Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

Christina Hoff Sommers

Last posted Oct 23, 2014 at 07:45PM EDT. Added Oct 21, 2014 at 04:08PM EDT
15 posts from 7 users

Does she deserve an entry? She's become more well known thanks to GamerGate but she also appeared in Bill Maher's show back in 2001. She's also the host of the webshow The Factual Feminist and has written for the Huffington Post

Also, take a look at this image

The first tweet is from August 30th. Notice that she has around 8 thousand followers. Now, she has over 23 thousand followers.

I personally think she does. In fact, I've already started writing the entry in Microsoft Word. But I wanna hear your opinions. Does she deserve an entry or not?

She's gaining quite a bit of popularity, so I think that she deserves an entry. I really like her work, and she seems like she's one of the good feminists. If more of the feminist community shared her insight, I'd probably support them a lot more.

Perhaps not a meme entry, but a person entry perhaps. Not every internet person we have an article on is awash in derivatives. Most of them are just prominent individuals.

Edit: Ninja'd

Last edited Oct 21, 2014 at 04:41PM EDT

xTSGx wrote:

MDFification said:

Media prominence does not equal meme.

I could have sworn KYM had a "Person" category.

Which is relevant only if that person is the subject of large amounts of derivative content. To be relevant in terms of documentation requires both spread and derivative content. Which, in the case of Christina Sommers, seems to consist entirely of GGers posting "thank you based mom". That's nowhere near enough derivative content to justify an entry.

Spread =/= relevance to internet culture.

Last edited Oct 21, 2014 at 10:42PM EDT

Γ Da Count Γ wrote:

And what about Roxane Gay? She has nothing to do with internet/meme culture, yet she got an entry. At least Christina have some involvement with GamerGate.

Roxane Gay shouldn't have an entry IMO.
That's like saying Alec Baldwin should have an entry; he's active in GG and has much more media presence than Christine Sommers. Heck, why don't we just make every celebrity who's posted in a popular hashtag an entry?

I do believe you mean Adam Baldwin.

And it's not like Chrstina was totally unknown to the internet before GG. She had a Reddit AMA back in 2013 and there is a post on Tumblr which shows a SJW burning one of her books that gained over 32 thousand notes.

Several posts about her tweets and videos have several hundred notes in Tumblr and some even have one or two thousands. And let's be honest, she gets way more attention than Adam Baldwin by the GG community. I don't think that he has a nickname like Based Mom does. We must not forget her episode of the Factual Feminist on sexism in video games, which have now gained 500 thousand views. One of her books was also on New York Time's list of notable books in 2000. Her entry wouldn't just be about GamerGate, It's also going to be about her views on feminism itself. She may not be the most prominent person on the web but she is certainly becoming more prominent on the internet.

And besides, we have entries on people who's only involvement with the internet is their profiles on social media, not actually contributing to Internet/meme culture.

I suppose we should make a segment on the GamerGate entry about notable people on both sides. But Christina has a lot more to offer than just GamerGate. Like I mentioned, her entry would also be about her views on feminism, and KYM does document a lot about feminism on the internet. Just look at the highlight segment on the Feminism entry. Christina would fit right in the criticism segment as her books and videos tend to criticise third wave feminism strongly.

MDFification wrote:

Roxane Gay shouldn't have an entry IMO.
That's like saying Alec Baldwin should have an entry; he's active in GG and has much more media presence than Christine Sommers. Heck, why don't we just make every celebrity who's posted in a popular hashtag an entry?

The staff are expanding to some pretty poor areas sometimes, so look out before they get ideas.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!