Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

EDIT: Square One: Societal Memes (formerly "Pretending you're infected")

Last posted Jan 14, 2010 at 10:40PM EST. Added Jan 13, 2010 at 06:48PM EST
58 posts from 12 users

after many years deprograming my self from what I later found were called memes, it was not my imagination they existed (just did not know their name) I find when interacting in social situations, that I have to check out what the local meme is. Then have to pretend I`m infected. I no longer have the luxury of instinctivly fitting in. As Plato said "better to be an unhappy Socrates than a happy pig" Any one out there bothered to think outside the boundries ? or is it just a "game meme"? for all? Thoughts anyone?
Ste Howse

pretty simple when relating to meme infected people, ie god meme it helps if U pretend that U believe in the same shit as them. It gets a strain after a while. In the old days they just burnt U at the stake! Or dont U get the whole point of memes rather than just as a joke ?

I vey much "get" what a MEME is.A meme (pronounced /ˈmiːm/, rhyming with "cream"[1]) is a postulated unit of cultural ideas, symbols or practices, which can be transmitted from one mind to another through speech, gestures, rituals or other imitable phenomena. (The etymology of the term relates to the Greek word μιμητισμός (pronounced /mɪmetɪsmos/) for "something imitated".)[2] Supporters of the concept regard memes as cultural analogues to genes, in that they self-replicate and respond to selective pressures.[3]
The British scientist Richard Dawkins introduced the word "meme" in The Selfish Gene (1976) as a basis for discussion of evolutionary principles in explaining the spread of ideas and cultural phenomena. Examples of memes given in the book included melodies, catch-phrases, beliefs (notably religious beliefs), clothing fashion, and the technology of building arches.[4]
Meme-theorists[which?] contend that memes evolve by natural selection (in a manner analogous to that of biological evolution) through the processes of variation, mutation, competition, and inheritance influencing an individual entity's reproductive success.[citation needed] Memes spread through the behaviors that they generate in their hosts. Memes that propagate less prolifically may become extinct, while others may survive, spread, and (for better or for worse) mutate. Theorists point out that memes which replicate the most effectively spread best, and some memes may replicate effectively even when they prove detrimental to the welfare of their hosts.[5]
A field of study called memetics[6] arose in the 1990s to explore the concepts and transmission of memes in terms of an evolutionary model. Criticism from a variety of fronts has challenged the notion that scholarship can examine memes empirically. Some commentators question the idea that one can meaningfully categorize culture in terms of discrete units.

I`m sorry but have better things do do in the middle of the night, I`d be interested in sensible communication. But pissing up the wall competions with a possible johnny no friend is not my idea of useful time. If you have MEME problems of your own, it`s not my problem. If you can act like a grown up (theres a meme for you) OK. but childish internet waffle is not my cup of tea SORRY

Is this what U do in the middle of the night when theres no one to play with ? One can only hope there are more interesting people on this site and that most others are not in a teenage time warp. Playing such games just shows how certain MEMES overtake people, there again maybe I`m wrong and its a full moon

Wat.

Steve, I don't think you ACTUALLY get what a meme is. Maaaaaaaybe this isn't the site you're looking for, because it looks like you're referring to memes as phycological disorders, or therories.

P.S It's 8:00 over here, so it's not night.

Last edited Jan 13, 2010 at 09:01PM EST

Everyone:

Ste is talking about all memes in general, not Internet Memes like we normally discuss here. He doesn't seem to know much about the cultures of the same sites that we come from. Basically, we're all hosts to memes whether we like it or not, memes do not exist for the sake of being either beneficial or destructive. Memes exist purely for the sake of replicating.

Ste seems to be talking about larger cultural memes instilled through beliefs and institutions. We normally discuss specific internet trends around viral videos, image macros, madlib-style jokes, mashups, and other things spawned generally by really prolific meme-spawning hubs like 4chan, SomethingAwful, YTMND, and other sites that inherited a lot of their own in-jokes and other cultural elements from earlier sites.

The frame of reference for most meme discussions held in these forums are usually surrounding viral culture. That's where this miscommunication is coming from.

It's Menning. :c And yes, we seriously discuss memes here (just internet memes). There are IRL memes everywhere, but Internet memes are more underground, which I guess, are much more selective.

OK thanks I`m more into cultural and social Memes as relate to society as a whole over the past 40,000 or so years. Finding sites or people who understand that can be difficult due to them being controlled by aforesaid Memes. Still There is no point giving up on any possible site, as there may be people like myself "trolling" if thats the word looking for some illumination on the subject. Sorry if I upset the natives ! it was totally unintentional. I`m just surfing for knowledge and it`s all relevant and valid. What`s true today in the light of tommorows information may well turn out to be un-true tommorow. Sounds trite but true ,dont let those memes pull you down. Ste

This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

Mind you the pink unicorn on this website proves that "Not all have lost track" of what the word MEME means. Just because a group of you decide "custard" means "rivets" does not mean your debasement of the english language is real. You have just invented a small make-believe world where a the word Meme means what ever you want it to mean. Objectivity goes out the window. You can add words like viral and internet, but this reality is purely subjective not objective. You run the risk of not being people who discuss memes but merely extensions of a meme. Lost in a private world, safe in the arms of the safe, comfortable meme world you have created. The word Meme has a meaning, thats the function of language. So I leave you in your fantasy world, soft and comfortable where the only people that will talk with you are the ones that agree with the fantasy. Those that disagree forever barred due to the fact that they dont share the relevant MEME.

Steve. I don't clearly understand how a meme can "control" us.
Even if they mainly exist for the sake of being replicated, as Chris stated it well, and that when we participate in a meme, we are, in the end, only a simple "tool" who help it spread, there's no "control" in a way that we never do it without a purpose, generally amusement.

Last edited Jan 13, 2010 at 10:48PM EST

I'm sorry, Steve, but you sound like a dramatic Jehovah's witness when it comes to memes. As Tomberry says, we help them spread for lulz. We are not "overpowered" by them and you make it sound like we worship memes like a God or something. Are you studying? Or merely debating.

Last edited Jan 13, 2010 at 11:02PM EST

Yup.

So I leave you in your fantasy world, soft and comfortable where the only people that will talk with you are the ones that agree with the fantasy. Those that disagree forever barred due to the fact that they dont share the relevant MEME.

Typical troll dramu.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!