Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

24,390 total conversations in 3,327 threads

+ New Thread


Featured Featured
Japanese memes

Last posted Jul 24, 2014 at 07:51PM EDT. Added Feb 25, 2010 at 10:59AM EST
1082 posts from 64 users

@mona

I see, I think get it now. Thanks for your input. I assume there would’ve been other remixes fads that are utilizing other Vocaloid tracks while I was search the videos, and it would be difficult to sort through them all. But I don’t think that’s stopping gi97ol, judging by his post.

Last edited Nov 01, 2012 at 09:07PM EDT
Nov 01, 2012 at 09:07PM EDT
Quote

@Vanmanner
It’s my pleasure:)

Actually, “Two-Faced Lovers” and The “Disappearance of Hatsune Miku” are utilized in MAD videos as much as popular other musical resources which already have its entry in KYM. So, sooner or later, somebody will submit the entry, I guess.

But, what makes me sad is that people like this usually try measuring the popularity of something big online phenomena like Vocaloid by volume of their favorite genre only, despite they can’t recognize the whole of its universe. They are the people who cannot see the wood for the trees…

Last edited Nov 02, 2012 at 02:05PM EDT
Nov 02, 2012 at 01:59PM EDT
Quote

@mona

Can I say that I’ve seen MAD and YTPMV remixes utilizing the Beatmania track SigSig that dates back 1 to 2 years before the Emotion YTP fad took off, like the example shown below. I’ve read before in this thread that you guys weren’t going to be writing entries relating to Beatmania, but I just thought it’ll would be worth mentioning.

Also, I saw that you were posting in the Zelda Responses To thread when it was up a few months ago. I’ve been waiting for someone to make the entry, but nothing came out of it. You wouldn’t mind if I were to make it?

Nov 04, 2012 at 01:23AM EDT
Quote

@VanManner

Oops, I overlooked the song on NND.

NND – Search results for sigsig

Indeed, sigsig has relationships not only to YTP fad but also to some dirty MAD video remix fads (Airmoto and a Midsummer night’s lewd dream). It may deserve to be documented as an appendix to those relating entries.

As to BEMANI entries, I’m planning to finish the parent entry in this month, and put it to the table for confirmation because BEMANI will become its 15th anniversary on December 10th of this year.

Unfortunately, now that entry is perfectly white. I have to build that from scratch…

> Zelda Responses To

No problem!

As I wrote on that thread, all I know is a fill-in-blank style illustration fad on pixiv. And I was a bit doubtful whether this fad itself on the Japanese web had enough volume and impact to be submitted to KYM.

Nov 04, 2012 at 09:02AM EST
Quote

I submitted an entry about SigSig with valuable information but not much, because I’m lazy today.

Hope you like it, how it is now. Sure there will be changes and more added in the entry. I’m going to search for some videos.

Last edited Nov 09, 2012 at 10:11AM EST
Nov 09, 2012 at 10:11AM EST
Quote

I guess it’s too late to suggest to change to the focus Emotion YTP entry to SigSig remixes as a whole, so we wouldn’t waste time making an entry. Well at least we got it, now we got to move the Emotion fad as a sub entry for SigSig.

Moving on, I’ve been seeing an image of small white cat laying on a bed quite sometime while on 4chan. It even inspired its own banner on the site.

So I started searching for the image, and I managed to find some examples of the image being exploited and others I saved on my computer. Does anybody got any info on this?

http://blog-imgs-44.fc2.com/y/a/s/yasulog116/201204242125149f9.jpg
http://static.stickam.jp/media/image/converted/player/1000/0005/2552/180763175.jpg
http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/futaba2chan/imgs/a/1/a19f5ab9.jpg
http://bbs46.meiwasuisan.com/bbs/bicycle/img/12912009060176.jpg

Nov 10, 2012 at 08:27PM EST
Quote

@gi97ol

OK. I will review and tweak it later.

@VanManner

The white cat in that image is called Futeneko (Japanese: ふて猫), which name is a compound word of Futene (sulk in bed) and Neko (Cat).

Its origin is uncertain. But it seems it had already existed in Futaba channel (2chan) in early 2008 because we can find a derivative of this cat in an archived thread in Futaba’s Nijiura board in March of that year.

Nico Nico Seiga, an illustrator’s community service in nico nico, has listed derivatives of Futeneko since 2009.

