Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

24,737 total conversations in 3,379 threads

+ New Thread


Featured Featured
Japanese memes

Last posted Sep 26, 2014 at 11:46AM EDT. Added Feb 25, 2010 at 10:59AM EST
1108 posts from 65 users

Mona_jpn, your translation is bit hard to understand. He says that he loves the remixes but at the same time he says “I’ll never forgive people who modify my earnest videos by preference and laugh it out”?

Also, while we are talking about famous people and their remixes on the Japanese web, what about the actor who played Ronald McDonald for the short commercials? I guess they used the same actor for all of them. Did that guy ever say something about it, in a newspaper or any other media?
It’s one of the main infamous Nico Nico Douga memes.

Feb 02, 2011 at 05:38PM EST
Quote

Tomberry wrote:

Mona_jpn, your translation is bit hard to understand. He says that he loves the remixes but at the same time he says “I’ll never forgive people who modify my earnest videos by preference and laugh it out”?

Also, while we are talking about famous people and their remixes on the Japanese web, what about the actor who played Ronald McDonald for the short commercials? I guess they used the same actor for all of them. Did that guy ever say something about it, in a newspaper or any other media?
It’s one of the main infamous Nico Nico Douga memes.

@Tomberry

> Shuzo’s statement
“I’ll never forgive people who modify my earnest videos by preference and laugh it out” is his joke and lip service. it’s not his true thought, as you know :)

> The actor of Ronald in Japan
Yeah. There is no doubt that the actor of Ronald is same on every commercial.
But, different from the U.S, actor’s name is not declared officially or ascertained by others. And there is no announcement by Ronald’s actor in any Japanese media. I think the actor can’t say anything about Donald by contractual restrictions.

Moreover, almost all Japanese companies aren’t friendly about such a style of fads on the internet and always ignore that. So, Shuzo’s statement is a very very rare case.

Last edited Feb 02, 2011 at 06:36PM EST
Feb 02, 2011 at 06:34PM EST
Quote

Right. I didn’t notice the “It’s a joke”.
Great then. I’ve added it to the Shuzo Matsuoka article.

Feb 02, 2011 at 07:30PM EST
Quote

Thanks Tomberry!

And this is Shuzo’s trigger video that 1983parrothead wants. I tried translating all his dialogs.
Dear Japanese meme researchers, If you have the time, please correct it.

0:05 Happy new year, everbody
0:09 My this year’s slogan is “be serious”.
0:13 If you get serious, you can change yourself.
0:16 If you get serious, you can change everything.
0:19 So everyone, get serious and hang in there!!
0:22 Happy new year, everybady. Please treat me this year as well as you did last year.
0:25 My this year’s slogan is doing one thing intently.
0:30 I’m gonna do my best intently. Thanks in advance.
0:34 Be intent!!
0:37 Go for it! Go for it! You can do it! You can do it! You can do it absolutely!! Go for it! you can do more!! You can do it!
0:41 No, it’s idle fear!! Go for it!! Go for it!! That’s it!! That’s it!! Don’t give up! you must go for it agressively and positevely! Go for it! Go for it because…
0:46 Bejing is making the best effort now!!
0:55 You said you would become the No.1…
0:58 like that Mt. Fuji !
1:00 You said you would become the best in Japan.
1:04 Remember old days!!
1:06 From now, You’re…
1:08 Mt. Fuji !!!!
1:25 Don’t pay it any mind. Don’t let it get you down.
1:29 That’s all right. It’s going to be fine.
1:33 Don’t worry, Be Happy!
1:45 Don’t give up…
1:49 You! Don’t give up!!
1:52 Why do you drop by the wayside? Keep trying a little longer !!
1:56 Stop! Stop! Stop! Stop! Stop giving up!
1:59 Think about people around you! Think about people who cheers you up !
2:03 You’re almost finished. Just needing one more effort to finish.
2:05 Even in me, I’m doing my best to take freshwater clams in a lake ten degrees below zero.
2:09 You must keep a trying. You can accomplish the goal invariably. So…
2:14 Never give up!
2:22 World is cold…
2:26 People is unconcerned about your feelings however you make effort.
2:33 You might sometimes think why people doesn’t tune in to your mind.
2:35 Me too!
2:37 If I try expressing my feelings seriously, people claims to me “you’re too passionate!”.
2:42 But, everything is alright. There’ll always be people tuning in to you. So…
2:48 Follow me !!!
3:05 You pass your time in idleness, don’t you. You’re hesitating, aren’t you?
3:10 “I wanna be energetic!” it’s easy.
3:13 Don’t recall the past.
3:15 “Why did I do such a thing?”. The past makes you anger.
3:18 Don’t think about the future too.
3:21 “Am I going to be OK? a ha~” The future makes you afraid.
3:24 So, Be intent! Do one thing intently.
3:29 Yeah! Do live the present moment, everybody.
3:33 It makes you energetic!!
3:44 “what a terrible cold” For you who think so, I tell you how to make you hot immediately.
3:50 That is words. If you say it’s cold, you’ll be cold.
3:55 So, Let’s say it’s hot. what? I’m getting hot.
4:00 My heart and body are getting hot. I’m hot…hot…
4:07 Yes, I’m human Hokkairo(pocket warmer)! My soul and body are hot. I’m OK whatever I do.
4:12 Let’s make the best of it with this heat.
4:18 [what are these hokkairo on your back for ?]
4:27 Get more hot.
4:30 Burning your hot blood.
4:32 When we become hot, we can become real self. so…
4:38 Get more hoooooooooooooooot!
4:45 You feel frustrated, don’t you. I know. There are many things which don’t go the way you want them to.
4:51 Although I come to Ishikawa and find the tasty crabs before my very eyes, I can’t eat them. I must put up with that. it happens sometimes.
4:59 There are realy many things which don’t go the way I want them to.
5:02 But, if you make effort, chance will comes to you most definitely.
5:07 Go for it!
5:12 hu~
5:16 Don’t feel pressed. Don’t feel pressed. Have a break, Have a break.
5:21 hu~
5:27 Go for it! Go for it! You can do it! You can do it! You can do it bsolutely!! Go for it! you can do more!! You can do it!
5:32 No, it’s idle fear!! Go for it!! Go for it!! That’s it!! That’s it!! Don’t give up! you must go for it agressively and positevely! Go for it! Go for it because…
5:37 Bejing is making the best effort now!!
5:47 oh… what a hot day it is. Yeah, i got it.
5:52 you want to cool yourself. Really? OK, I make you cool immediately. Come on…
5:59 Hey, what kind of house your house is? ……
6:02 Hey! Answer the question! yayyayyayyay…
6:06 OK, Be ready for it.
6:09 what is this sea? what is this sea’s name?
6:12 Sea, Sea, Sea. umi umi umi umi…
6:15 What? … I got it. So, Take that!
6:20 MATSUOKA!! Shuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
6:23 Zou!!
6:25 I hope you’re gonna be cool!

