Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured
Japanese memes

Last posted Feb 20, 2020 at 03:03AM EST. Added Feb 25, 2010 at 10:59AM EST
1185 posts from 75 users

@Ryuki Satzuki DrThundercritic

Right. The original skirt flip which directly give inspiration to those illustrations made in recent years is Ruiko Saten's skirt-flipping to Kazari Uiharu in TV anime series "To Aru Kagaku no Railgun", which was first aired in 2009.

However, as you know, skirt flip is the traditional IRL mischief, and because of this, it sometimes appears as a joke on TV shows, novels and comics.

So, if you want to insist the its notability, you had better work at TVtropes at first.

1983parrothead wrote:

There's been some arrangements, remixes and mashups of the FamilyMart and ヘーベルハウス jingles. I'm not sure if they're memes or not.

Family Mart jingle was a popular remix fad on NND in late 2008, and I think it deserves to have an entry.

Meanwhile, Hebel House ads is just a long-run and well-known TV advert. it doesn't have enough backgrounds or episodes as an internet meme.

But, KYM already have many small fad entries which amount of videos is 50 or so and those haven't been deadpooled yet. So, it may not be inappropriate to post an entry for this.

That was fast! Shall I create the Hebel House entry? If you said "it may not be inappropriate", does that mean "it's probably appropriate"?

And I noticed a while ago that the MADs entry needs an update. Some videos are offline, while there is no mention of the earliest known MAD video uploaded either on NND or elsewhere on the Internet. This isn't a request, it's a notice.

1983parrothead wrote:

That was fast! Shall I create the Hebel House entry? If you said "it may not be inappropriate", does that mean "it's probably appropriate"?

And I noticed a while ago that the MADs entry needs an update. Some videos are offline, while there is no mention of the earliest known MAD video uploaded either on NND or elsewhere on the Internet. This isn't a request, it's a notice.

Of course. I'll support your research as usual :)

I just worried about we have no memetic episode to be mentioned in the entry, though the the history of this fad on NND was easy to be traced.

> MADs

Yeah, that article needs a massive rehaul. However, as for its history, it's very unfortunate fact that there are no reliable reports for MAD phenomenon from late 70s even in Japan…

Anyway, we need to remove those offline videos right now.

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

I got inspired.

Gave it a clean-up and reorganised some information. MADs aren't my best area of research, so I leave the video section to others.

Still can't be fully certain if this needs an entry. Nearly every good Touhou song resulted in numerous remixes, don't see how this is any different. But as you're a lot more experienced than me on the topic of Touhou, I'll trust you on this.

Last edited May 25, 2012 at 06:01PM EDT

I got inspired.

That was a nice job you did :)

I made/rewrote several touhou articles because those have enough notable episodes as internet phenomenon. Some of them have very popular promoting videos among not only Touhou fans but also many other internet users since its well-made flash animations. And others are important music resources to describe the early stages of the MAD phenomena on NND.

Sadly, we can't say that song a "popular" music resource in MAD videos on NND. Those remixes and covers are nothing more than a small part in Touhou fandom, though the amount of them on NND is over one thousand.

However, from a quantitative viewpoint, the amount of those videos is comparable to that of other entries in KYM. We don't need to debate if it should go to deadpool or not.

By the way, I think that we have to share the vision of entries of branches in huge subcultures from more strategical view. As someone said in comments, we'll have countless amount of entries for every single touhou related stuffs, if we do making entries by each one's curiousness.

mona_jpn wrote:

Of course. I'll support your research as usual :)

I just worried about we have no memetic episode to be mentioned in the entry, though the the history of this fad on NND was easy to be traced.

> MADs

Yeah, that article needs a massive rehaul. However, as for its history, it's very unfortunate fact that there are no reliable reports for MAD phenomenon from late 70s even in Japan…

Anyway, we need to remove those offline videos right now.

> Hebel House TVCM

Memetic episode? You mean the trigger video? If we really lack it, then we can move on to another fad that might meet meme standards.

Some recent ones I encountered are:

• 電波実況MAD
  • お め ー の 席
  • カビキラー
  • 愛犬ロボ (Although we already mentioned this, it is hilarious and there are a few available with English subtitles.)

