Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

"Jet Fuel Doesn't Melt Steel"

Last posted Feb 04, 2015 at 05:17AM EST. Added Feb 03, 2015 at 08:42AM EST
12 posts from 10 users

Tomberry wrote:

This?

Is this a 9/11 conspiracy argument meme or something?

I've seen versions that are a 9/11/illuminati meme as well as others go completely out of context.

"Jet fuel doesn't melt steel". Well actually, that is not far from the truth. A typical jet engine's exhaust will produce well over 1000 Degrees centigrade, so directing it at some steel can in fact melt it. That is why on aircraft carriers they have concrete launch pads when taking off.

Seen it around a lot lately. Seems to be more in parody of 9/11 conspiracy theorists than actually serious, but it's definitely a thing.

I thought that I had more examples lying around (one going "when did this (pic of jet fuel barrels) become hotter than this? (pic of steel beams)" comes to mind) but apparently I didnt save them.

DCS WORLD wrote:

"Jet fuel doesn't melt steel". Well actually, that is not far from the truth. A typical jet engine's exhaust will produce well over 1000 Degrees centigrade, so directing it at some steel can in fact melt it. That is why on aircraft carriers they have concrete launch pads when taking off.

Of course KYM's resident planeguy would be in this thread.

Anyway, this is usually used to mock truthers. I'd say it's widespread enough by this point.

DCS WORLD wrote:

This.

Also, when performing controlled demolitions, the dynamite is placed at the bottom of the building, not the top. And people forget that the towers were filled with air.

But yeah, "Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams" has become a meme at this point.

Twilitlord said:

Seems to be more in parody of 9/11 conspiracy theorists than actually serious…

It's actually one of the more common claims Truthers make. Right up there with Silverstein's "pull it" comment.

You want parody, you should see the no planes theory--that it wasn't planes (since they're far too flimsy to destroy a MURICAN built skyscraper) but in fact missiles either using holograms to look like planes or the government digitally altered every single video and picture (in real time for the live feeds) to replace the missiles with planes.

My sides triggered a petroldollar war via false flag when I first heard about it.

xTSGx wrote:

Twilitlord said:

Seems to be more in parody of 9/11 conspiracy theorists than actually serious…

It's actually one of the more common claims Truthers make. Right up there with Silverstein's "pull it" comment.

You want parody, you should see the no planes theory--that it wasn't planes (since they're far too flimsy to destroy a MURICAN built skyscraper) but in fact missiles either using holograms to look like planes or the government digitally altered every single video and picture (in real time for the live feeds) to replace the missiles with planes.

My sides triggered a petroldollar war via false flag when I first heard about it.

I know it's a popular claim. I'm saying that the images and posts are often riffing on popular memetic formulas and templates ("who would win in a fight" is an up and coming 4chan meme in itself which pits two parties against each other, often with one laughably outmatching the other, then coming up with a ridiculous explanation for why the weaker side would win, When did this become hotter than this has been around for awhile) but largely using the "jet fuel can't melt steel beams" statement in place of a laughable, similar statement (Tomberry's example is an edit of a somewhat frequently edited comic where the girl wishes to a fairy to be able to talk to ponies; that's the last panel, where the horse goes "all I'm saying is Hitler has some pretty good ideas" or some variation thereof).

What's at issue here is not whether it's an actually popular claim or even whether it's true or not. The issue we have is whether it's memetic as a parody. I'd say it has a fighting chance.

Last edited Feb 04, 2015 at 03:57PM EST

This is Meme Research people, if you actually want to discuss Jet Fuel make a seperate thread.

@Twilit

For this meme you have to look for the phrase "Jet Fuel Doesn't/Can't Melt Steel". Which is a parody/edit is something that has shown spread. "Who would win?" lies seperate from it.

Last edited Feb 04, 2015 at 05:17AM EST

RandomMan wrote:

This is Meme Research people, if you actually want to discuss Jet Fuel make a seperate thread.

@Twilit

For this meme you have to look for the phrase "Jet Fuel Doesn't/Can't Melt Steel". Which is a parody/edit is something that has shown spread. "Who would win?" lies seperate from it.

yeah, you'll see i just made a thread about it. It was more to explain why it was relevant and the format.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!