Though I don’t know about its spreading on 4chan, I guess it will be OK for us to have an entry for this white cat because memes relating to cats are always favored in any region.

Nov 11, 2012 at 07:36AM EST
Quote

Well, I managed to find what looks like an ASCII-art image, along with two toy versions of the image on Shipara Goods, but I don’t know if they’re related. What do you think?

http://www.geocities.jp/shipara_goods/syobon_cale.html
http://www.geocities.co.jp/Milano/9506/syobon_house.html

Nov 12, 2012 at 04:41AM EST
Quote

@VanManner

Yeah, these Shift JIS arts are the archetype of Futeneko called Syobon (ショボーン). Its name comes from “Syonbori”, a Japanese onomatopoeia for crestfallen face expression.

Though the Shift-JIS art had been already used in 1999 when 2channel wasn’t launched yet, its name and most of variations were created in 2channel in early 2000s. So, it was well-known as one of the 2channel Shift-JIS arts.

Last edited Nov 12, 2012 at 09:42AM EST
Nov 12, 2012 at 09:42AM EST
Quote

What do you think about this fad?

  • Nico Nico Douga –

There are 404 videos right now and the first video was uploaded on March 22, 2010 featuring the commercial and a Legend Of Zelda Theme.

Nov 12, 2012 at 05:37PM EST
Quote

@gi97ol
I don’t deny making entries for every single MAD fads because we’ve already give it to even quite small and trivial ones. Of course, that quite small and few creator’s inside fad, Zen, is no exception.

Yeah, that’s trivial, very very trivial topic.

Nov 13, 2012 at 02:50PM EST
Quote

I have a question:

It seems, that I can’t really understand, why NND users began to make MADs out of “Hissu Amoto San”.
Is it because of the first Gourmet Race MAD or because of religion reasons?
I want to know. Thank you!

Nov 14, 2012 at 04:27PM EST
Quote

Thank you for waiting. I’ve finished rewriting Shuzo Matsuoka.

@gi97ol

Religious(?) reason. that’s all. Many of Japanese people have hatred toward Soka Gakkai members because they have been suffered their extremely annoying religious invitations and election activities by SGI members which overtly ignore the separation of religion and politics. Most of Japanese consider SGI as not a religion, but a sect.

This is the reason why Hissu Amoto San, the human billboard of that sect, has been mocked on the web.

Last edited Nov 14, 2012 at 06:07PM EST
Nov 14, 2012 at 06:04PM EST
Quote

Question. What are those bottom red comments that appear on videos that include Inmu?

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:40AM EST
Quote

What does 死ぬしかないじゃない mean?
It’s from the 10th episode of Puella Magi Madoka Magica.
And is this MAD series under the tag 死ぬしかないじゃないシリーズ worthy for making an entry for it?

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:57AM EST
Quote

Brian Gimao wrote:

Question. What are those bottom red comments that appear on videos that include Inmu?

Those are inside jokes among Inmufags, which are basically meaningless and have many variations. So I can’t guess what red comments on bottom are.

Would you give me video links or screenshots of which you found?

Nov 17, 2012 at 02:53PM EST
Quote

gi97ol wrote:

What does 死ぬしかないじゃない mean?
It’s from the 10th episode of Puella Magi Madoka Magica.
And is this MAD series under the tag 死ぬしかないじゃないシリーズ worthy for making an entry for it?

This phrase comes from Mami Tomoe’s remark in the 10th episode of Madoka Magica.
I checked one of the subbed versions on the web and it translated this phrase as “(Our) Only Choice Is To Die!”

In addition to this, there is an illustration meme derived from Mami’s facial expression in this scene on pixiv.

pixiv – Search results for まさにマミさん

So we may be able to make an entry for Mami in the 10th episode.

OK, I’ll write a draft for it within a few days. Please wait for a while with preparing videos that you want to add to the gallery.

Nov 17, 2012 at 03:15PM EST
Quote

Aah, does anyone know where is the official English dubbed version for Puella Magi Madoka Magica?

I find this video, but it’s a fundub and I don’t know if its transcripts are the same to the official version.

Nov 17, 2012 at 06:14PM EST
Quote

mona_jpn wrote:

Aah, does anyone know where is the official English dubbed version for Puella Magi Madoka Magica?

I find this video, but it’s a fundub and I don’t know if its transcripts are the same to the official version.

It’s the same as the fandub!