Feb 04, 2011 at 01:58PM EST
Quote

Hey, I’m not sure if this has been mentioned before but I have seen something that seems to go by the name “The song that plays as Suneo is bragging to his friends” or something along those lines. (original is called スネ夫が自慢話をするときに流れている曲) Anyone have any background on this? I know it is from Doraemon, but why is it popular and is there any official name for this song?

Feb 12, 2011 at 09:16PM EST
Quote

@Deoxys
Oh! I’m going to write the article about this music fad.

> Official name

Nobody knows its original title. The music has been included in Doraemon’s soundtrack CD for several times. But its title has never been released officially.

> Background

This idyllic and poorly-characterized music usually plays on ordinary and not important scene such as daily conversation. Suneo’s bragging is included in that situation. So actually, the music sometimes plays when he does it. But it isn’t only for him.

All Japanese, it’s not hyperbole, has listened the music so many times in Doraemon’s TV show. But because it’s awfully undramatic melody, it has never stood out in viewer’s memory.

So, we can say about this music : Everybody remembers but nobody recalls .

> Meme’s trigger

The trigger of this meme is not its melody itself but its superb naming sense. By the video and its title, many Japanese were reminded of the music and had an aha moment : “Yeah!! it was actually playing in that situation !!”.

The video was uploaded to YouTube in 2008. But this meme was started from the end of Aug, 2009 when the video was reproduced to Nico Nico Douga (NND) for the first time.

Now there are over 300 remixes/mashups on NND. But, almost all of them were made in the first 2 weeks. This is because this meme was ended by another music meme “Familymart” in less than a week.

Feb 13, 2011 at 11:28AM EST
Quote

Hey, Japanese researchers, who is that guy?

And why does it seem there are many remixes of him?

It seems related to Shuzo Matsuoka. Is this a sub-meme from it?

Wow, I’m stumbling upon more stuff. Is this a MAD of an ad for some sort of bandaid?

That looks hilarious, and there is more of it.

Last edited Feb 14, 2011 at 06:04PM EST
Feb 14, 2011 at 05:43PM EST
Quote

@Tomberry

> the first and second videos

Yes, it might be said that he is a sub-meme of Shuzo Matsuoka.

His name is “Robert”. it’s uncertain what he is. But it’s said that he is a TV crew of Japanese TV show “食いしん坊バンザイ” (lit. Viva big eater) hosted by Shuzo.

The video that Robert appears on is a making video of that program taken at San Fransisco and was posted to Shuzo’s web site. In the video, by Shuzo’s mischief, Robert was suddenly ordered to explain that situation in Japanese with 5 seconds. Naturally, he had no ready answer. So, he was confused and could do nothing but shouting weakly.

The reason why he became a MAD resource is that his all wet, weak shout and facial expression being at a complete loss were really funny and were loved among Shuzo’s fanatics.

