Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

Post-Memeism

Last posted Oct 27, 2010 at 05:32PM EDT. Added Oct 27, 2010 at 03:57PM EDT
3 posts from 3 users

Is it possible that we will enter an age where memes will be created so fast that no one can really keep up. There will be so many memes that we will become just as alone and alien in cyberspace just as we are in real life. If memes become to heavily analyzed and if their significance and impact on society increases then not only will this lead to an increase in the number of forced memes but all the symbolism that memes provide will be totally confused.

Memes are a kind of language but new memes are constantly being created, one could never have a meme dictionary, for as soon as it would be published, it would be out of date.

I believe, As time goes by and the population of the internet increases we will soon begin to find that the forums and networks that purge human loneliness and emptiness will lose their purging abilities and the internet will simply be a mirror of the alienation of real life…this will be the age of 'Post-Memeism': no one will know anything.

Is it possible that we will enter an age where memes will be created so fast that no one can really keep up.

Possibly, that's why we only get excited at phenomena that are interesting, entertaining, or otherwise notable. Before YouTube, any video with a million views was incredible. Even at the beginning of Youtube, I remember a time when Smosh had 20,000 subscribers and were the second most subscribed next to Lonelygirl15.

Now, that is no longer considered to be notable because of YouTube's rapid growth, but that doesn't mean there are no more notable phenomena- as in Antoine Dodson- which received a lot of user participation and news coverage.

There will be so many memes that we will become just as alone and alien in cyberspace just as we are in real life.

If you connect with your memes on an intimate level beyond entertainment and nostalgia, then you are probably connected with the internet on an intimate level as well. If this is true, then you are probably feel connected to some sort of internet community or group of friends on the internet (for some people, their favorite community is a website that produces memes). It's impossible to know every meme, so I suspect that most people are worried about the memes popular with their own particular online community. If you can keep up with this community, then you'll be fine. Others cannot keep up or dislike the direction that the community is taking. Then you have a choice of leaving or staying, a decision most dedicated users have to make eventually.

If memes become to heavily analyzed and if their significance and impact on society increases then not only will this lead to an increase in the number of forced memes but all the symbolism that memes provide will be totally confused.

Yep. If a psychologist analyzes people and wants to publish their results, they have the understanding that what they publish will change society as a whole, and that future observations may not be the same as a result of the study's publication. In other words, people cannot research without affecting the system itself.

Going back to the psychologist analogy, we hope that something can be gained from the study, although part of the mystery of the mind will be gone- and ways to manipulate the mind will be discovered. Similarly, we hope something useful about memes can be discovered, but as a result some of the mystery (the "symbolism" you referred to) will be gone, and ways to manipulate the creation of memes will also be inevitably discovered.

Memes are a kind of language but new memes are constantly being created, one could never have a meme dictionary, for as soon as it would be published, it would be out of date.

Answered in my response to your first sentence.

I believe, As time goes by and the population of the internet increases we will soon begin to find that the forums and networks that purge human loneliness and emptiness will lose their purging abilities and the internet will simply be a mirror of the alienation of real life…this will be the age of ‘Post-Memeism’: no one will know anything.

This is true. As the internet community grows, in many ways it mirrors IRL life. And as I said, this is why people often move on to new communities. I personally spent two years on a website I loved, but I eventually felt alienated by new users, new jokes, and new everything. It was too much like the alienation I felt IRL. That's why I left, and joined other communities.

Such is the way of the internet. If you try to make the internet an escape from real life, you have to decide if you feel lonely or fulfilled on the internet.

Last edited Oct 27, 2010 at 04:41PM EDT

One day Politicians will be on the news for being EX-/b/tards.

Also its insane how fast the internet develops, and grows.

Last edited Oct 27, 2010 at 05:32PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!