Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured
Japanese memes

Last posted Feb 20, 2020 at 03:03AM EST. Added Feb 25, 2010 at 10:59AM EST
1185 posts from 75 users

BTW, WWE is ONLY made for entertainment… which makes it into a part of American television. It's a f**king piece of shit.

Anyway, I plan to make the entry for "Cool Series" today.

AND I have found another fad!
Mona, do you know the anime Ojamajo Doremi?
It's first OP became so popular. Crazy Frog Bros became popular on NND thanks to the video with the OP.

Shall we make an entry for the OP "Ojamajo Carnival"?

@gi97ol
> Cold Series
Sounds Good:) Since you're well-trained, You can do most of researching for submission by yourself.

> Ojamajo Carnival!! (おジャ魔女カーニバル!!)

You can read its popularity on niconico from this search results. However, Ojamajo Doremi was first aired in 1999-2000. So it had been probably used in parody flash animations or classical MADs before the video-sharing era. If we make an entry for this song, we have to cover those early instances.

@gi97ol
Not bad. I'll check and tweak it later.

BTW, I'd like to point out that you sometimes make same mistakes in submissions.

You usually adduce video's page views as evidence of popularity. But page views aren't always reflected to videos popularity or notability. For example, Chilled Series videos which were posted before "Hiyashi Dogeza" began increasing its page views after it triggered the fad. Till then, those videos were completely unpopular and hadn't gotten any attention. The important thing is not page views as of now, but the impact which videos gave to the community at the moment of its uploading.

Of course, it requires insights to situations surrounding memes/fads by reading users comments, blog posts or additional (meta) data. It may be hard for you because you aren't neither native English speaker nor Japanese speaker. But you can ask us the help before submissions as always.

Feel free to give us more questions to improve the quality.

mona_jpn wrote:

@gi97ol
Not bad. I'll check and tweak it later.

BTW, I'd like to point out that you sometimes make same mistakes in submissions.

You usually adduce video's page views as evidence of popularity. But page views aren't always reflected to videos popularity or notability. For example, Chilled Series videos which were posted before "Hiyashi Dogeza" began increasing its page views after it triggered the fad. Till then, those videos were completely unpopular and hadn't gotten any attention. The important thing is not page views as of now, but the impact which videos gave to the community at the moment of its uploading.

Of course, it requires insights to situations surrounding memes/fads by reading users comments, blog posts or additional (meta) data. It may be hard for you because you aren't neither native English speaker nor Japanese speaker. But you can ask us the help before submissions as always.

Feel free to give us more questions to improve the quality.

Thank you for the advice.
As always, I'm really bad at giving information, how a "meme" received notability. That's my only weakness when making entries.
And ok… I will ask questions BEFORE making an entry. :)

@gi97ol
Don't worry. You're already able to research a large part of NND fads by yourself. You may read the situations and atmosphere in NND much better than KYM staffs because you're also working as a MAD editor on there. You should be proud of yourself:)

BTW, I have to finish several other re-editing first for various reasons. It'll take several days. Sorry, gi97ol, please wait for a while.

edit:
I'm also planning to clean up Kumikyoku entry for explaining Chilled Series.

Last edited Feb 07, 2013 at 04:49PM EST

Brian Gimao wrote:

Umm… About this meme? http://www.nicovideo.jp/search/%E8%86%B3

Zen is nothing more than an inside joke in MAD editor community.

Zen is never a funny TV commercial by itself. However, some non-creative people in the community are fond of making MADs by this. Just because of this, there are so many Zen's MAD videos.

Of course, KYM has been accepting entries for such a trivial story. There is nothing to prevent a submission.

Brian Gimao wrote:

Well, shall we make an article for Zen? I will also write the article on the Niconico Douga Wiki (niconicodouga.wikia.com).

Sure. OK, I'll write a draft. The article need to describe meanings of several key scenes in TVCM series, and explain why all video titles and thumbnails is uniformed. Maybe I'm the only one who could do this.

mona_jpn wrote:

Sure. OK, I'll write a draft. The article need to describe meanings of several key scenes in TVCM series, and explain why all video titles and thumbnails is uniformed. Maybe I'm the only one who could do this.

About 膳
A commercial of the product introduced some dancing women. A woman was asking (?) to the actor 真田広之 (Sanada Hiroyuki) something. Could you add this information to the article? It seems to be also used in MADs. And also… what did she say?

What you need to add to the article:
Protagonists, Well known phrases used in these MADs, Dialogue of the commercials, Air-date of the commercials, Which MAD made this fad popular and how many videos there are now,

And outside of this reply:
Did you finish writing the Chilled Series entry?

