Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

Dance Styles

Last posted Jan 03, 2010 at 02:19AM EST. Added Jan 02, 2010 at 02:17PM EST
9 posts from 3 users

Now, I don't wanna rain on anybody's parade here, but something that doesn't really make sense to me is the inclusion of Jumpstyle as a confirmed internet meme while something like the Charleston is deadpooled. Rihk points out a pretty good reason for this disparity, but there are countless other dances that are primarily spread through the internet medium as well. Are we going to include crip walking (c-walk), pop 'n' locking, melbourne shuffle, soukous and break dancing? Are these things really internet memes or just styles of dancing? A derivative, as I think of it, is something that mutates the source material in a particular way, not simply imitating it directly.

I think shuffling and jumping is great and fits with the music and culture, but just because some of that culture is exposed through the internet makes it a meme? Can we consider gamelan a meme because I can find countless videos and American imitations of it on the internet (not to mention its appearance in DDR)? The inclusion of this stuff just makes me wonder what the definitions are, because it still seems like there's no clear cut definition. I think including a primer when you attempt to submit something is going to cut down on poor submissions, but I think there's an overflow not because of "noob" users that need to "lurk moar", but because this site hasn't defined what it wants. It's more like a "we'll know it when we see it" definition now, which isn't very efficient for stopping poor submissions before they happen.

Last edited Jan 02, 2010 at 02:26PM EST

I'm with you on that question.
While Japanese dances like Caipirinha or soaring dance either come from animes or are created from a particular medium which then mutate in a dance, Jumpstyle and the Charleston existed well before the Internet.
But, even if Jumpstyle has been greatly helped by Internet to spread itself, it was already popular enough in Europe, at least in some countries…

There are some entries that has been confirmed whereas they are not complete, or while the definition of a meme isn't precise enough to prevent users from having some confusion. I'm thinking about the "Crank That" entry, actually.

A FAQ is in the making for further help but still…

Last edited Jan 02, 2010 at 03:16PM EST

Other than the fields for information, this is the only direction you get when you begin to submit a meme:
"Where did this meme come from? What variations exist? Why is it notable? Where is it going?"

These are great questions, but there needs to be some definable, quantifiable guidelines that a user can consider when submitting a meme that will effectively rule out or reinforce their suggestion before they submit.

The author of the Jumpstyle entry insists that widespread popularization of the dance is due to sharing of online videos.

The Soulja Boy dance spread via video sharing and that's just a solid fact. Soulja Boy's popularity grew out of a viral video before getting any professional advertising or record contract. It started out as a legitimate viral spread.

The Charleston spread back in the 1920's, well before their was any sort of internet to speak of.

Popping started in the 70's.

C-Walking became widespread in other media prior to the internet. Breakdancing as well.

I don't know anything about soukous but Wikipedia does a pretty good job of tracing its history from the 1930's through the 60's through the 90's to today.

The Melbourne Shuffle I think is questionable. It states that the dance had been around since the 80's which makes me think the internet's part it it's popularity is less relevant.
The low volume of search interest makes me think that it hasn't really broken into any new audience outside of the one that existed prior to the internet.

And the similarities between The MB shuffle and Jumpstyle make me question the Jumpstyle article as well.

If Jumpstyle really did become a widespread phenomenon prior to the internet, then we may have to revoke its "Confirmed" status.

Now I don't know the definite origins of Jumpstyle, but according to the article it really took off in 2006. Google Insights also supports that idea.
http://www.google.com/insights/search/#q=jumpstyle&cmpt=q
Google insights also shows that searches for Jumpstyle came primarily from The Netherlands.

I think we can take for granted that the style of dance emerged from what was happening in real life in the clubs and other parties, but for how long prior to its presence online?

There have been rave forums and music forums for at least the last 15 years, and probably much longer. But ever since video sharing has become widespread, dances have become a piece of culture that spread much further and quicker than before, especially those set to electronic music. In fact, many of the events where people will happen to come in contact with these specific styles of dance are found out about both online and in real life; through both web forums as much as flyers at record stores.

Jumpstyle is just one of those dances that's part of a real life scene that has becomes widespread much quicker because of online communities.

Regardless of the fact that a dance originates IRL, the idea and form of the dance spread to larger audience because of online interactions. In cases where the dance is new and the dancers are among the internet savvy, the dance spreads both IRL and online simultaneously.

But it's not like people are seeing the dance in TV and movies. It's grassroots. Many people can come into contact with the dance for the first time by viewing it online. Some become compelled to create their own Jumpstyle videos, adding their own unique style, while others may not even partake in the dance, but go on to still have conversations about the subject. The meme spreads. From a cultural anthropology standpoint, the dance of a culture is a big point of interest. So if a dance finds new audiences online, it becomes relevant as the dance of a certain slice of online communities.

