Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

24,401 total conversations in 3,329 threads

+ New Thread

The future of memes...

Last posted Oct 28, 2009 at 04:02PM EDT. Added Aug 21, 2009 at 09:02PM EDT
12 posts from 7 users

So I’ve been wondering what meme’s will be like in the next decade. Will they be more popular, will they fizzle out in existance? What are your thoughts? Hmm?

Aug 21, 2009 at 09:02PM EDT

I see some of them fizzling out already. You just don’t see I Kiss You mentioned much more.

Aug 21, 2009 at 09:21PM EDT

There will always be memes, but specific memes come and go.

Aug 21, 2009 at 10:28PM EDT

Memes may go down eventually, unforrtunately. Holding onto certain classic memes such AYBABTU will keep it going, though.

Aug 22, 2009 at 01:51AM EDT

Memes are all around you, and they’re not going away. I think they’ll probably start to become less easily recgonized.

Like this:

Aug 22, 2009 at 10:37AM EDT

Awesome video, dude, but is it a meme? I’ve never heard of this before. Where are the remixes?

Aug 23, 2009 at 05:25PM EDT

Nope. “This is My Milwaukee” is not a meme. I was just saying that niche communities like those who were in on the short-lived “This is My Milwaukee” Alternate Reality Game dug so hard into figuring out what was a clue and what wasn’t, that certain elements of the video became somewhat memetic amongst the players.

So I just figured that as time goes, interests become more diverse, and ever-smaller communities will begin creating more mutations of their own in-jokes. I don’t think memes are going anywhere. In fact, I’d say they’ll start popping up from the least expected places.

Aug 23, 2009 at 06:00PM EDT

In the video, there are numerous appearances of a fennel bulb, and at one point during the video, it is eluded to as a “family tree.” Coloring-book style drawings of the Fennel bulb show up in the video as well.

On the unfiction forums, people decided to start coloring their own Family Trees.
http://forums.unfiction.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27278

Now, I wouldn’t call this a meme yet because of its small scale, but had it happened in a larger community, it almost certainly would have become a meme eventually.

Aug 23, 2009 at 06:05PM EDT

A gene is still a gene, even if it exists only in a single (extended) family. I think the same should apply to memes. The question is rather how common or popular it is.

Nice video btw!

Aug 23, 2009 at 08:18PM EDT

fun fact: the video was shot in New York. Not Milwaukee.

Aug 23, 2009 at 08:29PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!