Found the tag 陰陽師. Found a video. Realised it has fucking huge 13 million views.
The video's name is 新・豪血寺一族 -煩悩解放 – レッツゴー!陰陽師 (sm9)
Do you know about this video, mona-sama?

@gi97ol
> Zen
Sure. Most of you pointed will be covered. But, preparing translations for all TVCM versions is a bit heavy work for me. I'd like to explain those concise.

> Let's go! ying-yang master (レッツゴー!陰陽師)

This is one of the very important memes on the Japanese web. We can't talk about the history of niconico without "sm9". However, it's definitely clear that it's quite bored to non-Japanese people.

And I have to reduce a stack of requests from you guys at first. I haven't been able to start in "chilled series" yet… Sorry, gi97ol.

mona_jpn wrote:

@gi97ol
> Zen
Sure. Most of you pointed will be covered. But, preparing translations for all TVCM versions is a bit heavy work for me. I'd like to explain those concise.

> Let's go! ying-yang master (レッツゴー!陰陽師)

This is one of the very important memes on the Japanese web. We can't talk about the history of niconico without "sm9". However, it's definitely clear that it's quite bored to non-Japanese people.

And I have to reduce a stack of requests from you guys at first. I haven't been able to start in "chilled series" yet… Sorry, gi97ol.

@mona_jpn
> Let's Go! Onmyoji (レッツゴー!陰陽師)
We shall do that as well.
> MADs (https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/subcultures/mads)
And also, the mother of all the MAD articles? SOONER OR LATER, IT WILL DEFINITELY NEED A TOTAL REHAUL! IT HAS NOT RECEIVED AN UPDATE FOR ALMOST A YEAR!

Last edited Feb 12, 2013 at 07:36AM EST

Brian Gimao wrote:

@mona_jpn
> Let's Go! Onmyoji (レッツゴー!陰陽師)
We shall do that as well.
> MADs (https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/subcultures/mads)
And also, the mother of all the MAD articles? SOONER OR LATER, IT WILL DEFINITELY NEED A TOTAL REHAUL! IT HAS NOT RECEIVED AN UPDATE FOR ALMOST A YEAR!

> Let’s Go! Onmyoji (レッツゴー!陰陽師)

Sure. But as I wrote before, its priority is very low. And I haven't yet bought books/magazines describing MAD phenomena on NND for researching. I haven't been ready to start writing an article yet.

> MADs

Indeed, we have to rewrite that article from scratch. But it's extremely difficult for us because MADs had been completely underground culture among few Japanese college students till early 2000s and there are no reliable previous researches for MADs in academic area or commercial media.

Probably you and all non-Japanese people imagine that MAD culture has been carried on in an unbroken line from the end of 1970s, and had a big presence in the Japanese (sub)culture. But it's a huge mistake, totally incorrect.

We have to do those researching by ourselves.

mona_jpn wrote:

> Let’s Go! Onmyoji (レッツゴー!陰陽師)

Sure. But as I wrote before, its priority is very low. And I haven't yet bought books/magazines describing MAD phenomena on NND for researching. I haven't been ready to start writing an article yet.

> MADs

Indeed, we have to rewrite that article from scratch. But it's extremely difficult for us because MADs had been completely underground culture among few Japanese college students till early 2000s and there are no reliable previous researches for MADs in academic area or commercial media.

Probably you and all non-Japanese people imagine that MAD culture has been carried on in an unbroken line from the end of 1970s, and had a big presence in the Japanese (sub)culture. But it's a huge mistake, totally incorrect.

We have to do those researching by ourselves.

@mona_jpn
> MADs
Right, I also got something to do for my wiki (niconicodouga.wikia.com)!

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

Alright, the Yukkuri Shiteitte Ne article is missing a piece of info that has been bugging me for quite some time. What voice synthesizer is used to voice the Yukkuri's?

Example of the voice I am talking about

I have seen this voice commonly used to voice them, so it might be worth mentioning in the article.

That voice is generated by SofTalk, a text-to-speech software dedicated to Japanese language. And as you pointed, it's preset voice is considered as "Yukkuri Voice" among Japanese internet users. But it's not so related to the shift-JIS art meme of Yukkuri Shiteitte Ne. Softalk itself is well-known because it have been commonly used in many NND videos and assisted tools for niconico live.

So, Yukkuri Voice is nothing more than a term of endearment for Softalk.