Google Trends actually does a pretty good job at illustrating the relevance of the dances mentioned.

Light Blue: jumpstyle,
Red: melbourne shuffle
Orange: breakdancing
Green: C-walk
Dark Blue: "the Charleston"

light blue: jumpstyle
red: crank dat
orange: lean wit it
green: macarena
dark blue: waltz

I think it's pretty clear when the trend is spreading virally, and when it's a long-established cultural fixture. Breakdancing, C-Walk, the Charleston, the Macarena, and The Waltz are all dances that are no longer spreading. They get traffic from their core audiences. Meanwhile, Jumpstyle, Crank Dat, and to a lesser extent the Melbourne shuffle all experienced fast rises in popularity online, growing to popularity outside of their initial audiences.

I threw "Lean wit it" in their because it's another recent fad dance that was born of a professionally produced song that got radio airplay, music videos on TV, and plenty of online advertising and parody videos. But the popularity was more advertising than grassroots.

So that's really the main question then. Did Jumpstyle take off overnight because of a music video that gets repeated 10 times a day, reaches a Billboard top 10 list and owes it's popularity to an artist or record lable? Or is it something that people just started doing, put online, and turned it into a viral sensation?

While I completely agree with everything you said, Chris, there is something that is still puzzling me about Jumpstyle.

According to wikipedia (I know, Wikipedia isn't a reliable source but still), Jumpstyle was born in Belgium around 1997.

So, it can't be an overnight take off because we don't know what really happened between 1997 and 2005 (date of your Google trend) or 2007 (date stated for the article). As far as I'm concerned, I've been made aware of the phenomenon 1 or 2 years ago on a forum post, so when it exploded on Internet.
But what it seems to be is that there have been a 8 years gap between its creation and its online phenomenon.

Being in Europe, I don't remember any article, TV show, newspaper or even online mention of that dance before what I said above, but I'm not reliable enough for I wasn't interested in dance styles and such…
The best way to know if Jumpstyle was an IRL phenomenon before the online thing is to find notable articles made before 2005-2007 and talking about it but, because there must have been thorough researchs in order to get the entry confirmed, I guess no articles like that have been found…

I wasn't able to find much written about it prior to 2006. One article that came in handy is here:
http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http://jumpisthestyle.com/jumpstyle/overjump/&sl=auto&tl=en

It's a dutch history of Jumpstyle, Google translated into English.

As a musical genre, it sounds like it was around in the 90's and known only through parts of the Netherlands and Belgium.

I can only assume that the phrase "jumped on the microbe" is a translation of the Dutch equivalent to "went viral".

The article only speaks of Jumpstyle in the terms of a music genre. But following the 2006 revival, the term seems to become mostly about the dance.

According to this article when people say that Jumpstyle got it's start in the 90's, they're actually talking about how Hardcore Techno / Hardstyle got it's start in the 1990s, and that by 2007 it really spread out to surrounding counties. We have the data to support that this happened online.

This website (now defunct USAJumpstyle) talks about how Jumpstyle is a dance set to a distinctive musical genre also called Jumpstyle or Hardstyle that is an offshoot to gabber. When I was a teenager I was a bit of a raver, and I had heard of gabber, hardcore, happy hardcore, etc, but hadn't heard of Jumpstyle. But somewhere along the lines I grew up.

I used to be really active on the MNvibe.com forums.
The first mention of Jumpstyle comes in 2007. What did they post?
This video.

28 Million views.

Hardstyle shows up earlier in 2002, but only in the context of the genre of music.

Everywhere I look, I'm finding that gabber music spawned hardstyle music, which people developed a distinctive style of dance to in the Netherlands around 2003, and when people starting making jumpstyle tutorial videos in 2006, the idea spread through Europe and into the US. Now the term Jumpstyle refers to a dance style that spread mostly because of Youtube.

Last edited Jan 02, 2010 at 11:27PM EST

I'll use some of this info to improve the existing Jumpstyle entry tomorrow. Also, I appreciate a good research challenge like this now and then.

Last edited Jan 02, 2010 at 11:28PM EST

Oh I missed this section completely.

While videos have been available on YouTube and MySpace for a few years, Jumpstyle was not known to many people in the USA until recently. On May 30, 2007, the Gold Inferno auditioned for Fox Broadcasting’s “So You Think You Can Dance” television show.

According to Google Trends, between the hours of 8pm and 9pm ET on this date, the frequency of searches related to “jump style dancing” dramatically increased. Thank you Gold Inferno!

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!