Link: http://www.watchcartoononline.com/puella-magi-madoka-magica-episode-10-english-dubbed

You’re welcome

Last edited Nov 17, 2012 at 08:59PM EST
Nov 17, 2012 at 08:57PM EST
Quote

gi97ol wrote:

I submitted it The Only Choice Is To Die

OK. I removed you from the editors. we don’t need your further editing. I, of course, ignore series of alphabets you drew as usual.

Thank you for your contribution AS ALWAYS.

Nov 18, 2012 at 04:29AM EST
Quote

Anyway, what in the hell is this kind of fad? http://www.nicovideo.jp/tag/%E5%B0%BB%E3%81%AE%E5%A6%96%E7%B2%BE

Nov 30, 2012 at 09:09AM EST
Quote

Brian Gimao wrote:

Anyway, what in the hell is this kind of fad? http://www.nicovideo.jp/tag/%E5%B0%BB%E3%81%AE%E5%A6%96%E7%B2%BE

- Source
- Wikipedia – Fujiwara

That is called as “A fairy of Hip” (尻の妖精, Shiri no yousei). And its source is “Oshiri Deeehsu!” (I’m Hip!) . It is a sort of gag by a Japanese comedian Takayuki Haranishi, a member of comedy duo FUJIWARA.

It’s nothing more than a silly joke. But sadly, most of MAD editors who have neither humor sense nor creativity, love those kind of cheap n easy lulz.

Nov 30, 2012 at 10:59AM EST
Quote

Entry suggestion:
中二病でもOPパロ is the tag for Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai OP Parody videos on NND. It has currently 216 videos and the video, that let this tag spread is 中二少女まどか☆マギカ with 315.890 views featuring the Anime Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

Sub-Meme:
There’s also a sub-meme stemming from the OP. It is the part, where Rikka Takanashi spins her two index fingers. This part led the spread for re-drawings, for example 吹 っ 切 六 花, and also some parody videos, for example WOOP WOOP on YouTube. The ASCII-art of this little part is (σ回ω・)σ←↖↑↗→↘↓↙←↖↑↗

Shall we?

Last edited Dec 01, 2012 at 05:55AM EST
Dec 01, 2012 at 05:27AM EST
Quote

I think i have found a little Vocaloid fad.. Called: “ゴチャゴチャうるせー!/Gocha Gocha Uruse!”(Stop Nagging Me!). Origin is from Neru(i think)
I have no idea about Japanese memes. Not sure if there is already an entry.. But maybe you should check it out..At least let me know the details.. Seriously i have no idea about Japanese memes!
Also:
Hatsune ver.
Kasane ver.
Defoko ver.
Nakagone ver.
Kikyuune ver.

Last edited Dec 01, 2012 at 08:30PM EST
Dec 01, 2012 at 08:18PM EST
Quote

Alex Mercer wrote:

I think i have found a little Vocaloid fad.. Called: “ゴチャゴチャうるせー!/Gocha Gocha Uruse!”(Stop Nagging Me!). Origin is from Neru(i think)
I have no idea about Japanese memes. Not sure if there is already an entry.. But maybe you should check it out..At least let me know the details.. Seriously i have no idea about Japanese memes!
Also:
Hatsune ver.
Kasane ver.
Defoko ver.
Nakagone ver.
Kikyuune ver.

Yeah, the original video is on NND.

At least, the Japanese web doesn’t have enough videos on niconico to call it as a fad or something.

On the other hand, It seems that YouTube has about 50 videos which are reproducing the original video by user’s hand-drawn animation. But those videos aren’t watched so much.

So, to be honest, I’m not able to feel enough notability from this Vocaloid song…

Dec 02, 2012 at 06:28AM EST
Quote

gi97ol wrote:

Entry suggestion:
中二病でもOPパロ is the tag for Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai OP Parody videos on NND. It has currently 216 videos and the video, that let this tag spread is 中二少女まどか☆マギカ with 315.890 views featuring the Anime Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

Sub-Meme:
There’s also a sub-meme stemming from the OP. It is the part, where Rikka Takanashi spins her two index fingers. This part led the spread for re-drawings, for example 吹 っ 切 六 花, and also some parody videos, for example WOOP WOOP on YouTube. The ASCII-art of this little part is (σ回ω・)σ←↖↑↗→↘↓↙←↖↑↗

Shall we?

