Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

24,407 total conversations in 3,331 threads

+ New Thread

What is your own preference on memes?

Last posted Feb 18, 2010 at 12:06PM EST. Added Feb 07, 2010 at 08:14PM EST
12 posts from 11 users

I was going through the confirmed & submitted entries today.

I immediately had FULL skepticism on particular entries, but instead of ranting I thought you guys would give me your explanation on what a meme truly is.

At least, in your own words.

I don’t want the derivative vice-versa because I’ll easily contradict your statement with the particular iconic figure memes such as Epic Fail Guy or Spongemonkeys.

If you will provide a valiant contradiction yourself, I might just take your word for it.

Feb 07, 2010 at 08:14PM EST

It haz 2 be funni

Feb 07, 2010 at 08:20PM EST

They must bring lulz, and completely baffling those not fimiliar with the internetz doesn’t hurt either…

Feb 07, 2010 at 08:53PM EST

I think a meme should be clever and witty. And especially funny.

And I agree with thevinnler, they should confuse mortals.

Feb 08, 2010 at 02:26PM EST

It can’t be very well known to the general public, or at least not too known.

Feb 08, 2010 at 05:16PM EST

Here are my two cents of what makes an internet meme:

I believe that an internet meme has to be a fad that became popular from obscurity, popular enough to stick around for a while before its inevitable death in the soon to come future. It doesn’t necessarily have to bring the lulz but it should be liked by a certain large audience well enough so that it may prosper (i.e. YTMND communities, YTP communities, 4chan, etc.). Along its spread on the internet, it should garner derivatives that individual people or groups of people thought of making only because it seemed like a good idea at the time. Anything other than that mindset would make it a forced meme. It doesn’t matter though if the OP created it to be a meme or not. It has to appeal to a wide audience for it to be a meme, not just his/her circle of friends. If it does, it become a forced meme, but that is still a meme in my eyes.

So, yeah. To me, that’s what makes an internet meme.

Feb 08, 2010 at 10:18PM EST

Would’nt that suck if they made a show about monitoring 4chan…

Feb 12, 2010 at 08:46AM EST

Internet Meme: (In-Tur-Net MeEM) Noun:

1) Any phenomenon posted on the internet that becomes well-known and widespread, often resulting in derivatives and user-made content, esp. concerning the unique cultures cultivated on the boards of SomethingAwful or 4chan. (see, Pedobear, EFG)

2) Any phenomenon on the internet that becomes the subject of intense online discussion and/or subject of internet inside jokes. (see, Chocolate Rain, David After Dentist)

3) Any phenomenon that, while often untouched by mainstream media sourses, is widely understood online and revered online, though it comes from an obscure sourse. (see, Mega Milk, Yotsuba Koiwai)

Feb 12, 2010 at 01:59PM EST

Meh, anything could be a meme by my standards, it does not really have to be well known, since that would be lame, all memes would be unoriginal.

Feb 12, 2010 at 06:11PM EST

I’m tired of everything thats on youtube being a meme. like jumpstyle, why is that a meme? just because theres a shit ton of videos of kids doing it shouldnt make it a meme. If it’s something audio/visual, theres a representation of it on youtube.

By this logic, video game reviews, backyard wrestling montages, and rap music videos are memes too.

Which reminds me, WHY IS SOULJA BOY STILL A CONFIRMED ENTRY?

Mostly this is me being jaded but there’s some logic there too.
---------------------------------------

Basically everything above posters said like lulz, spread, and derivatives make it for me. But another major thing to me is a reliance on internet word of mouth. Otherwise it is just a pop culture fad.

Feb 18, 2010 at 11:29AM EST
I’m tired of everything thats on youtube being a meme. like jumpstyle, why is that a meme? just because theres a shit ton of videos of kids doing it shouldnt make it a meme. If it’s something audio/visual, theres a representation of it on youtube.

By this logic, video game reviews, backyard wrestling montages, and rap music videos are memes too.

Which reminds me, WHY IS SOULJA BOY STILL A CONFIRMED ENTRY?

Because it’s not the musical genre that is the meme, it’s the dance.
Soulja boys made a video that they featured on Youtube and it was THEN that others made videos of the dance on their own.
That’s the same thing for Jumpstyle. Nothing less, nothing more.
A Dance that got popular not because of TV, not because of IRL word-to-mouth, but because of an Online video ? Yeah, that’s an internet meme.
That’s why video game reviews, backyard wrestling montages and rap music videos can’t be related to it.
because each of these latters have a IRL background that didn’t spread because of Internet.
- Video games reviews were already made on TV, on video games channels in the early 2000.
- Backyard wrestling was popularised as a “sport” by wrestling fans oustide of Internet. But here, there is maybe something to dig on.
- Rap music videos existed nearly since the creation of rap music, so no internet involved.

Last edited Feb 18, 2010 at 12:07PM EST
Feb 18, 2010 at 12:06PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!