I probably saw more.

> MADs

Understood. We also need to check back with older meme entries for any offline videos and (if necessary) reviewing for either minor tweaks or major updates.

1983parrothead wrote:

> Hebel House TVCM

Memetic episode? You mean the trigger video? If we really lack it, then we can move on to another fad that might meet meme standards.

Some recent ones I encountered are:

• 電波実況MAD
  • お め ー の 席
  • カビキラー
  • 愛犬ロボ (Although we already mentioned this, it is hilarious and there are a few available with English subtitles.)

I probably saw more.

> MADs

Understood. We also need to check back with older meme entries for any offline videos and (if necessary) reviewing for either minor tweaks or major updates.

We are able to make entries for all of them.

電波実況MAD (Denpa Jikkyou MAD, lit. Crazy live Report MAD)

MAD fad since early 2007. The subject is an announcer's too exciting speech during the battle of Umehara the beast in a game competition in 2003. So, we have to translate the announcer's speech in order to make an entry. I haven't found any transcripts for this video.

おめーの席ねぇから! (Omee no seki neekara!, lit Your seat was gone!)

Originally a catchphrase fad. Then, it introduced to MAD resource around late 2008. This scene is taken from a TV drama series for Japanese manga life which was aired in 2007. This drama drawing bullying in a high school received much bad reputation because of its cheap plot and flagrant rendition.

It seems copyright holders have been removing videos of the original scene from YT.

愛犬ロボ 「てつ」 (Aiken Robo Testu, lit. "Tetsu" the Robot Dog)

Could you give me some translated videos? I'll try making a translation of the original infomercial by reusing them.

カビキラー

There are hundreds MAD videos for this TVCM. However, similar to Hebel house, only its sound logo sung by an old guy is favored by MAD videos lovers as a resource for their works. The TVCM series itself has never got any attention in any situations like Greetings are Magic, Shoshu-Riki or Old Spice.

Writing entry is easy. but its priority is very low as same as hebel house.

Please tell me your most favorite one. And let's start our work from it.

Okay. My favorite is…

> "Tetsu" the Robot Dog

It might be understandable to Westerners. Here are some with English subtitles. Be sure to download them in case if they become offline:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnB5HTZWR7g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veWynfm_scQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGEM1tOc6l4

> "Crazy Live Report MAD" and "Kabi Killer" (or "Mold Killer")

My second favorite is pretty much a tie between "Crazy Live Report MAD" and "Kabi Killer" (or "Mold Killer"), but to break the tie, I'm sure "Crazy Live Report MAD" series is more enjoyable to typical Westerners, because several of them think it's hilarious to hear the hysterical announcer while viewing the extremely tough pro gamer (or cyberathlete) Umehara relaxing while playing.

However, in my opinion, Umehara sometimes scares me because of how much of a pro he is, while "Kabi Killer" is interesting, because it's quite different. A spray bottle full of mold removing liquid? Where can you find something like that being used in MAD videos? Even though I don't enjoy S. C. Johnson products, I find "Kabi Killer" funny. Same to the "Ran Ran Ru" meme, which I also enjoyed, even if I don't eat at McDonald's (though I used to be obsessed with it as a kid).

> "Your seat was gone!"

I mentioned this, only because I've been seeing it often by accident, and wondered what it was. If we decide to build its entry, I will upload the source video on another website.

Anyway, to end this comment, read my other comment in the Yu-Gi-Oh! parent entry.

For the Love Colored Master Spark entry, I am looking for information on the remix "Unlimited Spark", which I have spotted used in two of the Nico Nico Melodies prior to making the entry.

I already have it's basic info, but I need to know if it has had any of it's own spread.

@1983parrothead

OK, Let's start from "Tetsu". Then, Umehara, and Mold Killer. I'll try writing an article for "Your seat was gone" when I have time.

i've almost finished writing a transcript from videos you gave to me. But I couldn't translate one phrase "Asobanka?", which means "Let's play together" in Kansai dialect.

Could you give me a good translated for this phrase? I've heard that Japanese anime character's speech in Kansai dialect is usually translated to brooklyn dialect.