No thanks… hahaha I’m joking.

You know, I don’t like those kind of boring fads just mimicking the original lacking in creator’s originality. I don’t want to spend my time for them. However, that parody series already has enough videos compared to other op/ed parody fads which already have their own “undeadpooled” entry on KYM. So, the entry for this OP parody will be also submitted as well as them.

I’ll never stop you creating the entry.

Dec 02, 2012 at 08:01AM EST
Quote

gi97ol wrote:

Mona-sama, I submitted it.
Sparkling Daydream

Not bad work, Mah Boi.

For now, I changed the title in the track of confirmed entries for OP/ED parodies.
I’m going to tweak it later.

Dec 03, 2012 at 04:49AM EST
Quote

Mona_jpnさま, キーボードクラッシャーとMADのためのエディタとして私を追加してください。


Entry Suggestion:

Koichi Toyama’s speech in 2007!

Valuable?

Last edited Dec 06, 2012 at 07:22PM EST
Dec 06, 2012 at 06:47PM EST
Quote

gi97ol wrote:

Mona_jpnさま, キーボードクラッシャーとMADのためのエディタとして私を追加してください。


Entry Suggestion:

Koichi Toyama’s speech in 2007!

Valuable?

At the beginning, please write forum post in English for everyone even if it’s a message for me.

> Editorship requests for Angry German Kid & MADs

I haven’t contributed to both of them. So, please send editorship requests. If you’re a suitable person, other editors will add you to editors.

> Koichi Toyama

There are many Japanese fringe/joke candidates who broke through as online stars like Jimmy McMillan or Basil Marceaux. Koichi Toyama is one of them. Because he incidentally appeared after the video sharing era, you can find a few videos parodying him on YouTube or niconico.

However, as always, You see only a small part of big phenomenon. There are so many things that have to be documented. And compared to it, online parody video is a very trivial episode.

Moreover, none pays attention to the funniness/ridiculousness of non-English speeches on here KYM:(

Dec 07, 2012 at 08:04AM EST
Quote

I’ve seen the band Nona Reeves show up in some Inmu related videos, especially their songs Dynamo Feeling and Enjoyee! Your Lifetime! I’ve also noticed one of the guys in the band looks a lot like Yaju Senpai. Now my question is: Is it actually him or it’s just a very unfortunate coincidence?

Dec 25, 2012 at 10:31AM EST
Quote

nohaynicklibre wrote:

I’ve seen the band Nona Reeves show up in some Inmu related videos, especially their songs Dynamo Feeling and Enjoyee! Your Lifetime! I’ve also noticed one of the guys in the band looks a lot like Yaju Senpai. Now my question is: Is it actually him or it’s just a very unfortunate coincidence?

Latter. He is Gota Nishidera, the leader of Japanese Pop music group Nona Reeves, not a gay porn actor. He is one of the victims in Inmu meme on the Japanese web. As you noticed, he resembles to Yaju Senpai.Just because of this, Inmufags really love him, call him as NSDR in the manner of their naming style and reuse him in MAD videos.

But, there are several additional reasons why that specific live-showcase footage including the phrase “Dynamo Feeling” is frequently reused in MAD videos.

I think it deserves to have an entry in KYM as a sub meme in the Inmu Universe, and actually I’ve been writing a draft little by little.

I’m not sure how long it takes, but I’ll post it someday.

Last edited Dec 25, 2012 at 12:44PM EST
Dec 25, 2012 at 12:43PM EST
Quote

Why does the movie Dragon Ball Z: Broly – The Legendary Super Saiyan ドラゴンボールZ 燃えつきろ!!熱戦・烈戦・超激戦 have such a large still-going fandom?
I’ve seen really really much MAD/Parody videos of this film… why??

Broly’s Pose, Paragus’ laugh, Vegeta’s scream… etc… why??

Here is a tags I’ve found: 伝説の超サムネ

Here is a popular MAD video of the movie:

【ニコニコ動画】ブロリーでおどるポンポコリン

Last edited Dec 26, 2012 at 09:59AM EST
Dec 26, 2012 at 09:56AM EST
Quote

gi97ol wrote:

Why does the movie Dragon Ball Z: Broly – The Legendary Super Saiyan ドラゴンボールZ 燃えつきろ!!熱戦・烈戦・超激戦 have such a large still-going fandom?
I’ve seen really really much MAD/Parody videos of this film… why??

