Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,809 total conversations in 4,530 threads

+ New Thread

Twitch Gamer Gets "Swatted"

Last posted Aug 31, 2014 at 11:49AM EDT. Added Aug 28, 2014 at 11:41AM EDT
17 posts from 13 users

Wow, from the description I thought it was just another name for a specific kind of raid, but this is dangerous. Shame on whoever does this, you're messing with real people, not a bunch of polygons like in a game.

Well I was watching his live stream when it happened, so I thought this moment was a joke because Kootra was playing Counter Strike ('cause well you know). Instead when the others figured it did not look pretended, we all freaked out. I think the police got the caller, so I really hope that dude regrets what he's done.

Calling this a "trend" that gamers are doing to each other is rather quickly jumping the gun (no pun intended) don't you think? How many reports are there of this happening? The article cites 2, and one of them didn't even have to do with streaming. The Creatures are a high profile group, people target them for "pranks" all the time. This one was quite creative (along with extremely dangerous), but there isn't enough here to warrant an article claiming it's happening everywhere.

On the video itself, that was a super stressful situation but hilarious looking back (obviously cus nobody got hurt). When Kootra was explaining to the officers what he was doing and instructing them how to shut off the stream I couldn't help but give out a few chuckles. I would pay money to see the chat log for that part of the stream.

But seriously, I'm glad nothing bad happened and everyone came out alright. I actually feel bad for the officers, they were treating this as a high threat situation as the puppet of someone's prank and thousands of people saw them look like idiots because of it.

I didn't exactly call this a trend, I called it a thing, but a quick youtube search for "swatting" or "swatted" pulls up a couple of other instances of this. It's something to watch for at least.

Last edited Aug 28, 2014 at 07:35PM EDT

@Cute Master:
I was more referring to the article than by your OP. This seems like a "thing" (whatever that means) and if it becomes more common (which hopefully it won't cus it's just terrible) then yeah it has potential to become a trend. I was just saying my thoughts on what this is in relation to trending/warranting a KYM page

I think this exact same thing was done to PhantomL0rd (a League of Legends streamer) like 8-9 months ago.

If I recall correctly, some DDoS group (Derp Trolling?) came to his twitch stream and started following him and taking down servers he was playing on. After a few pizza delivery pranks, an entire SWAT team was sent to his house to solve a "hostage situation".

As stupid as it is, it might be a "thing".

I get the feeling that the mainstream media will somehow find a way to turn this into "New media is bad". We can only hope that whatever asshats who do this type of thing get caught.

Ticklechap Crispybottom wrote:

This has got to be super illegal, right? They must be able to track those assholes down, don't they?

Very illegal.

And this is why many people tend to oppose anonymity on the internet; stupid shit due to butthurt idiots leading to serious problems.

Which is a damn shame, because of how hard the majority of us have fought to stay anonymous.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!