The video was posted to Nico Nico Douga on Oct, 2008 and became additional MAD resource of Shuzo’s fad around May, 2009.

On NND, MAD videos related to him are tagged as “ロバートの将来性(Robert no Shouraisei, lit. Robert’s potential)”. Now, there are about 130 videos on NND.

Nico Nico pedia
http://dic.nicovideo.jp/a/%E3%83%AD%E3%83%90%E3%83%BC%E3%83%88%E3%81%AE%E5%B0%86%E6%9D%A5%E6%80%A7
Search result on NND
http://www.nicovideo.jp/tag/%E3%83%AD%E3%83%90%E3%83%BC%E3%83%88%E3%81%AE%E5%B0%86%E6%9D%A5%E6%80%A7

> the third video
This is a CM of a poultice “のびのびサロンシップ (Nobi Nobi Saron Shippu)” and the man is famous Japanese actor Naoto Takenaka.

As you can tell from several MAD videos, his funny face expression and acting are suitable for MAD resource. Because of this, some MAD editors choose this to their MAD resource.

This CM started to be reused in MADs around Feb, 2009. However, the amount of videos of the moment are 66. They are not so many. Moreover, this original CM itself never became popular in Japan. And also, its funniness has never been picked up by any Japanese media.

It always happens that MAD editors choose their MAD resource just because it can be fit for their (poor) way of MADs style. This case is one of them.

Therefore, I think it’s not so notable.

Nico Nico Pedia
http://dic.nicovideo.jp/a/%E3%81%AE%E3%81%B3%E3%81%AE%E3%81%B3%E3%82%B5%E3%83%AD%E3%83%B3%E3%82%B7%E3%83%83%E3%83%97
Search Result on NND
http://www.nicovideo.jp/tag/%E3%81%AE%E3%81%B3%E3%81%AE%E3%81%B3%E3%82%B5%E3%83%AD%E3%83%B3%E3%82%B7%E3%83%83%E3%83%97

Feb 15, 2011 at 09:50AM EST
Quote

ありがとうございます mona_jpn.
I’m rewriting the Shuzo Matsuoka article to include these new elements.

On a side note, I know your opinion on Touhou music material in MADs but, how popular are they actually? I mean, U.N Owen Was her? is pretty well-known, the same way Night of knights is, but I’m now stumbling upon MADs reusing Nuclear Fusion.

I’m beginning to wonder if a whole article about Touhou music in MADs (like the one we have about Renard Queenston’s Youtube Poop fads), or at least a stronger mention of it in the actual Touhou article, could become necessary.

Feb 16, 2011 at 07:23AM EST
Quote

@Tomberry
Je vous en prie.

> Nuclear Fusion

There are so many musics as popular as this song on the web(especially on NND). Unless they have a special episode, background or nationwide/worldwide admiration, they won’t have worth to be described in KYM.

Subterranean Animism, Tohou’s game including this song, was released on Aug, 2008. Soon after that, this song covers, remixes, and MADs started to be posted to NND. related videos at the moment are over 500 on there. But their page views are not so many as for its age. And most of music remixes are not published on the web officially by its creators but are unauthorized uploading from CDs released in Doujin market (eg. Comiket). Moreover, this song has never become the best partner of other huge MAD phenomenon such as U.N Owen was her (Ronald MacDonald), Night of Knights(Enemy Controller, Lucky Star) or Kirby’s Gourmet Race (Hissu Amoto San).

So, I think its popularity on NND is not notable enough to be able to have its own article on KYM.

nico nico pedia
http://dic.nicovideo.jp/a/%E9%9C%8A%E7%9F%A5%E3%81%AE%E5%A4%AA%E9%99%BD%E4%BF%A1%E4%BB%B0
sorted by views
http://www.nicovideo.jp/tag/%E9%9C%8A%E7%9F%A5%E3%81%AE%E5%A4%AA%E9%99%BD%E4%BF%A1%E4%BB%B0?sort=v
sorted by older date
http://www.nicovideo.jp/tag/%E9%9C%8A%E7%9F%A5%E3%81%AE%E5%A4%AA%E9%99%BD%E4%BF%A1%E4%BB%B0?sort=f&order=a

For your information, the trigger that many Touhou musics started to be reused in MADs was “Marisa stole the precious thing”. Marisa has two special episodes.

1. Its official flash animation for promoting IOSYS’ CD released on Comiket got popularity among Japanese internet users in the summer of 2006. In Japan, flash animation was a huge nationwide creative movement around 2002 to 2006. So, flash animations attracted a lot of attention with the help of that phenomenon.

2. MAD phenomenon on NND was started with Marisa’s music and its animation in Mar, 2007. So, Marisa is the first music resource of MADs. In early times, every audio and visual resource was mashed up with Marisa.

So, the reason why other Touhou musics, including “Nuclear Fusion”, started to be reused in MADs is this Marisa’s success.