Broly’s Pose, Paragus’ laugh, Vegeta’s scream… etc… why??

Here is a tags I’ve found: 伝説の超サムネ

Here is a popular MAD video of the movie:

【ニコニコ動画】ブロリーでおどるポンポコリン

>Broly (ブロリー)

Since the earliest days of NND, Broly in that movie has been reused not only in your favorite OTO-MAD style videos but also in classical style MAD videos. His popularity on NND is triggered by videos consisting of ridiculous conversations of broly and girls in THE iDOLM@STER. This video series is called “Broly Producer Series” (ブロリープロデューサー). Sadly, it’s completely impossible for non-Japanese speakers to understand its funniness.

Under the influence of this series, Broly, his father Paragus, Vegeta and others shown in that movie became to be used in OTO MAD videos.

As this wiki page says, his notable personality is heavy rise and fall of emotions produced by the voice actor’s too emotional acting. People like to feature this “gap” in Broly MAD videos. Other characters are just a spice even though each of them has a trivial reason why it’s picked by MAD editors.

Dec 26, 2012 at 03:09PM EST
Quote

mona_jpn wrote:

>Broly (ブロリー)

Since the earliest days of NND, Broly in that movie has been reused not only in your favorite OTO-MAD style videos but also in classical style MAD videos. His popularity on NND is triggered by videos consisting of ridiculous conversations of broly and girls in THE iDOLM@STER. This video series is called “Broly Producer Series” (ブロリープロデューサー). Sadly, it’s completely impossible for non-Japanese speakers to understand its funniness.

Under the influence of this series, Broly, his father Paragus, Vegeta and others shown in that movie became to be used in OTO MAD videos.

As this wiki page says, his notable personality is heavy rise and fall of emotions produced by the voice actor’s too emotional acting. People like to feature this “gap” in Broly MAD videos. Other characters are just a spice even though each of them has a trivial reason why it’s picked by MAD editors.

Do you think an entry would be a good idea, because of it’s many subjects and notability?

Dec 26, 2012 at 03:14PM EST
Quote

gi97ol wrote:

Do you think an entry would be a good idea, because of it’s many subjects and notability?

Hmm, I don’t recommend it so much. However many videos are listed on the search results, this is nothing more than an inside fad among some young/silly NND users who can laugh at childish MAD videos. And as we know, this kind of fads in non-English speaking countries is hardly paid an attention on KYM.

If you have time for a contribution to this site, you had better spend it for English fads/memes. I think so.

Dec 26, 2012 at 05:14PM EST
Quote

ζ*’ヮ’)ζ
This is the emoticon referring to the IDOLM@STER character Yayoi Takatsuki.
The emoticon itself has over 6 million search results on Google.

Is it worth to make an entry? What do you think?

Jan 11, 2013 at 04:40PM EST
Quote

gi97ol wrote:

ζ*’ヮ’)ζ
This is the emoticon referring to the IDOLM@STER character Yayoi Takatsuki.
The emoticon itself has over 6 million search results on Google.

Is it worth to make an entry? What do you think?

Digging even two minutes through that tag shows it’s used for everything that’s related to that character. Doesn’t even have to function as an emoticon, it’s just there. If I have to compare it, it’s like how Nuclear Fusion remixes commonly have ☢CAUTION!!☢ in the title.

Google search results isn’t really a strong point either, what doesn’t get millions of search results on Google nowadays? You can’t compare an emoticon that is used in combination with a character to mascots like Mona and Giko. Everything has an emoticon nowadays.

Perhaps I’m unaware of some super unique spread on the eastern web, but a quick search shows it’s nothing unique or outstanding worth of an entry.

Jan 12, 2013 at 02:27PM EST
Quote

RandomMan wrote:

Digging even two minutes through that tag shows it’s used for everything that’s related to that character. Doesn’t even have to function as an emoticon, it’s just there. If I have to compare it, it’s like how Nuclear Fusion remixes commonly have ☢CAUTION!!☢ in the title.

Google search results isn’t really a strong point either, what doesn’t get millions of search results on Google nowadays? You can’t compare an emoticon that is used in combination with a character to mascots like Mona and Giko. Everything has an emoticon nowadays.

Perhaps I’m unaware of some super unique spread on the eastern web, but a quick search shows it’s nothing unique or outstanding worth of an entry.

