Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,809 total conversations in 4,530 threads

+ New Thread

Raisins/ OMG/ Oh Crap Rage comic/ Super ffuuuuu- Origins

Last posted Jun 17, 2011 at 07:53AM EDT. Added Jun 11, 2011 at 12:51AM EDT
15 posts from 9 users

Hi,
I need help on finding the origins of the Super ffuuuuu-/ omg rage face guy. The link to the page can be found here:

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/oh-crap-omg-rage-face

Fortunately, I can embed photos, and this is the origin photo of the face:

Any Idea who made this and where it came from?

Also, if you have a better name for this (I just listed all of the names I've heard as the title) please tell me, because "OMG Rage Face" just doesn't seem to fit it.
Thanks!

P.S. Make sure to tell people about this meme, it's really popular, but since people don't know what to call it, they can't find it.

Last edited Jun 15, 2011 at 11:21AM EDT

According to the Reddit timeline of rageface origins this is the actual origin of that face. If I had to make a guess, I would also agree with that, as the rest of the comic matches the style of the face. The date it was posted is unknown on the timeline, though.

Also, for more proof of that as the origin as opposed to the Raisins comic, this one contains more of the face, while the raisins one has less.

I look at rage comics too much.

Last edited Jun 11, 2011 at 10:21PM EDT

Its kind of Funny. Reddit has contributed to spread and evolution of rage comics in a big way, yet even they don't seem to know what to call that face.

This thread hit the front page yesterday: Rage Face Evolved.

The new design came from an artist named Sam Pratt. Here's his blog.
The thing is, Redditors were quick to point out that that's not THE Rage Guy face, but no one is sure what to call it.

Here's what Sam Spratt put on his Tumblr:

I am of the belief that the internet is meant to be destroyed by people like me, but apparently there is some dispute over what the “FFFFUUUU” face is actually called as well as subsequent meme faces. Would you, my lovely tumblrizers--so kindly educate me on the scientific names of the various “meme faces” (rage face, troll face, etc.) in the event that I do more?

So basically, the internet is waiting to find out the answer. Who will provide it?

Who will provide it? I guess whoever talks about it the most and has a lot of influence. Since that's the kind of thing we do a lot (or should do), I we could come up with our own name for the sake of conversation and record-keeping here, but I would like to avoid influencing the direction that the meme may take. Which is tough.

It's pretty interesting that there's been no "official" title given to many of the faces. When making the matrix-of-rage infographic, I was a little surprised that many of the rage makers didn't have them labelled so much as organized by general emotion (angry faces, laughing/trolling faces, etc). I guess it kind of makes sense, as the faces are more often used as visual shorthands for emotions, rather than as images unto themselves.

Last edited Jun 12, 2011 at 06:58PM EDT

@Olivia G.
THAT'S a great Idea!!! How should we go about naming it? Should I start a discussion thread to come up with possible names? What staff members should I contact for name suggestions? I think we could make an official name for it. Is there a way we could make a poll for KYM members to vote for a name?

@Garlic
I looked for a get thread, but I couldn't find one for the exact same reason

@Jack
Hahaha, that's not actually a bad name, if we can get a poll going, i'll make it one of the options.

Power, No Limits wrote:

@Olivia G.
THAT'S a great Idea!!! How should we go about naming it? Should I start a discussion thread to come up with possible names? What staff members should I contact for name suggestions? I think we could make an official name for it. Is there a way we could make a poll for KYM members to vote for a name?

@Garlic
I looked for a get thread, but I couldn't find one for the exact same reason

@Jack
Hahaha, that's not actually a bad name, if we can get a poll going, i'll make it one of the options.

I would disagree with a poll because it goes against the idea of our website being a documenting website, as we would be taking part in the creation and propagation of a meme. I think what we should do is go to the websites we've associated with it, (I'd use Reddit personally) and try to find out through the comics what it is called.

It's referred to as OMG or Oh Crap on the Reddit rageface code, that's what I suggest it remains.

Err, if we were to come up with our own names, I think we should keep them as simple and universal as possible. Preferably something that describes the emotion or context that they're frequently used in, to keep the names as neutral as possible.

But that should be used with extreme discretion. If we can, we should try and find any name used ever for the faces and go with those. Our entries can have more than one name--so this one could be listed as, say, "Raisins/Angry Revelation/Lip Biting Rage Face," if all of those names made sense and were recognized. (Of course, I just made those up. :B )

Even if there was a GET for the face, it doesn't seem like whatever name was chosen has really taken off. Would it still be useful?

Edit: Yay! Chris found a name somewhere. :D

Last edited Jun 12, 2011 at 08:16PM EDT

@Chris
Thank you so much. I thought "OMG/ Oh Crap Rage face" was just the name the editors gave to it, but since it's on that page, I guess we can keep calling it that. Though, I do I wish it had an easier name.

@Everyone
Thanks for your help on this thread! Now to get editing!

I gave that entry the title "Oh Crap / OMG Rage Face" for the exact reason Abra laid out. Previously it was something like "Super FFUUUU", which I couldn't find anywhere else.

Apparently a number of people are calling it "Raisin Face" which I don't think to be unreasonable even if the "raisins" image was not the original. Things like that happen all the time IRL, such as how Pascal's Triangle was invented long before Pascal.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!