"first comment" is it a meme?

Last posted Sep 16, 2009 at 09:55PM EDT. Added Sep 16, 2009 at 05:33PM EDT
10 posts from 5 users

is it a meme?

Sep 16, 2009 at 05:33PM EDT

lol……………………..
yea?

Sep 16, 2009 at 05:55PM EDT

Seriously, yeah, it probably can be considered a meme. It’s a contagious behavior that spreads from one person to another and happens in transformative ways and can even imply different meanings. Some people post “FIRST!!!!” enthusiastically because they really REALLY wanted to get there first, for whatever reason. Most people do it in a way that mocks the enthusiasm that others have over it.
I wouldn’t have a clue where this began, how it spread, or even how to begin finding the origin because it’s so obscure.
I suppose if someone could mine the contents of all of the Youtube comments ever, and search for all instances of the word First appearing in the first comment, then we might be able to get close to an answer. But I’m not sure that something like that is within our capabilities.
General Google searches, Google Insights, Twitter, etc aren’t really of any use when the only term you’re searching for is “First”

Sep 16, 2009 at 06:02PM EDT

hmm ok thanks :D

Sep 16, 2009 at 06:19PM EDT

I’ve always seen “FIRST!” as a way of trolling.

Sep 16, 2009 at 09:22PM EDT

You know, you’re probably right. I bet it’s always been just trolling. I never cared to look deeply into why people did it. I just assumed it was part of the easily-amused and easily pissed off nature of most youtube commenters. I figure that if there are people that go “OMG SHE’S SO HOT. MARRY ME” every single time they see a female on camera, they probably also got some weird rush out of getting their first.

Sep 16, 2009 at 09:31PM EDT

possible a troll,

Sep 16, 2009 at 09:55PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!