> Forever My Turn

Yeah, this is a sort of catchphrase for some kind of Yu-Gi-Oh! parodies. But this phrase doesn't mean any specific scene or isn't an actual dialog by any characters. Its usage is a bit broad. So we have to spend space to explain its background and usage in its article.

Anyway, Let's talk about this again after those 3 entries above are finished.

@Natsuru Springfield

Though the official video clip on NND have watched over 1.6M times, the amount of its derivatives are about 20 or so and those don't scored many page views. So, different from Kero 9 destiny or Okuu's Nuclear Fusion Dojo, this remix isn't used in Touhou fanfictions or parodies so much.

Allright, thanks Mona.

On a diffrent note, I recently jumped onto the Editor Boat of FOE and was wondering how this spread exactly? There is a good amount of info the OP already included (though pasted directly from the Touhou Wiki), though the wiki itself isn't exactly helpful beyond speculation.

Allright, thanks Mona.

On a diffrent note, I recently jumped onto the Editor Boat of FOE and was wondering how this spread exactly? There is a good amount of info the OP already included (though pasted directly from the Touhou Wiki), though the wiki itself isn't exactly helpful beyond speculation.

Indeed, every Iosys's promoting flash animations produced by a creator Kagi scores many page views. But it's consumed by IOSYS fans, fanatic Otaku people. It doesn't mean it goes viral on the web.

Besides, this song isn't set to a subject for fan works or a music resource for online creations/parodies. The amount of derivatives of this song on NND is only about 40, and those videos aren't so popular.

So, unless this song has any notable episode or special popularity on non-Japanese web, I'll have to say this song doesn't deserve to have an entry.

About a year ago (maybe 2), there was the Korean (or Japanese) video-clip going around for a song. It was about this guy who kept on getting beaten up because he loved some gang-member's girl. Obviously in the end he got the girl… It was [wrongly] claimed that the artist was terminally ill / had died.

Anybody know what I'm referring to?

Actually, should we make an Oto MAD article (a sub-type of MADs)? It think it may deserve an entry.

Here is a reference: http://dic.nicovideo.jp/a/%E9%9F%B3%E7%B3%BBmad

Some of the content of the said page are scribed in my new wiki I am currently (probably) working on, here is the page: http://niconicodouga.wikia.com/wiki/Oto_MAD

Last edited Jun 19, 2012 at 08:49AM EDT

@shmuelakam
Hmmm, I don't remember such a song/video on the Japanese web…

Would you give us more info? (eg. Video style: live-action, Cell/CG/ hand-drawn animation or simple pictures etc… / Song style: pop, rock, R&B, much/less electro fravour, etc…)

@iheartniconico

Indeed, All MAD fad entries now on KYM is about Oto MAD type fad. If we write more correctly, the term "MADs" in all sentences in KYM should be changed into "Oto MAD Videos". (Needless to say, "MADs" isn't the a term pointing only videos.)

However, "Oto MAD" is only used for convenience, there is no proper definition based on academic considerations or wisdom of crowds. That's because MADs are created and consumed by not-so-sophisticated people as same as YTPs.

So we have to define what is "Oto MAD" by our own intelligence and words. I think it' not easy.

@mona_jpn
Your right, it is very hard to describe what it is basically.

Refer to the 原曲としてよく使われる曲 section of the Niconico Pedia page of Oto MAD. It lists the most common songs that are used for Oto MADs. There are still some songs left on our backlog of Oto MAD memes to document on this site.

Brian Gimao wrote:

@mona_jpn
Your right, it is very hard to describe what it is basically.

Refer to the 原曲としてよく使われる曲 section of the Niconico Pedia page of Oto MAD. It lists the most common songs that are used for Oto MADs. There are still some songs left on our backlog of Oto MAD memes to document on this site.

As far as I'm concerned, we've almost completed making entries of notable songs in Oto MAD video fads.

As I used to say, those frequently used songs is just used frequently. There's no memetic reason/background, but it's just because those songs are familiar to Oto MAD creators who don't have much music experiences, or quite suitable to their stereotyped editing style. people don't get inspiration from the songs but just mimic previous Oto MAD videos reusing the songs without speculations.

