Of course there are only really 3 variants of this that I know of and they involve:

• 60s Spiderman
  • Ponies
  • The Old Spice Guy

Not sure if it's frequent enough for it's own article. Anyways, this thread is now discussion. Discuss.

We have an entry for this thread (is) X, but it looks like it is just referring to images about people's opinion's about a thread (though there are instances of overlap with "this thread is now X") Also, the condition of it is terrible, last being updated 3 years ago. Considering that, it may be better to start a new one if one is merited.

Personally, I think it could be mentioned under threadjacking, but then again, sometimes the phrase "This thread is now X" isn't necessarily a threadjacking attempt, just posting approval/ disapproval of the thread.

“This thread is now X” isn’t necessarily a threadjacking attempt

I agree with Jacob, we cannot really define this as a threadjacking. Ponies, spiderman, exc subcultures are most likely to derail any thread. But those image macros are mostly supposed to be meta comments.

For instance, if you think the thread is shit, you'll post spiderman on that thread. 60s Spiderman macros are some sort of shitpost subculture on 4chan. But when you post a spiderman on a thread, it also includes a hidden meta message: "This thread sucks, lets derail it with posting spiderman image macros"
That's why those image series are supposed to be meta, not derail weapons.

Last edited Apr 23, 2014 at 05:20AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!