Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,809 total conversations in 4,530 threads

+ New Thread

World Cup Meme Taskforce

Last posted Aug 06, 2010 at 11:43AM EDT. Added May 23, 2010 at 05:27PM EDT
62 posts from 23 users

sup memesters and soccer fans. sooo world cup 2010 is close upon us and i thought this is a great opportunity for us to beef up on football-related memes.

for those less familiar with the games, FIFA world cup has long been the most viewed sport event in the world and needless to say, this makes a very memely occasion for the interwebs. of course, given its high fidelity nature, they're less likely to be long-lasting memes, but nevertheless worth documenting. See Google Insights result for World Cup.

so far, we've covered less than half a dozen football-related memes in the database:

so here's my proposal:

1. documenting football-related memes in the weeks leading up to world cup 2010. with sufficient info & media, these entries will be expedited for confirmation.

2. monitoring memetic activities and online buzz during this month-long event. if you frequent football-related forums and websites, this should be an easy task & we'd love your help.

3. community voting on the most memorable moments of world cup 2010, which will be then turned into an episode in august (or i hope).

let the memery begin!

Last edited May 23, 2010 at 05:31PM EDT

I found this Image while searching Google.

I don't know that much about Soccer/Football though. I'm just not that into sports. So I probably won't be able to help you out very much on this Meme Brad. I will add Photos if I find them though.

nice set, @vlad! i believe you're already helping out :D. i wouldn't call myself a big sports fan either, with the only exception being soccer/football. IT'S GAMETIME BROSKIS!

When it comes to sports, I know almost nothing.
Except that I can tell when the San Jose Sharks are winning whenever my brother yells GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL.

I hope Switzerland do well. Oh yeah! I think we might have a possible meme forming over here in the UK! Football songs for england are being put onto Youtube thick and fast, and most are very funny!

Last edited May 25, 2010 at 04:16PM EDT

Here's an overall summary of soccer-related trends for this morning:
Twitter: nothing yet.
Google Insights: nothing yet.
Google Hot Trends (USA): Dominated by MTV movie awards and WWDC coverage.
Reddit: same
Digg: same
Buzzfeed: Racist World Cup costume: http://www.buzzfeed.com/scott/racist-world-cup-costume

Okay, so World Cup fever has yet to hit most of the trending topics lists, and the news that most people in this corner of the globe are looking at has to do with last nights MTV Movie Awards (Will Smith called for Amber Lamps, Sandra Bullock kissed Scarlet Johannsen [sp?] and people said "fuck" uncensored a lot). The news of Stuart Cable's death is pretty big, and there's some game called SS3 that people are tweeting a lot about.

I spoke too soon. Just now the terms "Tanzânia" and "Felipe Melo" broke through to #9 and #10 respectively on Twitter Trending Topics. Both terms are used within the context of soccer, and the majority of those tweets are from Brazil.

If there's one thing we know so far, it's that Brazil loves their memes, and many sources are projecting them to win the World Cup, lending credence to the memes=performance hypothesis.

Mashable: 10 best World Cup goals on Youtube
http://mashable.com/2010/06/07/best-world-cup-goals/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:Mashable(Mashable)

@Tiago, Touhou. It's a video game.

@Thread:

"World Cup" is now #6 on Google Hot Trends (USA), beating out searches for the Major League Baseball draft picks.
http://www.google.com/trends/hottrends?q=world+cup&date=2010-6-8&sa=X

It looks like things really picked up today.

La Cuauhtemiña has to make a comeback at this world cup. It's been 12 years since Blanco played a WC for Mexico and he has to show the world his trademark maneuver. France 98 wasn't enough for La Cuauhtemiña, SA 2010 will be the event where it will be a massive online hit since there are a lot more poeple on the internet now. For those who don't know what La Cuauhtemiña is here's a vid.

It is literally the best and worst thing ever to come out of a world cup.

Last edited Jun 09, 2010 at 03:59PM EDT

We had this meme in Brazil some days ago, about Tulio Tanaka, a player of the japanese team (but born in Brazil) that acidentally broke Drogba's arm in a pre-cup game. Since Drogba is the best player from Ivory Coast, direct adversary of Brazil in the group, Tanaka became sort of a hero, and went on brazilian twitter TT (with jokes pretty much like Chuck Norris, but mostly soccer related).

It's too early, but it may well become a meme in the next days (especially if it's confirmed that Drogba is out).