And, Nico Nico Pedia is mere online encyclopedia about niconico-related things. Listed in its entries doesn't mean that it's enough memetic.

So, unless it has additional notability, we don't have to give its own entry. (eg. many fan works, also reused in another culture, media coverage)

I was searching around YouTube and I found this Cute Kemono Video from Nico Nico Douga

Surprisingly I found out that there are Variations with Touhou, Pokemon e.t.c

--
They all have the same Background music and story theme: Love interesting cooking for his/her crush every day, but failing miserable while acting like a Tsundere!
It seem that the videos started appearing from 2010
I don't know which is the original and the source!
What do you think Mona?

Last edited Jun 27, 2012 at 10:21PM EDT

@Oclaf

This is one of the hand-drawn animation fads among female Otaku people in NND.
The original one is Remilia's Touhou version that you've picked up. It was uploaded to NND on July 1st, 2009. The series of those videos are named "Yoekosky Respect" which comes from a handle of original video's creator "Yoekosky".

Its storyline is basically following on the lyrics of background song "Tamagotoji" ("egg drop" or "egg scramble") which drift is "Make a lunch pack putting your unspoken endearment and confer it to your lover". This song is written by a Japanese singer Kurahashi Yoeko who was already retired in 2008. Yoekosky drew this story more comically. So, main character are drawn as poor at cooking, fails for several times and sometimes goes into frenzy.

The amount of those videos on NND is about 90. It's not so enough amount to deserve to have an entry, I guess. But those imported videos get many comments from people outside of Japan. It may be nice for us to document about this series for them.

@mona_jpn

Take your time, because I have been busy, too, and will continue until my tasks are completed.

→ Tetsu the Robotic Dog

In the original Tetsu the Robotic Dog video, "Asobanka?" reads "アホなんか?", and when I used Google's online translator, it translated as "Something stupid", but I'm sure that is incorrect. I'll have to find other human translators I know, and ask them if they can correctly translate it.

Several months ago, I also found some videos of people imitating Shuzo Matsuoka, with English subtitles added to them. This is off topic, but I thought it's worth mentioning.

→ Forever My Turn

OK. If it becomes deadpooled, then is it worth mentioning in either the Enemy Controller entry, or the Yu-Gi-Oh! parent entry? This is my final question before we move on with the other three entries.

@1983parrothead

Understood:)

> Shuzo Matsuoka

Could you remember their URLs yet? If possible, I want to watch them.

> Forever My Turn

It's hard for us to present good examples of non-English slangs/buzz words, which could be easily understood by English speakers. So, even if we give an entry to "Forever My Turn", It'll be impossible to keep its entry informative.

But I think, at least, it should be mentioned in an entry. If that Yu-Gi-Oh! entry is undeadpooled, it will be a suitable entry for this catchphrase meme.

@mona_jpn

> Shuzo Matsuoka

Someone on YouTube name "jeshii" uploaded fan-reenactments of Shuzo Matsuoka's "Shuzo Challenge" videos, with some of them having English subtitles. Some MAD videos contain these fan-reenactments for extra fun.

https://www.youtube.com/user/jeshii/videos?query=Shuzo

@1983parrothead

Thanks. I'm checking those videos now and going to improve transcript that I posted before.

BTW, I searched on NND and found them. They refer themselves as Kaiguys, and have even appeared on a Japanese TV show.

We're the Kaiguys!

Unfortunately, they haven't updated their English page for a long time… But it seems true that they are mildly popular on a small portion of the Japanese internets, as they say.

@mona_jpn

Ha ha ha (or should I say "lol" or "wwwwww"), I was watching it, too.

Anyway, I noticed that you have been tweaking some old entries submitted a few years ago, like Ichiro Suzuki and Two Two. We also should tweak the Miyoco and X is Training ones, too.

I changed its title because I found a fan-sub for this drama and it translated this remark like this.

@1983parrothead

Yes. I changed those entries format to fit to the style guide. And because I hoped Two Two featured in a special week for Pokemon by staffs, I did it in that entry. Unfortunately, they didn't pay any attention to our works:(

As to Ichiro, as you know, he was moved to NY several days ago. So, I updated that.

