Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

24,734 total conversations in 3,378 threads

+ New Thread

Sturgeon Face

Last posted Jan 08, 2010 at 02:23PM EST. Added Jan 07, 2010 at 12:36AM EST
7 posts from 6 users

[[NOTE: If you don’t know what this is, follow this link]]

I’ve been thinking about this for a while and I’m asking to see if anyone can find any info about Sturgeon Face which could ascertain its internet memeticity because I’m bending towards “not a meme” at this point.

You see, my conclusion is that it’s just a reoccurring facial gesture that people have given a name. It makes it feel like “smiling” is liable for an article.

Now, it might be similar to “Fingerstaches” in the sense that they are both participatory picture memes but I can’t find any sound evidence that states that people made their own derivatives of this meme intentionally. Usually, the pictures are of political people or celebrities doing their own thing and just frowning away. That’s just coincidence, not imitation. Though, I must admit that there are pictures of people doing it on purpose as well.

Well, what do you think people? I know that Griff wants me to make an article for it but I just don’t know. I need your opinions.

Jan 07, 2010 at 12:36AM EST

Well, it not an occurring joke. Its just an exaggerated frown. For instance, did you have to know about Sturgeon Face to make it? No, not a meme.

Jan 07, 2010 at 12:57AM EST

Do you have to know about FAIL to fail?
Do you have to know abut Rick Astley to be RickRolled?
Do you have to know about trolling to be trolled?

Willing participation isn’t everything.

Jan 07, 2010 at 09:19AM EST

Haha intersting. Great Teacher Onizuka makes this face all the time. and so do mobsters portrayed in pop culture. hell, i make this face all the time.

i am pretty sure this facial expression existed pre-internet, but my qustion is how did it evolve into being called “sturgeon face”? i’m less curious about “why” (it makes sense) but origins & backstory, you know the deal. :D

i’d say go for an entry, could become an interesting piece of IRL slang-ology.

Jan 07, 2010 at 03:29PM EST

Anyone else going to agree/disagree? Preferably, I’d like to hear the thoughts of another admin (no offense Brad, I just want to hear the full debate).

The first few people that posted on this thread seem to disagree that it’s a meme and that’s what I originally thought after thinking about it for a while. Now, I’m fence-sitting and utterly confused.

Please help me. Thank you.

Jan 08, 2010 at 02:23PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!