I never realised that! Thank you, RandomMan!

“Sing it like the G.I. Joe parodies’ Theme”

>>> RANDOMMAAAAAAN <<<

Jan 12, 2013 at 03:32PM EST
Quote

I’ve found another tag (0w0) on NND.
I’m really sorry, because I don’t know much about this “TV series?” or “Movie?”.

Using this source, another popular tag 冷やし○○シリーズ spread. The “Cool Series”.
I think the scene, which a person _orz_’d, is the most known one.

Does anyone know this source?

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:29AM EST
Quote

gi97ol wrote:

I’ve found another tag (0w0) on NND.
I’m really sorry, because I don’t know much about this “TV series?” or “Movie?”.

Using this source, another popular tag 冷やし○○シリーズ spread. The “Cool Series”.
I think the scene, which a person _orz_’d, is the most known one.

Does anyone know this source?

The source scene is taken from Kamen Rider Blade, the fourteenth installment in Kamen Rider series aired in 2004. The tag " (0w0) "is a Shift-JIS art of that Kamen Rider.

This TV series was famous for many misheard phrases coming from young actors poor pronunciations. Those funny phrases caused very big online sensation, and are known as the name “Onduru’s Language” (オンドゥル語). And yes, this was exactly the same case to Vaan’s “Oiyoiyo” in 2005 and Toei Spider Man’s “Spy-Darma!” in 2007.

That scene of a man doing “orz” pose on the snow also contains the well-known misheard phrase. However, non-Japanese speakers including you can’t understand its funniness. And Toei ,copyright holder company of Kamen Rider Series, have strictly taken down parody videos reusing their contents. These are the reasons why I won’t write about this language on here KYM.

> The Cool Series

The tag “Cool X Series” or “Cold X Series” (Japanese: 冷やし○○シリーズ, Hiyashi MaruMaru Series) refers to OTO-MAD style videos made by the music of Hammer and RED ZONE part in “7 colors of Nico Nico Douga”. Its name comes from the trigger video in this OTO-MAD video series “Cool Dogeza”. Dogeza (土下座) means “apologize by getting down on one’s knees”.

- niconico Pedia – 冷やし○○シリーズ
- niconico Video – Search results for 冷やし○○シリーズ

More than 800 videos are tagged under this keyword. It may have the potential to be documented.

Last edited Jan 15, 2013 at 03:15PM EST
Jan 15, 2013 at 03:05PM EST
Quote

Hello good fellows. I need your help.

Now I’m writing an article for WWE CAW parodies that Rin Tezuka previously mentioned in this thread.

It refers to recreate fictional characters or actual celebrities in WWE’s CAW (Create A Wrrestler/Superster) mode and make parody videos utilizing them.

I think there must have been the same momentum on the English-speaking web, and it’s necessary for the article to mention it. But I know only about its development on the Japanese web.

I’ve heard CAWs.ws has been running since 2000 to share parameter settings for creating characters in CAW, and it includes many non-Wrestler persons such as Adolf Hitler or Santa Claus.

Are there any other notable instances for CAW parody in English-speaking web?

Jan 22, 2013 at 05:43PM EST
Quote

@Mona

I am unaware of how big WWE CAW might be on the western web, but I tried. The WWE Website has a “Which Superstar Are You Game” (linked before). Restricting Google search results to 2005 and before also presented me with numerous threads and faqs on gaming websites and review sites about the creator. Many of these are guides on the proportions your character needs to make him look like a specific character, whereas others just aim to make them look like the real deal as on tv.

  • Faqs.Ign
  • Neoseeker Forum
  • Gamefaqs
  • Gamefaqs
    Note: These examples are just examples of spread on the western web, but they are not an important part of the spread critical for documentation. I can probably find more, these are just examples.

If I might suggest something as well, similar to how you explained most switched to MMD after the latest WWE games: Another place these character creations are popular is on the latest Soul Calibur games (IV and V). The character creation feature in that game goes pretty deep, and you can find numerous youtube vids with guides on how to make your character look like someone specific or just people showing off what they created:

It’s of course a different thing than WWE CAW, but can serve as an example on how these character creators are still used in modern games now that WWE isn’t so popular anymore. The Soul Calibur characters are something from the latest years. It was already done in Soul Calibur 3 (2005), but didn’t took off until 2008 in Soul Calibur IV.