Feb 18, 2011 at 03:32PM EST
Quote

Coming back again, this time to talk about 2chan/2channel characters.
The following flash animation shows a bit of many memes coming from 2chan and there is one character we may have not focused on before.

We have an entry for Mona, Giko, and Soy Sauce Warrior Kikkoman. Other characters, not as well-known, such as 1-san or Avex, don’t really deserve a mention on KYM, but there is also a strange character with a rooster head. I remember seeing animated gifs of a Japanese superhero with a rooster head.
Who is he and is he well-known on the Japanese web?

On a side note, do any of you guys know when exactly were first released the “Nightmare city Catastrophe” flashs/videos ?

Last edited Feb 20, 2011 at 05:45PM EST
Feb 20, 2011 at 05:28PM EST
Quote

@Tomberry

> a strange character with a rooster head

He is called Kukkuru (クックル). Unaccountably, he has own article on Wikipedia
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%25E3%2582%25AF%25E3%2583%2583%25E3%2582%25AF%25E3%2583%25AB%25E3%2583%2589%25E3%2582%25A5%25E3%2583%2589%25E3%2582%25A5%25E3%2583%2589%25E3%2582%25A5&hl=ja&langpair=auto|en&tbb=1&ie=UTF-8

He is an anthropomorphism of chicken and is characterized as taciturnity, high-handedness and violent. He was born in Dec 19, 2001. So, he is comparatively classic Shift-JIS art character.

> Nightmare city Catastrophe

http://www.geocities.jp/clairvoyance_03/nc_catastrophe.html

“Nightmare city Catastrophe” the sequel of “Nightmare city” was released on “flash bomb’05” the flash animation festival held in Sep 23, 2005 at Tokyo.

P.S.

Flash animations reusing 2channel shift-JIS art characters aren’t so important evidences of each characters’ popularity.

As I wrote, flash animation movement went big phenomenon around 2002-2006 in Japanese internet and its major battlefield was “Flash” board in 2channel. So, most of creators and watchers were both 2channelers and 2channel shift-JIS art characters familiar to both of them were overused in plenty of flash animations.

The reason is clear. 2channel Shift-JIS art characters already had their personalities and features made by many 2channelers. So, it was much easier for creators to reuse 2channel characters and make stories based on their features than to make new original characters and stories. In addition, some of creators didn’t have skill to create their original character and they only depended on 2channel characters.

In actually, many watchers supported 2channel flash animation more than that of original. It was also natural that full original flash animations made by creators famous for their parody animation reusing 2channel Shift-JIS art was not gain much popularity among them.

On the other hand, 2channel-ers are very active (and aggressive) people but their community was very closed in those days. Even though many flash animations were generated on there and many of them were well-made, the influence of its popularity was very limited among them. There are many discourses about 2channel flash animations on Japanese web. But it doesn’t mean that was popular all over Japanese internet because most of them was made by that fanatics.

In other words, 2channel flash animations were made of star system of 2channel Shift-JIS characters and were praised and enjoyed only in where they could be a star.

So, however epic any flash animation was, 2channel flash animation was absolutely regional fad.

Feb 21, 2011 at 10:22AM EST
Quote

Thanks mona_jpn.
Does that mean Kukkuri deserves a mention on KYM or is he too obscure a character?

Feb 21, 2011 at 03:41PM EST
Quote

I don’t think he is notable so much. if you write his article, you’ll have to do other characters as famous as him. the number of them are over 100 :(

Feb 23, 2011 at 06:15PM EST
Quote

Hi again, researchers.
I’ve made an entry for キモーイガールズ, that exploitable phenomenon that I’ve found
It seems to have ties with a MAD phenomenon, targeting again at Touhou:

Is that IOSYS remix strong as a MAD phenomenon on Nico Nico Douga?
Does it need a separate article, other than its mention in キモーイガールズ?

Last edited Feb 27, 2011 at 06:10PM EST
Feb 27, 2011 at 06:09PM EST
Quote

Yes. Actually, this song was overused in the beginning of MAD video phenomenon on NND in around 2007-2008. Rather, it may be no exaggeration to say that MAD video phenomenon on NND was made by the popularity and user-friendliness of Touhou remixes.

I think this song is as important as other IOSYS’s Touhou remixes such as “Marisa stole the precious thing”, “Cirno’s perfect math class” and “Usatei” in MADs phenomenon on NND.

Some of them already have their own articles in KYM. If they are suitable for here, this song would need to have it, too.

Feb 27, 2011 at 09:04PM EST
Quote

Thank you for the translation of Shuzo Matsuoka’s trigger video, mona_jpn, but I have one question:

“Should I reupload the trigger video on YouTube with the translation as annotations?”

By the way, the entries about Mona and GikoNeko are confirmed. I also found this, which might be helpful. What song is that playing when they begin watching one of Shuzo Matsuoka’s videos.

Last edited Mar 09, 2011 at 12:45AM EST
Mar 09, 2011 at 12:42AM EST
Quote

Has anyone else been seeing those Nyanyanyanyanyanyanya videos building steam in the past months?
Originating from here…:
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm11509720

Example spin-off:
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm13409038

etc.