And yeah, I think so too. We should update old submissions even though most of them will be in idle.

I'll check and and tweak those 2 entries when I don't have any idea for new researches.

@mona_jpn

GJ! I'll check for errors in that and the KabiKiller entries.

I knew the Ichiro news because I heard your telling it to others at KYM, but I didn't hear your reason on updating the Two Two one before.

There's two reasons why the X is Training entry deserves an update:

• It fits well with the London 2012 Olympics. In fact, I found this video below, and I know there is a short version, but I forgot where it's located. http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm8014810
  • William Staub, the inventor of the treadmill, died at age 96 nearly two weeks ago on July 19, 2012.

For the Miyoco entry, it was the first meme I submitted. Her fanbase is still interested in her, but the number of newly uploaded videos is small and most of them have a small number of views.

Last edited Jul 30, 2012 at 01:37AM EDT

@1983parrothead

OK. I finished tweaking "X is training" just now. Please check it out.

I removed the paragraph about sonic because now we have an entry for that game series and that video was taken down from YouTube. Instead, I re-imported "Shrimp on a Treadmill" video from NND.

> Mr. William Staub

That being the case, we'll have to tweak Shrimp on a treadmill and OK Go on Treadmills too.

BTW, Brad announced Regional Internet Meme Research Project today. And Japan day is now scheduled on August 6th.

I don't imagine what kind of entries will be picked up by staffs…

Hello everyone, I'm wondering.about this and whether it's entry worthy.

I've seen quite a few parodies of anime openings and fights with characters, made using the WWE Smackdown Vs Raw games.
There were more on Youtube, like a Madoka one and several Touhou fights, but they've all been taken down due to account deletion.

However, I'm also wondering if this would actually count as a Japanese meme, seeing the amount of English videos that have been made in the same vein.

Please let me know what you think of this.

@Rin Tezuka

This brings back memories… I don't know if it is/was also popular in the outside of Japan. So, I would like to talk its popularity on the Japanese web.

This kind of parodies that recreate anime/manga/video game characters by "Create-A-Superstar" mode in Smackdown series already began in 2channel in around early 2003. And several videos started to be uploaded to the web around late 2004.

Then, the amount of those videos had been increased since after google video, YouTube and Nico Nico Douga were continually launched in 2005-2007.

Those videos are tagged under "エキプロ", the abbreviation of a previous Japanese title for Smackdown series "Exciting Pro Wrestling" (エキサイティングプロレス).

There are over one thousand videos on both websites.

But it seems that people had got tired of it around 2009. This was because "Create-A-Superstar" mode had continued being changed for the worse and it made them lose motivations so much. Moreover, they found a new toy that could make this kind of parodies much more freely, Miku Miku Dance.

So, this is an already defunct fad in Japanese web.

Last edited Aug 01, 2012 at 11:52AM EDT

mona_jpn wrote:

@1983parrothead

OK. I finished tweaking "X is training" just now. Please check it out.

I removed the paragraph about sonic because now we have an entry for that game series and that video was taken down from YouTube. Instead, I re-imported "Shrimp on a Treadmill" video from NND.

> Mr. William Staub

That being the case, we'll have to tweak Shrimp on a treadmill and OK Go on Treadmills too.

BTW, Brad announced Regional Internet Meme Research Project today. And Japan day is now scheduled on August 6th.

I don't imagine what kind of entries will be picked up by staffs…

@mona_jpn

→ X is Training

I know the Sonic entry was created and the Sonic video was taken down, but removing the paragraph was a good choice. I was already aware of the X is Training entry's status before you updated it to a better standard. GJ on that entry. I tweaked it by moving the Shrimp on a treadmill into its own section titled "Westerner's appeal" because it was originally uploaded by a YouTube user that was a native English speaker (perhaps from the U. S. or U. K.), while I added Fumu (Tiff) is Training in its old place, because the Fumu one has nearly 75,000 views on YouTube VS. over 2,000 on NND.

→ OK Go and Shrimp entries

We'll have to contact the editors of them entries on Mr. William Staub's faith.

→ Regional Internet Meme Research Project

They'll either pick submissions that neither have been confirmed nor deadpooled, or review either already confirmed or deadpooled entries.

