Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,809 total conversations in 4,530 threads

+ New Thread

MEMES u missed?

Last posted Jan 21, 2010 at 08:37PM EST. Added Jan 18, 2010 at 02:31PM EST
12 posts from 3 users

Horse Head Mask and Animutations? I'm working on both articles.

I've been trying to figure out the official name of the Horse Head Mask character but I just can't seem to find it. It's a popular Nico Nico Douga character meme I've been researching for a while on-and-off between articles.

As for Animutations, I haven't started research on it yet but I will get to it soon. This is a definite meme started by web celeb Neil Cicierega (also famous for Potter Puppet Pals and Ultimate Showdown). It began with Hyakugojyuuichi.

HorseMan IS EVERY WHERE. that is an obvious theme in the vicious516 videos, I've seen it elswhere too even on this site, hold on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTIPgq8xrvk&feature=player_embedded this was under soaring dance
and also wikikipedia has an article on animutation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animutation
this definatly needs to be reasearched, but I think I could do research on either pretty quickely

Last edited Mar 15, 2010 at 02:33PM EDT

@Jack

The "Horse Man" (as you say) is a widely-known internet character (especially in Japanese culture). Though, I'm pretty sure "Horse Man" wouldn't suffice (too ambiguous?) for a name. I've been trying to figure out a proper name for this character to better research him for about a month now and I'm stumped. "Why a horse head?" is a question I've been asking myself for a while now.

BONUS: Kaito puts on a horse mask in this video beyond his will. Do you think it has any relevance to the meme?

As for "Animutations", the Wiki article is where I first heard of this meme. Though, if Stan Vanderbeek's weird animations are the founding blocks of Animutations as we know them today, that could be worth looking into a bit more. I haven't begun researching it yet so you're free to make the article if you want to.

As for article-creating, making them "pretty quickly" is not the best approach. It's best to have all your cards on the table before playing them. Un-metaphorically, that means that it's best to find all the solid, proven facts about the meme that you possibly can before creating the article. An incomplete article doesn't really help get it confirmed quickly (which is what everyone wants, amirite?).

Got it, the "pretty quickely" thing was that I was pointing out that I knew where to find the information. But I really value anyone's imput.
About "Horseman" that's the only thing I've seen him called, maybe Minus the space?
and also would Rojhelio studio Videos count as a meme in itself? because the whole series appears to be one drawn-out pun.

"Horseman" is still an ambiguous search term because that's what you call a man who rides horses in general. "Horse Mask Man"/"Horse Head Man"/"Anything Similar" would be more appropriate search terms to use when looking for info on this meme. I don't really know though, I'll look into researching this more after midterms are over.

As for Rojhelio's videos, if these videos were only made by one man/group, then it is no meme. A series is not a meme neither. In order to call these videos/series a meme, there has to be some third-party participator who create parodies/special remixes of the videos. So, I say nay. These videos aren't memes.

I understand what a meme is : a repeating inside joke all over the internet or even one major site. It's just that every single one of their vieos has 500K or over views, they also have a film festival. as for a name For "horseMan" how about horse mask, or horse mask man. but you can still measure a google search by how much it has risen relative to the meme's popularity (see Invisible X article) and also I think I know where Horseman may have come from snel hest; look at the picture, kind of looks like a horseMAN doesn't it?

Having high view counts is not enough. A high number of remixes/parodies would make the Rojhelio videos memetic. Having a Festival of its own is amazing, true, but even that doesn't make it a meme.

Also, I'm already aware of the Snel Hest similarity. Though, I doubt that that is the origin of this meme. Anyways, I'll look more into this and Animutations the week after next week when I'm not doing anything major.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!