There also seems to be a bit of original content that was made on YouTube, and this too http://dic.nicovideo.jp/a/nyanyanyanyanyanyanya!

What do you guys think of it?

Last edited Mar 15, 2011 at 10:42PM EDT
Mar 15, 2011 at 10:34PM EDT
Quote

Has anyone else been seeing those Nyanyanyanyanyanyanya videos building steam in the past months?

Yes, a friend sent me the myonmyonmyon one a month (maybe two) ago, and then I found some other material.

If we are making an article we should also mention that http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm12478341 is the first 3D (MMD) adaption, and the origin of the dance that is imitated in a considerable amount of other videos.

Also, in the original video’s discription the creator said “It may sound like Miku is not singing, but she is actually singing nya nya from the beginning to the end.”

Mar 16, 2011 at 06:08AM EDT
Quote

1983parrothead wrote:

Thank you for the translation of Shuzo Matsuoka’s trigger video, mona_jpn, but I have one question:

“Should I reupload the trigger video on YouTube with the translation as annotations?”

By the way, the entries about Mona and GikoNeko are confirmed. I also found this, which might be helpful. What song is that playing when they begin watching one of Shuzo Matsuoka’s videos.

If possible.

As you know, Japan is state of emergency now. Though I’m fine, I may not be able to make time for researching in the coming months…

Mar 22, 2011 at 05:17PM EDT
Quote

mona_jpn wrote:

If possible.

As you know, Japan is state of emergency now. Though I’m fine, I may not be able to make time for researching in the coming months…

I understand. There has been a lot of talk about the disaster on many news stations outside of Japan like CNN and BBC. My step-mother, who works at one of the nuclear power plants of Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA), was shocked to see parts of Japan’s nuclear power plant explode.

At this time, many of us would prefer you to worry about not only the current events related to the disasters until it settles, but also your business. Me, my family and friends have been praying not only for Japan, but also New Zealand, Chile, Haiti, and the regions next to them, as well as hoping that Alaska, West Coast of the U.S. or any other region will not have the next earthquake.

Now for my next question:

“What song is that in that video of Shuzo Matsuoka that I showed? I’m pointing at the one right when the show selects one of his videos. It is at 0:52.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivVRvGS8omE#t=0m52s

Mar 23, 2011 at 10:33PM EDT
Quote

Hello people.
So, someone made an entry on My X can’t be this Y based on that famous manga/anime about sister/brother relationships I guess.
Do you guys know if that fanart trend was big in Japan?

Apr 01, 2011 at 08:01AM EDT
Quote

Tomberry wrote:

Hello people.
So, someone made an entry on My X can’t be this Y based on that famous manga/anime about sister/brother relationships I guess.
Do you guys know if that fanart trend was big in Japan?

I took a look at that page, and I’m pretty sure most of those creations where at least made by people that knew their Japanese. Because they all make perfect sense and make perfect references, in Japanese, to the original series they are using characters from. And I find them in Pixiv too. So at least I can tell that it was bigger in Japan than over here.

Besides, 1500 google hits when searching the chain “俺の-がこんなに-わけがない” (with – replacing the symbols they put for the X and Y, and thus all most probably referring to the meme)

Apr 02, 2011 at 04:17AM EDT
Quote

Wait. I took a look at the mai waifu article, but it has no references to the Japanese 俺の嫁 (ore no yome, lit. “my wive”) phenomenon at all? It’s big enough to have its own nico nico pedia entry, pixiv encyclopedia entry and even a wikipedia article. And I’m pretty sure it is related to the mai waifu stuff. You could see it as the Japanese counterpart of the meme because it is used almost the same, and I do not believe I have heard/read mai waifu (マイワイフ) used in Japan.

Summary of the main part of the articles: It is mainly used by males for 2D female characters, but sometimes even female users use the phrase for male characters. The variations 俺の妹 (ore no imouto, my little sister) and 俺の娘 (ore no musume, my daughter) also exist. Because of the popularity of this phrase, married male internet users often use リアル嫁 (riaru yome, real-life wife) when referring to the woman they are actually married to in real-life, to avoid confusion with their 2D wife. You can often find a lot of comments in the format ○○は俺の嫁 (X is my wife) in videos on Nico Nico Douga, as well as バカ俺の嫁だ (she is my wife, idiot).

Last edited Apr 02, 2011 at 05:17AM EDT
Apr 02, 2011 at 05:15AM EDT
Quote

Wow great find!
Well, it has always been assumed that my waifu was the western’s draw on chan based on an Engrish slang from Azumanga Daioh and I don’t think channers were aware of a similar use of that thing in Japan.

So, it needs to be added to the article I think. It looks like two similar occurences of the same meme happening in two different regions of the world without them having ever been in contact with each other, pretty much like Playing dead/Lying Down game came to be.