@1983parrothead

Thanks.

> Westerner's Appeal

I sometimes ponder when we should give individual sections to reactions to a regional meme/fad in other regions. For example, like this case, if there are 2 or 3 YTPMVs by Japanese editors, should we give them the section "Japanese's appeal"? I don't have a clear answer about this. I'd like to leave it to staffs.

BTW, it seems that staffs will grow up Kirby's entry as a subculture article. But that is left for a long time. Should we embark improving that?

> Shrimp on a treadmill

I don't know about the meme "Shrimp on a treadmill" so much. But there are several news reports about the original research.

I think that entry had better cover those earnest mentions and be rewritten more academically. now that is just a collection of funny videos.

> Regional Internet Meme Research Project

As of now, they pick up only one meme in each day. If they had picked up multiple articles, we had to prepare to help their work. It seems my worry has proved unfounded. hahaha.

Last edited Aug 05, 2012 at 12:31PM EDT

@mona_jpn

→ Westerner's appeal

"Japanese appeal"? That reminds me of "Gates of Childhood", the Japanese tag for "Crazy Frog Bros.", and "Keyboard Crasher", the Japanese tag for "Angry German Kid".

→ Shrimp on a treadmill

We'll I didn't mean for you to support it, due to being an English fad. I agree that it needs "About", "History" and "Spread" sections.

→ Regional Internet Meme Research Project

Hmmm. There's nothing they brought up related to a Japanese meme.

→ Other

I wonder what other entry shall be updated next? The "Futae no Kiwami" one hasn't been updated much since it was created, but you said it's painfully difficult. "Noroi no Yakata" might necessarily require one. And what about MIYOCO?

Now I'm losing motivation to contribute KYM so much. I'll take a summer vacation for a while…

@1983parrothead

In those 2 memes, the original fads in English web didn't affect to regional fads in Japanese web. Japanese internet users, can't/won't read English web, re-found the source videos by themselves and lionized them in their own way.

Or, several MAD/YTPMV fads like Terry Crews or RED ZONE, are imported from one to the other, given another meaning, and cooked by another taste.

Those cases can be considered as another stream that branched from the original. I think we should devote space in those cases.

> Other

Basically, we need to update the entries that don't employ "External References" style. Miyoco is applicable to this. Its description is perfect. it won't take a long time for us to tweak it:)

We've already tweaked Noroi no Yakata. And admins have their favorite video-layout style. I think it's ok we leave it to them.

The most difficult work in "Futae no Kiwami" is making the parallel translation sheet for the notable quotes in 5 or 6 languages and their phonetic translations. we can't explain its ridiculousness without it.

Understood. Me and my friends and family are also becoming exhausted. Some took from small free-time relaxations to massages to typical (or sometimes extraordinary) vacations, some are planning to start them, and some took "staycations" (vacations that stay at home).

→ The 2 Memes

I knew that. However, some Keyboard Crasher videos are similar to Angry German Kid (AGK) videos, where incorrect (but comedic / hilarious) subtitles are added to the original videos. For Gates of Childhood, they seem more artistic than Crazy Frog Bros. videos.

→ Other

Hmmm, impressive. The Miyoco entry was my first meme entry I submitted. The only things it needs tweaking are better examples of the meme, and a translation script for the first video (which can be found in the video's comments). I understood on Noroi no Yakata, but I thought it would require the same video arrangement as some other entries you submitted and / or updated.

"Futae no Kiwami" will have to require its own WIP thread in the "Meme Research" forum for 5 or 6 native language users to support us in writing translation scripts. But while you are losing motivation after spending time and effort on submitting and updating some entries, it's obviously best to rest for a while until we are ready to heavily update "Futae no Kiwami".

→ New fad / meme noticed

This doesn't have to be submitted as soon as possible, because of your current status. I noticed that there are several videos of a Toyota Prius becoming viral only to Japanese users. It looks easy for other regions to make sense of. Here is one example:

Last edited Aug 13, 2012 at 03:53AM EDT

mona_jpn wrote:

@Rin Tezuka

This brings back memories… I don't know if it is/was also popular in the outside of Japan. So, I would like to talk its popularity on the Japanese web.