Just search for Tulio Tanaka on Google and Twitter and you'll see the buzz on this case. The meme on twitter even got a mention on the news here

Last edited Jun 09, 2010 at 08:51PM EDT

@automaticmario

YESSS. I do remember Blanco and that move from World Cup 98, but never knew what it was called! Don't know if you watched it, but Mexico vs. S Korea was a really brutal game and I definitely remember trying to copy that trick in gradeschool.

please…….. no more… soccer…. memes….
………………………………………………….

@brad: our teacher let us watch the the game at school. It was like the last week of second grade so it didn't really matter to her since we were the advanced kids in a Mexican school. That summer I attempted Cuauhtemiñas all the time during pick up games in the street. I've been a Blanco fanboy since I was 7 years old.

The game was pretty brutal. If I recall, the whole group had some agrro and hot tempered teams. Mexico vs Netherlands (which ended with an amazing goal by Blanco) was a pretty violent game as well.

BTW it was dubbed the "Blanco Bounce" by the Brit media.

Last edited Jun 10, 2010 at 10:19PM EDT

Whoa! World Cup is dominating the search trends this morning.

This morning's soccer/football trending topics list. (omitted numbers are NOT soccer/football related)

Google Hot Trends (USA)
#1. watch world cup 2010 online

#2. world cup live streaming

#5. Mexico vs South Africa

#6. espn world cup schedule

#7. bafana bafana meaning

#8. world cup opening ceremony

#9. soccer games

#12. south africa world cup

#13. south africa time zone

#15. espn 3

#16. fifa live

#17. fifa schedule

#19. fifa rankings

That means that the World Cup is currently holding 13/20 of the Hot Trends on Google in the US.

Google Insights Rising Searches for the last 7 days: World Cup is #9 out of 10.

Twitter Trending Topics:

9/10 topics currently trending on Twitter are related to the World Cup. There are a lot of celebrities in South Africa for the World Cup, and their names are trending because of this.

#1. World Cup Opening Ceremony

#2. Femi Kuti

#3. Nelson Mandela

#4. Desmond Tutu

#5. Ceremonia Inaugural

#6. dung beetle Apparently a dung beetle was an image used in part of the opening ceremony

#7. Naomi Campbell

#8. #worldcup

#10. wc2010

Nothing big that's world cup related on Digg or Reddit so far, but they may have to wait until more matches happen. One thing is for sure, people are excited about it starting.

I've spotted a potential phenomenon coming from the 2010 World Cup :

In South Africa, supporters can use what look like trumpets, which are called Vuvuzela in order to "make noise". But, it also has a kind of annoying and irritating sound.

There is already a South African website where you can play it and see how long you can last :
http://www.spitorswallow.co.za/blowme.php

I've also seen some pictures from it and a good amount of Internet comments about the disturbance.

Do you think there could be any ongoing potential with it ?

oh definitely potential, tomberry. also noticed the extremely loud buzz/drone, i imagine it's a big handicap for all the players too. will keep on the look out.

It has been submitted here

It seems to be exploding like crazy. The British were favorite in that match and to see the Americans playing well a sport they, by the rest of the world's prejudiced view, are not considered to be usually excelling in, seems to have hit a chord on US websites.

And striken a blow on UK ones :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup-2010/teams/england/7823797/World-Cup-2010-Bob-Wilson-says-Robert-Green-goal-blunder-a-howler.html

As far as I understood, the 1-1 score can't be entirely blamed on the goalkeeper alone, but Green's mistake had an huge impact on the public.
I'm waiting to see if the 4chan's trend as described in the entry will be carried over to other websites (as a manner similar to Kanye's interrupt).

Last edited Jun 13, 2010 at 01:23AM EDT

Well, I don't know if this can be considered a soccer meme (much less really a meme) but, currently on Twitter in the top of trend topics of world is CALA BOCA GALVAO. Some people think galvao is a bird in extinction and the Twits will support some bird foundation of galvao birds, or a new song of Lady GaGa about brazillian birds.
But what many don't know is that "Galvao" is actually a sports commentator in Brazil (of soccer games obvious) called Galvão Bueno and is the most hated sports commentarists in Brazil, and "Cala boca Galvao" true meaning "Shut up Galvao".

I don't know of one great meme that has come out of this yet, but so far Something Awful has had some pretty funny World Cup conversation, with a few images.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3315371&pagenumber=7&perpage=40#post378128158

These are just a few

All of them are from /mu/
There is also like 10 threads concerning them I've seen.

Last edited Jun 13, 2010 at 03:51PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!