ふしぎなくすりシリーズ
This tag features hand-drawed MAD videos (手書きMAD) consisting of some character being drunk or something else and a song licensed by KONAMI, but the two artists of the song ふしぎなくすり are 上野圭市 feat. SATOE.
The tag has for now more than 450 videos and it started somehow in the mid of 2010.
What do you think? Is an entry worth?

gi97ol wrote:

ふしぎなくすりシリーズ
This tag features hand-drawed MAD videos (手書きMAD) consisting of some character being drunk or something else and a song licensed by KONAMI, but the two artists of the song ふしぎなくすり are 上野圭市 feat. SATOE.
The tag has for now more than 450 videos and it started somehow in the mid of 2010.
What do you think? Is an entry worth?

1983parrothead wrote:

Yes. He’s the one.

Oops, I missed you post. sorry.

Hmm, It seems he is just an inside fad among "When they cry" fans. Indeed, there are more than 300 videos related to him on NND. But most of them were uploaded in 2007 – 2008, quite early days of NND which didn't have so many resource for video parodies. He was just overused, and doesn't have enough impact or presence in the Japanese web.

We don't have to work for him, I guess.

Brian Gimao wrote:

We got another one in our hands. http://www.nicovideo.jp/search/%E6%B2%B3%E7%AB%A5%20%E9%9F%B3MAD

I think that touhou song, Akutagawa Ryunosuke's Kappa ~Candid Friend ~, is unnecessary for us to document the history of OTO-MAD on niconico.

Besides, Akutagawa Ryunosuke's Kappa doesn't have any additional notable episodes like Overdrive's Kimoi Girls parody, Okuu's "Caution" sign in Nuclear Fusion, Original Dance fads for Cirno's Perfect Mass Class and Kero ⑨ Destinity.

So I guess we don't need to have an entry for this song.

Brian Gimao wrote:

@mona_jp
Question. Why Inmu video titles sometimes must end with a suffix? (e.g. .exe/.mp4/.mid/.cpp etc.)

There are many kinds of extensions added to Inmu video titles. However, its type isn't meaningful but its manner is.

That's based on an episode that an Inmu video uploader published a video without removing the extension from its title in a lather. It happened in August 2011. His careless mistake has become an inside joke among Inmufags, many of them follow the manner of naming in their video titles.

mona_jpn wrote:

There are many kinds of extensions added to Inmu video titles. However, its type isn't meaningful but its manner is.

That's based on an episode that an Inmu video uploader published a video without removing the extension from its title in a lather. It happened in August 2011. His careless mistake has become an inside joke among Inmufags, many of them follow the manner of naming in their video titles.

@mona_jpn
> Inmu
Do you think that the extension meme is also to circumvent deletion?

Brian Gimao wrote:

@mona_jpn
> Inmu
Do you think that the extension meme is also to circumvent deletion?

Nope. Indeed, Inmu videos have suffered on arbitrary deletions by NND admins since 2012. Inmufags call this "Homocaust". But, extensions never help avoiding from admin's search light.

It's just a joke.

Brian Gimao wrote:

@mona_jpn
Regarding the entire Otomad subject, do you think you are now ready to start a draft on that subject?

I think KYM doesn’t need to have an entry for OTOMAD separately from MAD entry. It is only necessary to put additional section about it into MAD entry.
niconico wikia where you’ve mainly contributed may need the article because it may be a suitable term to tag most of entries on niconico wikia.
The problem is that there is no definition of OTOMAD, although there are hundreds of thousands of video remixes called as this name. Anybody, including me, can’t tell the features, formats or something essential points for OTOMADs.
So, I have no idea but say "A term “OTOMAD” refers to NND’s video remixes similar to YTPMV on YouTube."

Last edited Feb 25, 2013 at 01:03PM EST

mona_jpn wrote:

I think KYM doesn’t need to have an entry for OTOMAD separately from MAD entry. It is only necessary to put additional section about it into MAD entry.
niconico wikia where you’ve mainly contributed may need the article because it may be a suitable term to tag most of entries on niconico wikia.
The problem is that there is no definition of OTOMAD, although there are hundreds of thousands of video remixes called as this name. Anybody, including me, can’t tell the features, formats or something essential points for OTOMADs.
So, I have no idea but say "A term “OTOMAD” refers to NND’s video remixes similar to YTPMV on YouTube."

Right, KYM's article on MADs (knowyourmeme.com/memes/subcultures/mads) will be rewritten to include the types of MADs (e.g. OtoMAD), but for the Niconico Douga Wiki; it will need a separate entry. I had already done so, as one of my first articles on Niconico Douga Wiki (niconicodouga.wikia.com/wiki/Oto_MAD), but it needs a little thinking about "putting the right sentences to better describe the article".