This kind of parodies that recreate anime/manga/video game characters by "Create-A-Superstar" mode in Smackdown series already began in 2channel in around early 2003. And several videos started to be uploaded to the web around late 2004.

Then, the amount of those videos had been increased since after google video, YouTube and Nico Nico Douga were continually launched in 2005-2007.

Those videos are tagged under "エキプロ", the abbreviation of a previous Japanese title for Smackdown series "Exciting Pro Wrestling" (エキサイティングプロレス).

There are over one thousand videos on both websites.

But it seems that people had got tired of it around 2009. This was because "Create-A-Superstar" mode had continued being changed for the worse and it made them lose motivations so much. Moreover, they found a new toy that could make this kind of parodies much more freely, Miku Miku Dance.

So, this is an already defunct fad in Japanese web.

This is an invalid argument Mona. It doesn't matter if they're no longer popular, what matters is that they were for a large amount of time in the past. Plenty of memes and fads we have entries for are long dead, but that doesn't take the fact away that they were popular memes in the past. Time doesn't erase their validity as memes.

As for how it's currently dead, something like that can easily mentioned in the entry. Just point out how its popularity has dropped now that the "Create-A-Superstar" mode made a turn for the worst, plus MMD taking over.

I don't have much knowledge about this, so I'm sorry that I can't help you with the research. But nonetheless, I'd love to see an entry for this if it really was popular.

Last edited Aug 14, 2012 at 09:25AM EDT

@1983parrothead

Roger. "Miyoco" and "Noroi no Yakata" are now added to our tweaking plan. it will be nice for us to pick up additional videos by their page views on NND, as usual.

> Futae no Kiwami
One of the reason why I can't get motivated to this meme is that it's hard to share funniness of Japanese misheard phrases with you guys. I tried it in the article of "Matsuda, you idiot!". But you guys basically enjoy the surficial ridiculousness of shouts, and don't care the meanings of those phrases.

So, it's "lots of pain and not much gain" for me…

> Prius
That is "Electric vehicle warning sounds series" (車両接近通報装置シリーズ) video.

NND Search results for 車両接近通報装置シリーズ

It became a fad on NND in the middle of 2010 partly due to its awfully convenient editing style, just swapping warning sounds. Because of this, there are more than 500 videos on NND.

Though I don't like non-creative people's fads like this, if it's easy for you guys to make sense of, it'll deserve to have an entry.

@RandomMan

Oh, wait. I didn't talk if it deserve to have an entry, but just talked about its history and present situation :-)

Perhaps, it may be enjoyable for you Westerners because it reuses WWE video games. But if we make an entry, we'll need a bit more basic research because I can't remind its actual impact on the Japanese web in those days.

Mona, don't despair.
It's not because of lot of people remixing Mads do it because of the shouts or the weirdness of the scenes involved that its core signification to the Japanese shouldn't be explained, or, at least, have a mention in the article.
I mean, "Soramimi" (animutation) and "misheard lyrics" (phonetic translation) are the best examples there are to show you that memes also love to play on dubbing and misheard phrases.
If you have trouble translating your idea into words to neatly describe it, call us for help.

I found another MAD video fad called Tamai-san, that came from this video

The scene, that has been cut out, gained more than 420.000 views on Nico Nico Douga.
Do you think it has spread and will get it's own entry, mona?

Last edited Aug 21, 2012 at 12:44PM EDT

@Tomberry

Thank you Tomberry. You're Shuzo Matsuoka in France:)
I've been able to continue my contributions by the support by good fellows in this thread. I always thank to you all.

I'm going to write a draft for "Futae no kiwami" little by little.

@gi97ol

We've talked about this video in this thread before. The main subject of this online mockery is a boy called Tamai who appears in that video from 2:20. He had been used in many MAD videos from late 2010 till 2011. NND users sarcastically call him "Tamai-san" (玉井さん) as if they respects him.

The amount of those videos are enough to have its own entry, I think.

But, to document this fad on NND, we have to translate all of his remarks and explain a lot of Japanese Bōsōzoku culture that he belongs to. It takes some time, as usual.

Hauu! You must login or signup first!