Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

Editor Request for Deadpooled Entries

Last posted Sep 02, 2010 at 02:55AM EDT. Added Aug 31, 2010 at 08:01PM EDT
13 posts from 10 users

We need to bring some of the entries from deadpool to submissions at least, methinks. I just finished editing "You Get Nothing! You Lose! Good Day, Sir!", the Willy Wonka meme, and I think it is good enough to be in the submissions spot.

I'm not usually one to request memes to be confirmed or deadpooled.

But I personally think these should be undeadpooled:

Susan Boyle
End of the World
Happy Tree Friends

Pretty controversial list, and no one's going to agree with me, but here are my justifications.

First off, I define memes as a piece of information that is passed along to another person, and then consciously imitated. However, I define notable memes as those that "impact" internet culture in some way (inspired by something Chris Menning told me before). For example, viral videos are technically memes because I send the hyperlink of a video to someone, and they pass that idea to someone else, and so on. But most viral videos aren't notable because there are so many of them.

So what makes a meme have "impact" is its internet context.

Susan Boyle = Jesus Christ Its a viral spread, holy crap.
End of the World = Viral Video at a time when viral videos were rare
Happy Tree Friends = Infamous. Yes, video series (like Smosh and DerrickComedy) may be just as popular/famous, but Happy Tree Friends is absolutely notorious for good reason. Definitely important.

TL;DR But whatever. People never read my tl;dr stuff >.>

Last edited Sep 01, 2010 at 12:30AM EDT

@Christope Le Proxente yes, I think that is a great idea! Great job!

@Ogreenworld I agree with you on two out of the three. Susan Boyle is one that I actually think deserves an episode, and the End Of The World was a viral success….gonna say no on the Happy tree friends due to the fact that it is just a popular video series, and if it's resureccted, we need to merge it with the Dr. Tran deadpooled meme, due to them being so closely related.

More Memes that need to be looked at and reaserched alot more, due to potential:

Dragons Having Sex With Cars
Burn His House, Beat His Mother
You Dare Not Agree With…?
Dr. Tran
The Weighted Companion Cube
I'M SO FUCKING STONED
Objection!

Another conteversial list?! Immposible!

How about we also use this thread for the opposite reason, moving memes which should be deadpooled out of sumbissions, to clear it up a bit?

eg. Drew pickles gay.

This has two entries, this one is the less informative version of the two, and is the one that isn't in deadpool. Not to say the other should be moved back to submissions, but Drew pickles aint a meme.

Last edited Sep 01, 2010 at 03:46PM EDT

Also, we have a lot of submissions. Over 50 pages worth. We need to have another area like deadpool, but not. Our meme-mods need to get their buts in gear and deadpool all the crap and confirm all the memes.
As for the other section, it can be a sort of midway point, after a certain amount of time in submissions, it'll go to this new section. People can then vote on what they want to go back into submissions and the mods will be forced to make a choice.

Also, let's get this confimed, Cap't Blubs and I worked hard https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/x-made-mikuru-cry

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!