Right now, the Niconico Douga Wiki currently has no editors other than myself (I created the Niconico Douga Wiki in 2012). As the founder of the Niconico Douga Wiki, will you be my first editor?

Brian Gimao wrote:

Right, KYM's article on MADs (knowyourmeme.com/memes/subcultures/mads) will be rewritten to include the types of MADs (e.g. OtoMAD), but for the Niconico Douga Wiki; it will need a separate entry. I had already done so, as one of my first articles on Niconico Douga Wiki (niconicodouga.wikia.com/wiki/Oto_MAD), but it needs a little thinking about "putting the right sentences to better describe the article".

Right now, the Niconico Douga Wiki currently has no editors other than myself (I created the Niconico Douga Wiki in 2012). As the founder of the Niconico Douga Wiki, will you be my first editor?

Indeed, like niconico douga wiki, wikia specializing for niconico may be more suitable site to describe about fads or keywords which are notable in niconico only. For example, MAD fads gi97ol usually brings to this thread would be better to be written in niconico douga wiki rather than in KYM.

But, I'm hardly able to take enough time to help your work on that wiki because I'm also working as one of entry moderators in KYM… All I can probably do is a short review and a maintenance.

Anyway, I know we had better work for MADs entry as soon as possible. After finishing several tasks stacked in the backyard, I'll work for this at once.

Last edited Feb 27, 2013 at 02:48PM EST

mona_jpn wrote:

Indeed, like niconico douga wiki, wikia specializing for niconico may be more suitable site to describe about fads or keywords which are notable in niconico only. For example, MAD fads gi97ol usually brings to this thread would be better to be written in niconico douga wiki rather than in KYM.

But, I'm hardly able to take enough time to help your work on that wiki because I'm also working as one of entry moderators in KYM… All I can probably do is a short review and a maintenance.

Anyway, I know we had better work for MADs entry as soon as possible. After finishing several tasks stacked in the backyard, I'll work for this at once.

Yeah, I shall recruit gi97ol to my wiki. He is the one who can bring all of his "MAD" theories to the Niconico Douga Wiki (niconicodouga.wikia.com).

1983parrothead wrote:

健生中醫 doesn't look much like a meme nor something easy for non-Japanese Internet users to get the point of.

> 健生中醫
This is a Taiwanese TV commercial. As you may notice, it has been pretty much parodied in Taiwanese TV shows and by Taiwanese internet users.

But, KYM hasn't work for this although it was already pointed in Chinese Memes Research thread…

Brian Gimao wrote:

Yeah, I shall recruit gi97ol to my wiki. He is the one who can bring all of his "MAD" theories to the Niconico Douga Wiki (niconicodouga.wikia.com).

OK :) I'll help!

1983parrothead wrote:

Shall we submit a subculture entry about Nichijou? It has a couple of sub-entries, plus see also 日常OP2パロリンク at NND.

NARUTO also has to get it's own entry… there are a lot of AMVs

I don't have much interest to making subculture entries. Indeed, if something has 3 or 4 internet phenomenon derived from it, it should have an entry to collect those relating entries by KYM's poor features. But, If KYM's tag feature worked well, we wouldn't have need to make parent entries consisting of boring copy&paste from wikipedia and each sub-entries…

@1983parrothead
> Nichijou

• OP parody (1st & 2nd)
  • It's salmon (catch phrase utilizing in MADs)
  • popular resource for MAD videos in NND (additional)

I don't know any other episodes. you have any other idea?

@gi97ol
> NARUTO

• Balancing Sasuke (Taiwanese figure meme)
  • Sasukee (Japanese catch phrase meme born in Futaba)
  • Popular resource for AMVs by Westerners (additional)

I think It's not enough amount…

Sorry, I'm recently very busy and can't manage time to come here.

@gi97ol
That is a tag for classic-style MAD videos utilizing a parody video of job-hunting interview manual for college students, which is called "Perfect Interview Manual" (必勝面接マニュアル).

The original footage:

It's uncertain who made it. but, by the look of its poor quality, it seems to be made by an amatuer theatrical circle in a college.

MAD are made by reenacting that ridiculous interview manual by fictional characters along with narrations taken from the original video.

Unfortunately, non-Japanese speakers maybe can't understand its ridiculousness coming from many nonsense rules in Japanese job hunting. To be honest, both the original video and MAD videos are quite boring for me…

@1983parrothead
Sorry, I can't contribute for any entry in next several weeks or months. Recently VanManner is doing very good editing in anime related entries. Please try improving quality of your entries by referencing his works.

Yo! You must login or signup first!