Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

Should Gorillaz get its own entry?

Last posted Sep 26, 2014 at 12:04PM EDT. Added Sep 25, 2014 at 09:34PM EDT
3 posts from 3 users

Dunno if this should be here or in General discussions, but eh.
Now, to say that Gorillaz isn't a subculture is a outright lie, I have seen many pieces of fanart, fanfiction, fan animation, etc. about Gorillaz on the internet. The group also has a meme (albeit, not so widely spread) around its second album's cover.
So, all in all, should Gorillaz get an entry?

Skrillex has an entry, so it's not out of the question for musicians or bands to end up documented.

However note the reason why Skrillex got an entry. It's not because he's famous. It's because he spawned tons of memetic activity throughout the internet. Hashtags, Tubmlr fads, catchphrases, macros etc, and his creations have been remixed into many other memes and macros as well.

Same goes for Daft Punk

So the question is if Gorillaz has been involved in as much meme mutation as Skrillex and Daft Punk. If you can find as many Gorillaz memes then go ahead and start and entry to summarize them all. But if it looks like they still aren't that significant then wait and see.

Hmmm…

There looks to be enough fanart to justify an entry, but is there really still a following? They fell apart in 2012 didn't they?

From Wikipedia:

In April 2012, Albarn told The Guardian that he and Hewlett had fallen out and that future Gorillaz projects were "unlikely".

Also, ponies.

Edit: I'm not really sure, but I guess nothing in the site said we couldn't catalog old subcultures so long as they had an impact in internet history.

Last edited Sep 26, 2014 at 12:07PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!