Last edited Jan 23, 2013 at 09:34AM EST
Jan 23, 2013 at 09:30AM EST
Quote

@RandomMan
Thank you so much!! I see. Western game players has been sharing character creation data through online forums since early 2000s. And it’s not limited in WWE series. Besides, Soul Caliber series is very popular among Westerners though it’s quite unpopular in its birth place Japan.

On the other hand, it seems that westerners are just sharing data, not interested in making parody movies by recreated characters.

~

My thought became more clear. I noticed these important points in Japanese WWE CAW parody videos.

  • WWE games can create original character’s entrance scene. Parody video creators on NND love to use it. They change its background music to that of original anime/game, and insert fake dialogs that are modified in WWE’s soap opera style by NND’s floating comment feature. Indeed, nowadays video games, such as MMORPGs or Soul Caliber series, have flexible character customise feature. However, I guess the reason why WWE had particularly gained favor with parody creators among them was this entrance scene.
  • It causes surrealistic lulz for Japanese sensibilities to recreate fictional anime/game/manga characters, usually drawn in cute and fancy, by WWE’s too much macho and realistic American wrestler faces & bodies. That’s because we are mongoloid and there are rarely foreigners in our daily life. So, even if there had been Japanese professional wrestling games with the same features, those wouldn’t be used in the same way.

The main theme of the entry will be better to focus to parody videos. And, sharing character creation data in online forums might deserve to be mentioned in origin section because it’s base of parody videos.

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:12PM EST
Quote

Mona wrote:

On the other hand, it seems that westerners are just sharing data, not interested in making parody movies by recreated characters.

That is correct. Most of the sharing is based upon just that, character designs. Remixes and everything are made, but they’re rare. If it’s remixed it’s commonly limited to a shitty bgm, not dialogue and everything.


It causes surrealistic lulz for Japanese sensibilities to recreate fictional anime/game/manga characters, usually drawn in cute and fancy, by WWE’s too much macho and realistic American wrestler faces & bodies.

It might be worth noticing that WWE is a lot about show. As the Wiki Page for Pro Wrestling reads, the sport is a combination of athletics and theatrical performance. Many of the fights are (partly) staged, and purposely feature over the top action for the sake of entertainment. This can explain why the openings in the games are so over the top, they represent what’s going on on tv.

Just watch this video. The moves they perform should result in wounds they are not getting, and they even attack the referee and co. at occasions. If that was an actual sport, attacking the referee would get you banned for live.

Actual Wrestling involves grappling techniques, not chrome tights and 3 bottles of gel. Of course these things have nothing in common with the remix videos, but they explain the overly macho atmosphere the WWE shows us and which can be found back in the games.

Last edited Jan 24, 2013 at 09:27PM EST
Jan 24, 2013 at 09:18PM EST
Quote

NEWSFLASH: NEW SOURCE! http://www.nicovideo.jp/tag/%E2%94%8C(%5Eo%5E)%E2%94%98%E3%83%A2%E3%83%AA!%E2%94%8C(%5Eo%5E)%E2%94%98%E3%83%A2%E3%83%AA!

Jan 29, 2013 at 05:20AM EST
Quote

@RandomMan

Hmm, I do see your point. But, WWE is clearly well-known among English-speaking people. Do we need to explain about WWE itself so much for them on here KYM?

@Brian Gimao
Yeah, “Mori! Mori!” is now showing signs of trending among MAD video editors in NND.

Wait and see how it will turn out, and hope it will not end in a quite short/minor fad among MAD lovers.

Jan 29, 2013 at 05:46PM EST
Quote

mona_jpn wrote:

@RandomMan

Hmm, I do see your point. But, WWE is clearly well-known among English-speaking people. Do we need to explain about WWE itself so much for them on here KYM?

@Brian Gimao
Yeah, “Mori! Mori!” is now showing signs of trending among MAD video editors in NND.

Wait and see how it will turn out, and hope it will not end in a quite short/minor fad among MAD lovers.

There will be no need to explain what WWE is of course, just make a quick mention about it. Just something amongst the lines of “The excessive macho behavior that takes place during the opening scenes of the game, which share many similarities with the theatrical performances by the wrestlers in the WWE, have become a popular target for parody.” Feel free to edit that in any way, I’m just giving an example of how small you can keep the explanation.

Jan 29, 2013 at 07:37PM EST
Quote

Word Up! You must login or signup first!