Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

Titanic meme in the works

Last posted Aug 11, 2010 at 10:51AM EDT. Added Aug 10, 2010 at 11:04PM EDT
6 posts from 5 users

hello gents and ladies,

possibly a new meme in the works. doing a titanic theme, and I'm going to see what comes up. I'd love for you all to participate. I'm starting with a twitter personality and then going from there.

I've posted it on digg. Please, digg the article, and I'd love for you to follow me in my shenanigans.

http://digg.com/comedy/Captain_of_RMS_Titanic_set_sails_on_Twitter

I appreciate your response.

Titanic has been, arguably, a meme in the past. Fail boat, many GMod machinimas of the Titanic scene, and obviously loads of people have turne the "I'm flying jack" scene on it's head.

It's just something I'm trying out. I'm sure many others in this forum have created, or at least tried to create [or consolidate in my case] a meme. Hope yall join in!

Edit

Moving thread to a different section. Thanks again

Last edited Aug 10, 2010 at 11:25PM EDT

Hey there,

It looks like you're trying to create your own meme.

Know Your Meme is actually a site for documenting existing internet phenomena, and examining how and why they grow like they do. It's sort of a field manual to Internet memes in the wild.

The meme database is for documentation but is not a promotional tool.

For what you're trying to do, you might want to try submitting your creations to Buzzfeed, Digg, Reddit, or spreading them through whatever online communities you frequent.

Your Titanic Twitter account could amount to something, but trying to jump-start it within the KYM community is just not something that we do.

In regard to documenting the Titanic as a meme:

The titanic is a meme, sure, but calling it an internet phenomenon would be a huge oversight.

The sinking of the titanic, its media coverage throughout history, all of fiction that has referenced it, and the way that the word has become an aphorism for monumental failures are all things that occurred before the internet.

@omgbbq – doing an image search on "im flying jack" shows a photos of people recreating the scene, so I think you're onto something. Recreating a famous scene is definately a type of meme, as evidenced by roller coaster chess. The question you need to answer is whether "I'm flying jack" has been spread on the net so much that inspiration for doing it comes more from encounters with it on image boards and the like, than from individuals independently copying the scene from the movie without being influenced by other like minded individuals on the net. After-all, this is an archive for internet meme archive after all, not a photo-cliche archive.

Internet meme website: http://cheezburger.com/TemplateView.aspx?tiid=316442

Photo cliche website: http://www.photocliches.com/2008/12/im-flying-jack-im-really-flying.html

Last edited Aug 11, 2010 at 01:10AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!