Last edited Apr 02, 2011 at 10:54AM EDT
Apr 02, 2011 at 10:52AM EDT
Quote

Oh, that makes sense. But if they probably don’t share origins, should it still be fully integrated in the mai waifu article, or only referenced with a link to a new article?

Apr 02, 2011 at 12:02PM EDT
Quote

darn, just a few minutes too late to edit my previous post…

anyhow, google insights also confirms that ore no yome is far more popular than mai waifu, even on worldwide scale. Keep in mind the population of Japan vs. the US (where by far the most waifu searches come from).
[Google Insights]
As you can see there were some 俺の嫁 (my wife) spikes around 2010 unrelated to ○○は俺の嫁 (X is my wife). Those where apparently because of a 2010 videogame by the same name: 俺の嫁 〜あなただけの花嫁〜 (roughly: my wife a bride just for you)

○○ are symbols which don’t count to google, so its graph reflects any searches that include the phrase は俺の嫁 (is my wive)

Last edited Apr 02, 2011 at 12:59PM EDT
Apr 02, 2011 at 12:49PM EDT
Quote

@1983parrothead
> “What song is that in that video of Shuzo Matsuoka that I showed? I’m pointing at the one right when the show selects one of his videos. It is at 0:52.”

This is Miyuki Nakajima’s song ”Between The Sky And You/空と君のあいだに" (English title : Bitter Rain).
Original
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1egtj_pv_music
Cover in English
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_BRpC9v-Jo

This song was title tune of famous drama in 1990’s and draws people who challenge to overcome adversity. So this song is sometimes played as BGM for challengers in TV show. So, this song doesn’t relate to Shuzo directly.

@Tomberry @svdm

> X is my wife

The first appearance of this term as buzz word on Japanese internet (especially in 2channel and Futaba) is “Nagato is my wife.(長門は俺の嫁)”. Of course, Nagato is Yuki Nagato from Haruhi Suzumiya. So, that google insight has the first peak at June, 2006 when Haruhi’s first series was on the air in Japan.

Other peaks are also matched to moe animes/games being on the air at that time.

e.g : June, 2007 – Sep, 2007 = Lucky Star -> Konata is my wife (こなたは俺の嫁)

Since 2007, in Otaku community, the way of calling their favorite girl on anime “my wife” is hackneyed expression.

Apr 03, 2011 at 05:29PM EDT
Quote

Thank you, mona_jpn. I was wondering what song it was, because it sounded good.

Anyway, I found these:

->Reliable source about MIYOCO:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/2006-12-27-loudmusic_x.htm

->A large number of train and monorail MADs per meme. Here is one example:

Before I first saw the train MADs, I learned from JewWario that there are many trains in Japan. Here is a video about his visit in Japan in 2006 (the same year MIYOCO became infamous), as well as a train-simulating video game, “Densha de Go!”

Last edited Apr 10, 2011 at 10:13PM EDT
Apr 10, 2011 at 10:04PM EDT
Quote

@1983parrothead

On NND, these MAD videos are called “the series of heavy stopover”(Japanese : 大変な途中下車シリーズ, Taihen na Tochugesha Sirizu) and they are made by reusing announcements in trains or at stations.

Search result (Over 2700 videos)
http://www.nicovideo.jp/tag/%E5%A4%A7%E5%A4%89%E3%81%AA%E9%80%94%E4%B8%AD%E4%B8%8B%E8%BB%8A%E3%82%B7%E3%83%AA%E3%83%BC%E3%82%BA?sort=v
Nico Nico Pedia
http://dic.nicovideo.jp/a/%E5%A4%A7%E5%A4%89%E3%81%AA%E9%80%94%E4%B8%AD%E4%B8%8B%E8%BB%8A%E3%82%B7%E3%83%AA%E3%83%BC%E3%82%BA
Wikia
http://nicotrain.wiki.fc2.com/

As you know, Japan has complex railway system and so many railway companies on all over the country. So, there are many kinds of announcement in each companies and its train lines.

Railways and trains are one of the major hobbies in Japan and there are many rail fans. This is why a train simulator just driving a train as directed gets popularity. Yeah, its market is huge in Japan.

Therefore, the amount of videos are so many. But none of them has given impact to outside of NND. So, I think this is nothing but a inside fad by some NND users.

Apr 12, 2011 at 07:46PM EDT
Quote

Because you gave me an editorship, I’m trying editing Mayim mayim article. So, I have one question.

we all Japanese have danced Mayim mayim in our school days since 1950s. it is quite natural and is held frequently.

Do other countries have the same situation ?

Apr 20, 2011 at 04:09AM EDT
Quote

mona_jpn wrote:

Because you gave me an editorship, I’m trying editing Mayim mayim article. So, I have one question.

we all Japanese have danced Mayim mayim in our school days since 1950s. it is quite natural and is held frequently.

Do other countries have the same situation ?

