Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

"I own a horse."

Last posted Mar 17, 2011 at 10:15AM EDT. Added Jan 11, 2011 at 08:49PM EST
38 posts from 25 users

PwNeDoScAr wrote:

Try the 4Chumblr entry.
I haven't heard of the horse thing, but apparently the air question has something to do with it.

I didn't see anything about it in there. I saw one image that happened to say "What is air?" but no text and the image didn't explain anything.
I'm not only curious as to what the horse thing is but also why no one will tell me. If i don't learn soon I will have to go on an uncontrollable rampage.

colonel sanders wrote:

I didn't see anything about it in there. I saw one image that happened to say "What is air?" but no text and the image didn't explain anything.
I'm not only curious as to what the horse thing is but also why no one will tell me. If i don't learn soon I will have to go on an uncontrollable rampage.

Well, I don't know what the horse thing specifically means.
However, the "What is air?" was an attempt by tumblr to troll 4Chan with retarded questions.

colonel sanders wrote:

Let's just face it; the internet will forever be divided into people who don't understand it and people who do and never the twain shall meet. (did I use that term right?)

I'm honestly not sure. You don't hear that phrase all that often, nowadays.
But why the division? I'm sure that if someone came along and say, made a good article there would be more people in the know.

I think it's some sort of trolling technique. I think it's to make fun of bragging when someone else on the internet does it too:

Related:

http://artoftrolling.memebase.com/search/?lijit_q=a+horse

PwNeDoScAr wrote:

I'm honestly not sure. You don't hear that phrase all that often, nowadays.
But why the division? I'm sure that if someone came along and say, made a good article there would be more people in the know.

No one ill make an artilce for it because everyone who understands it will not explain it. Have you seen how many "I own a horse" questions there are on yahoo answers and not one answer.

If I'm correct it's the equivalent of the ultimate trump card. "You think you're awesome – well I own a horse. Isn't my horse amazing?"

It is unlike the standard "meme" in the respect that it does not directly correlate to a single reference but a general topic. The "I'm on a horse" meme from Old Spice, the HP comixed image above, the "Amazing Horse" video and "Horse Outside" songs and images all combined to create this meme rather than something directly related to one specific post or video (think – "…Gingers have souls!").

On a deeper level – with a world full of technology and "progress," a horse is looked at as something not only iconic but as something always dependable and reliable without a need for modern advances. Still today as it always has been – a horse is a status symbol. Sure you may have a nice car and fancy house but at the end of the day – I own a horse :)

This is a super short summation and I probably read too much into it but after looking around and doing some research I figured it needed to be said :) Hopefully I cleared things up a bit.

Once upon a time, on omegle chats, a troll wrote 'I own a horse'. Surprisingly, his chat partner would disconnect. He reported it on artoftrolling.memebase.com. Others would try it and each time they wrote 'I own a horse', their chat partner disconnected. Hence the meme.

I think Obscura is right. We (mostly me) have been thinking about it too much. I never understood why people disconnected from omegle just from seeing that phrase, but when I think about it, it makes sense. Most people use that site as a dating site if you know what I mean so when they see "I own a horse" they know it's someone they aren't interested in.

Don't know how it works or why or i dont even, but when someone say "i own a horse" the other person leaves the conversation / disconnects.

also it doesn't need to be fully written, it works backwards and it works like this to:

moar here http://artoftrolling.memebase.com/category/omegle/

colonel sanders wrote:

No one ill make an artilce for it because everyone who understands it will not explain it. Have you seen how many "I own a horse" questions there are on yahoo answers and not one answer.

No, because I don't go to Yahoo Answers.
Full of trolls, idiots, and trolls posing as idiots.

Hmm it may also have to do with a certain facebookgroup called "Vi som hatar dom som ljuger om att dom har hest för att få kompisar!" which translates to "we who hate those who lie about owning a horse to gain friends" which got about 20k members

I think i got it, if no one on yahoo answers knows and u cant find it on the internet that means that almost no one knows about it so the ppl in omegle just disconnect cause it doesnt make sense, like obscura said that pass from troll to troll and it went famous, so i guess it doesnt mean anything, even most trolls doesnt know the meaning, so its like writting something senseless like "i like turtles" most ppl will disconnect, it is not a deep philosophical phrase is just something stupid and annoying…
By the way i do like turtles :D

troll.it.troll wrote:

I think i got it, if no one on yahoo answers knows and u cant find it on the internet that means that almost no one knows about it so the ppl in omegle just disconnect cause it doesnt make sense, like obscura said that pass from troll to troll and it went famous, so i guess it doesnt mean anything, even most trolls doesnt know the meaning, so its like writting something senseless like "i like turtles" most ppl will disconnect, it is not a deep philosophical phrase is just something stupid and annoying…
By the way i do like turtles :D

A much better way of wording it than me.
But one thing. A lot (and by that I mean probably a third) of the answers to this question on yahoo answers were "It's a lie from a liar." Do you think those people misunderstood the question because I don't think it was as simple as them meaning people who say "I have a horse" are lying about it. A lot of people said those exact words.

Last edited Jan 28, 2011 at 08:36PM EST

I havent found much information on where this meme originated from. As far as i know from what my friends have told me, it is another meaning for ''I am lonely'' [couldnt find another way of saying that]
it is also something you would say to look stupid or irritating… and get others to disconnect from you :P
- The easy way out -

Using this "meme" is a good method to identify fellow Internet Dwellers. Sadly, they disconncet afterwards, so it isn't practical.

Lol.

I know its secrets.

It was orignally used as a legitimate reason by a mormon to explain his proper authority to explain how magnets work. Best of my recollection:

"I know how magnets work. I'm a mormon, and I own a horse."

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!