Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

Ridley is Too F*cking Big

Last posted May 14, 2014 at 02:12AM EDT. Added May 12, 2014 at 04:43AM EDT
6 posts from 4 users

PLEASE PUT ASIDE YOUR PERSONAL OPINIONS ON THIS DEBATE BEFORE POSTING IN HERE. THIS IS NOT A DEBATE THREAD, IT'S A RESEARCH THREAD

Okay, I realized we don't have an entry for this yet, but I think with the lead up to Super Smash Bros 4, the debate of Ridley being too big to be a playable character is definitely noteworthy.
I am not actually in a good position to wright an article right now, so I was hoping I could get some people mobilized to help me find out the origins and spread of this.

Canon Average Size of Ridley:

Basic suggested size for making Ridley small enough to be playable:

Image Parody Examples:

Adlibed Example Arguments For Ridley's Inclusion Against His Common Size:

~"He was just about a foot taller than Samus in the original Metroid!"
~"What about the intro to Super Smash Brothers Melee where he looked just a few feet higher than Samus when you took perspective into account?"
~"Bowser is just as big right?"
~"Can't they just shrink Ridley down like some of the other characters they have had to resize to fit into the game? (the shrinking of Bowser, the growing of the Kirby Characters and Olimar, etc)
~"Isn't it just Meta Ridley who is that big?"

Adlibed Example Counter-Arguments to the above points:

~"That's been the only time Ridley was ever that size, and literal NES Ridley looks insanely derpy."
~"At the time, there has only ever been Two Metroid Games with Ridley in it. Metroid and Super Metroid. So it was thematically correct for the time Melee was released. Also the intro didn't account for Ridley's Tail."
~"Bowser can change his size canonically. And is usually that size in any of the spinoff games."
~Two Points: 1. "Ridley is not only large, but he is also fast. If you shrink him down and make him "Heavyweight", you lose a lot of what Ridley actually is." 2. "Despite resizing being a common thing in Smash Bros, all the characters within the same represented universe (example: Kirby and King Dedede) are still scaled to each other in the same way as they where in their source material"
~"Classic Ridley just likes to curl up for whatever reason. Animating a creature that big back then would have looked wonkey and put major stress on the hardware."

Also noteworthy mentions that even the Smash Brothers Series Creator Masahiro Sakurai has commonly stated he thinks Ridley is too big to be workable as a playable character, but also commonly teases the crowd by saying things like "Size has rarely mattered in Smash Brothers."

Last edited May 12, 2014 at 05:03AM EDT

I plan on writing a new entry, but I wasn't thinking about this one. I could start tonight, but I'm most likely not going to get far by the end of the night, considering how I have somewhere to be tomorrow.

I remember that this started on a GameFAQs thread. It looks like the original thread has long since been deleted, but I will tell you that the argument really started there. I'd note that the original phrase was "Ridley is too big", no expletive included.

Anyway, have a couple of images!

Dr. Chill wrote:

I plan on writing a new entry, but I wasn't thinking about this one. I could start tonight, but I'm most likely not going to get far by the end of the night, considering how I have somewhere to be tomorrow.

Yo man, please try to discuss this with OP as well. No offense to you, but considering he brought the idea forward it might be that he rather wants to launch the entry himself as well.

Of course if he's cool with you starting it, don't hold back, but I'm rather save than sorry.

@Nats

Yeah, go ahead, it's big alright (pun intended, hue), and is certainly growing in popularity with the new game. Not to forget Sakurai's joke tweet.

Last edited May 13, 2014 at 08:42PM EDT

RandomMan wrote:

Yo man, please try to discuss this with OP as well. No offense to you, but considering he brought the idea forward it might be that he rather wants to launch the entry himself as well.

Of course if he's cool with you starting it, don't hold back, but I'm rather save than sorry.

@Nats

Yeah, go ahead, it's big alright (pun intended, hue), and is certainly growing in popularity with the new game. Not to forget Sakurai's joke tweet.

I only said I could possibly start the entry because of the words "I'm not in a good position to write an article right now.", but it's ok.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!