Not in school but in church we danced like that. Back in the late 60’s to late 70’s when folk music was very popular in the US. I think a lot of christians in the US would dance like that in church. I remember holding hands in a circle and dancing like that as a child. We would never dance like that in a public school but I went to a private christian school so I did.

Apr 20, 2011 at 04:47AM EDT
Quote

Hello everyone. Big noob here. I have been watching some MAD videos recently and there are 3 fads I would like some information about.

BATTLEDOME

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDh62jokgu4

From what I can gather, it’s a meme about some commercials of products made by Tsukuda Original. But why did they chose this particular company? What’s the backstory in this one?

OMANYTE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQRwmr_UMhQ&NR=1

I’m completely lost at this one.

MAGURO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sub3qzJHgWM

Also, how can you embed in this site?

Last edited Apr 20, 2011 at 02:56PM EDT
Apr 20, 2011 at 02:51PM EDT
Quote

@ daniel vazquez

Thanks. Of course, most of you Americans are christian : )

In Japan, Mayim mayim and other folk dance musics, such as Oklahoma Mixer, Letkajenkka, (and Dschinghis Khan !!) etc, are frequently cited in our pop culture. This is because these dance are introduced in our compulsory education and have been shared as common life experiences by all of us. A MAD fad on Nico Nico Douga and the remix reused in it are also based on this cultural background.

Unless the situation like this is seen in other countries, I think it should be added to the article.

What do you think about it ?

@nohaynicklibre

Basically, all of them is just a small inside fad only in Nico Nico Douga.

> BATTLE DOME

The reason why the commercial is funny for some Japanese is that its style of narration is felt so orotund like American advertising for our their sense.

> MAGURO

The source is an ads of drama of a fisherman trying for huge tuna by himself and was on the air in the end of 2006. Saying only “MAGRO” with a forceful voice and serious face expression is strange for us.

> OMANYTE

People just edits MADs with OMANYTE’s cry. There is no special background in particular.

Apr 20, 2011 at 09:41PM EDT
Quote

Sometimes I see Omanyte with the Xatu-based fad, TWO TWO.

I already asked about Battle Dome. It’s a few pages back in this thread. Sometimes it includes the American commercial and commercials for others like the First Mama toy and the Doraemon Battle Dome.

Apr 21, 2011 at 05:20AM EDT
Quote

As a trial, I changed and cleaned up Mayim Mayim article. If it’s too extreme, please fix it. Of course, it’s very helpful for me to correct my bad grammar : )

BTW, I’ve finished all articles about really memetic topics, not a regional fad among some community, that happened in this year. Unless next big wave of meme comes, I’ll fix the articles about Japanese meme that already exist here. So I’m going to edit Matsuda you idiot for the next time.

@1983parrothead

Do you want to make an article about Battle Dome? If so, I change my plan.

Apr 25, 2011 at 06:37AM EDT
Quote

@mona_jpn

You changed your plan?

OR

You will change your plan?

I’m not sure if now is the time to create the Battle Dome entry, because here are what all you said:

=================

Battle Dome
Toy’s commercial film in early 1990s. Because its visual and narrator’s way of speaking is exaggerated such as American’s extreme advertising, this film is funny and uncool. Therefore, it is loved for many people.

NND encyclopedia
http://dic.nicovideo.jp/a/%E3%83%90%E3%83%88%E3%83%AB%E3%83%89%E3%83%BC%E3%83%A0
search result on NND
http://www.nicovideo.jp/tag/%E3%83%90%E3%83%88%E3%83%AB%E3%83%89%E3%83%BC%E3%83%A0

The amount of videos are so many. But all of them doesn’t score page views so many. It’s nothing but a regional fad only among OTO-MAD community.

=================

FOUND ON PAGE 5

Last edited Apr 26, 2011 at 12:41AM EDT
Apr 26, 2011 at 12:37AM EDT
Quote

@1983parrothead

Oh, sorry… i “will” change my plan.

Basically, I think KYM don’t need to have an article about inside fad only among some community (2channel, Futaba, Nico Nico Douga, Pixiv, etc…). Almost all MADs and its music resources on NND are so.

However, if some of them are enjoyable for you westerners or stir up a feeling of your curiosity, it will be better to have their article on here because I also think KYM is not only a earnest documentary but also light recreational reading : )

Fortunately, all now trending Japanese memes already has its article. We have the time.
And I’m always helped by your kindness. So, if possible, I want to help you guys in return.

BTW, KYMdb Style Guide implicitly says not to embed a sea of videos in articles. Troublingly, some of Japanese meme articles we made are so.

Do you think they have to be cleaned up ?

Apr 26, 2011 at 02:21AM EDT
Quote

Well, I’ll let out a big spoiler. I think we (the mods/managers, but also the editors who would like to help) have… somewhat… planned a KYMdb Style Guide rewriting of previously confirmed entries and, I guess, current ready-to-confirm entries.
It’s not official yet though but it’s on its way. It represents a great amount of work to do.
Yeah, the Style Guide recommends no more than 9 embedded videos in articles. Now that we have a working a video section, I think it’s safe to focus on the most important videos (most views/most notable) on embeds, and link the rest to the video section.

Apr 26, 2011 at 05:40AM EDT
Quote

@Tomberry

Though video section didn’t work well at the beginning, now it does well. I think your plan is good for making an article more concise and clear :)

I’ve already finished cleaning up articles I made. It wasn’t so troublesome work to me.

If needed, I’ll clean up other articles that I have its editorship.

Apr 26, 2011 at 06:11PM EDT
Quote

I’ll see what I can do with the Battle Dome entry. I’ll add some of you to its editor list as soon as I create it.

Now there are a few things I’m wondering about.

First, there is this series of videos with the tag 頭がパーン (Atama ga Parn!, lit. “My head went Parn!”). This refers to a series of remixes that imitate the first Hissu Amoto San MAD not only for its BGM, but for the lyrics as well.

This was the one that influenced the Kirby’s Gourmet Race meme and the Falcon Parn (IeAAAAAA remix) (often referred to as the “Kirby Falcon Punch remix”). Next, add that and the RED_ZONE memes as sub-memes of Hissu Amoto San’s “Atama ga Parn!” remixes, because Hissu Amoto San spawned them. Hissu Amoto San was also the one that started the RED_ZONE MADs, so I’m sure it deserves to be a sub-meme. Here is a tree I made that shows how it all started:

Speaking of Hissu Amoto San, KYM user Mellow recently edited it several times, but sometime’s not right.

Anyway, the next thing that I’m wondering about is this, which looks as small as Passion Yara and Super Mario Club. The first one is the source video. The second video either looks real or fake. The third video below was the first one I saw, and it features someone imitating him.

Apr 27, 2011 at 03:34AM EDT
Quote

@1983parrothead

hmm, you always give me a severe task : )

> sub-meme

Nice picture. But I think you would be better think that music and visual resource are independent of each other and a hit of a certain combination of music and visual resource is not a origin of sub-music-meme of its visual resource but a trigger of spreading of its music resource. That would be simple.

For example, some of visual resources became fads by Kirby’s gourmet race remixes and red_zone remixes. Furthermore, new music resource also became popular by that visual resources. Like this, many of MAD fads on NND are connected by its music resource and linked with each other complexly and infinitely.

> These video
His name is Tamai and he is a young Japanese Bosozoku around 1990. People call him Tamai-san with a ironical respect.

To make you understand these videos, I have to describe a lot of Japanese cultures…
-Bosozoku
-reception of Bosozoku in past and now
-where he came from
-what he said

and

-How easy forcing fad in NND is. -> yeah, his fad is forced one.

Apr 27, 2011 at 10:20PM EDT
Quote

In the wake of the earthquake and tsunami, advertisements were pulled across the board from Japanese television so as to not be insensitive by virtue of bombarding people with commercialism. However, one commercial has now risen from the wreckage of being pulled off the air, and it’s so popular that it’s quickly going viral.

Apr 29, 2011 at 12:23AM EDT
Quote

@Daniel Vasquez

Though that cm was well-regarded, it lost the best opportunity appearing on TV by voluntary restraint, because it was made for celebrating the opening of Kyusyu Shinkansen at March 12th.

So, this cm wasn’t on the air on TV at all and the video on YouTube is the only way for people to watch it. Therefore, the video on YouTube went viral.

However, some people claim that it’s a rip-off of Budweiser’s ads in 2009.

Apr 30, 2011 at 03:05AM EDT
Quote

There seems to be a meme now involving a deodorant commercial where a kid sings the title of a company…

Now there’s a good number of remixes, a lot of them in metal style. (And a lot of them are Vocaloid producers, which would explain why I of all people know this. lol)

Found this list of a few of them floating around tumblr.

Original:




(I don’t blame them all for using this. Damn, the kid has a voice. Let’s replace Justin Bieber with this kid.)

Last edited Apr 30, 2011 at 05:19PM EDT
Apr 30, 2011 at 05:16PM EDT
Quote

Yeah, Shoshuriki has the potential. I’m watching how things develop.

We Japanese are in long holiday season now. So I guess many UGC inspired by this CM will be made so much and these will get much attention and page views for the near future.

In fact, over 300 videos have already been posted to NND in its 3 days.

Apr 30, 2011 at 10:35PM EDT
Quote

Pretty sure this isn’t a meme, but I need somewhere to ask this, and this is probably the best place.

What is the name of this bizarre facial expression I keep seeing in manga etc?

May 01, 2011 at 10:45PM EDT
Quote

@DrPepperfan

This is a very classic play “へのへのもへじ”(henohenomoheji) drawing face only by hiragana characters “へ”(he), “の”(no), “も”(mo) and “じ”(ji).

It isn’t a meme but something like an ASCII art dating back over centuries.

May 02, 2011 at 05:02AM EDT
Quote

Namaste! You must login or signup first!