Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

25,001 total conversations in 3,417 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
Angry Birds

Last posted Jul 18, 2011 at 06:51PM EDT. Added Jun 11, 2011 at 11:01PM EDT
42 posts from 21 users

Angry Birds is a very popular iPhone/iPod Touch game. I’ve seen a lot of material on various sites relating to it, and I think it could possibly be a meme. Let’s discuss!

Jun 11, 2011 at 11:01PM EDT

Angry Birds has enough memetic potential and enough exposure on the internet, that I think it wouldn’t hurt at all to make an article on it. I would gladly help with it :)

Jun 11, 2011 at 11:40PM EDT

it will never be a meme.there s no way.i think

Jun 12, 2011 at 03:57AM EDT

nia wrote:

it will never be a meme.there s no way.i think

^Troll

Jun 12, 2011 at 02:04PM EDT

I say, go for it!

Jun 12, 2011 at 02:08PM EDT

I think that Angry Birds is something people are expressing in a lot of memes, but Angry Birds itself isn’t really a meme.
Unless Mario is also a meme. And Halo. And Portal, TF2, Left 4 Dead, Minecrat, and pretty much every video game that inspires fan-creations.

Jun 12, 2011 at 02:56PM EDT

Actually, all of those games (Except for Left 4 Dead) Actually have very good reasons to become memes.

Jun 12, 2011 at 03:00PM EDT
This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

Make all of them.
Then make entries for every song ever to hit the billboard hot 100 chart.
Then make entries for every Monty Python movie and every line from every Monty Python movie.
Then make entries for every summer blockbuster in the last 10 years, just to start.
Hi mom. I’m on the internet herping my derp.

Jun 12, 2011 at 03:15PM EDT

Garlic, would you mind saying something for once that doesn’t make me wanna slap you?

As for Angry Birds as a meme, I’d say it’s sort of on the fence, but I’m leaning towards no. I mean, the internet has definitely played a big part in it’s success, but I don’t think it’s got enough notableness to count as an actual meme.

Last edited Jun 12, 2011 at 03:26PM EDT
Jun 12, 2011 at 03:25PM EDT

DrPepperfan, thanks for your honest assessment of why making a meme entry for a video game is a troublesome task. That’s the outcome I was hoping for.

Although I think that “wanna slap you” comment was a little un-called for. Trolls gonna troll. Deal with it.

Jun 12, 2011 at 03:32PM EDT

Joaquin Phoenix wrote:

Make all of them.
Then make entries for every song ever to hit the billboard hot 100 chart.
Then make entries for every Monty Python movie and every line from every Monty Python movie.
Then make entries for every summer blockbuster in the last 10 years, just to start.
Hi mom. I’m on the internet herping my derp.

Garlic, you made an article about dropping your phone on your face when texting laying down. That’s even less of a meme. Seriously, that’s like making a meme about stubbing your toe while walking to the bathroom in the dark. You are in no position to judge.

As for the matter at hand, I don’t think Angry Birds is a meme persay. It should probably be categorized as subculture (maybe? I don’t like the word “subculture” it just sounds odd.)

Jun 12, 2011 at 03:33PM EDT

Joaquin Phoenix wrote:

Prove to me how it’s less of a meme. What puts you in the position to judge?

It’s usually only used in Rage comics.

It is an act that happens often, but hasn’t gone all over the internet.

There is no fan art for it.

There is no fan base for it.

It is not an event, meme, person, subculture.

Now, for Angry Birds:

It is mentioned everywhere.

It is played millions of times a week, and is all over the internet.

There is fan art for it.

There is a fan base for it.

It is a meme and a subculture.

Garlic, I really do like you, but please don’t attack people’s opinions like you’re doing, it’s not a nice thing to do.

Jun 12, 2011 at 04:58PM EDT

Piano wrote:

It’s usually only used in Rage comics.

It is an act that happens often, but hasn’t gone all over the internet.

There is no fan art for it.

There is no fan base for it.

It is not an event, meme, person, subculture.

Now, for Angry Birds:

It is mentioned everywhere.

It is played millions of times a week, and is all over the internet.

There is fan art for it.

There is a fan base for it.

It is a meme and a subculture.

Garlic, I really do like you, but please don’t attack people’s opinions like you’re doing, it’s not a nice thing to do.

You know what, let’s keep the phone face discussion over in that thread. I’ll refute your points with evidence from the meme entry, but lets keep this thread to Angry Birds and video games.

As for Angry Birds, it’s definitely a hugely popular piece of media with lots of fan art. And the same can be said about hundreds of video games, tv shows, movies, and pop songs that come out every year. So I wonder (again, I’m not arguing for or against) is there something about Angry Birds that makes it more deserving of a meme entry than Minecraft or other video games?

Last edited Jun 12, 2011 at 05:15PM EDT
Jun 12, 2011 at 05:14PM EDT

Minecraft in and of itself maybe not, but Creepers at least are a confirmed meme http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/minecraft-creeper

Jun 12, 2011 at 05:28PM EDT

thatryanguy wrote:

Minecraft in and of itself maybe not, but Creepers at least are a confirmed meme http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/minecraft-creeper

Yes, and I agree that Creepers have become a meme. I’ve talked to a lot of people who have never played Minecraft but they usually say, “oh, is that the thing with those creepers that blow everything up?”
Knowledge of the Creeprs seems like it has exceeded those who actually play the game, similar to how The Cake Is A Lie exceeded the reach of those who play Portal.

Is there anything from Angry Birds that’s similar? If so, then that thing, whatever it is, should probably get a meme entry, in my opinion.

Jun 12, 2011 at 06:03PM EDT

Joaquin Phoenix wrote:

Yes, and I agree that Creepers have become a meme. I’ve talked to a lot of people who have never played Minecraft but they usually say, “oh, is that the thing with those creepers that blow everything up?”
Knowledge of the Creeprs seems like it has exceeded those who actually play the game, similar to how The Cake Is A Lie exceeded the reach of those who play Portal.

Is there anything from Angry Birds that’s similar? If so, then that thing, whatever it is, should probably get a meme entry, in my opinion.

Not that I’ve personally seen, but then I wouldn’t personally agree with Angry Birds being a meme.

I wonder if there’s some kind of connection there..

Jun 12, 2011 at 06:33PM EDT

Piano wrote:

Also, should I make the entry?

I’d be nice if you could. I was gonna, but I’ve never made an entry and I have no idea how HTML works. It’s the curse of being a coding newfag. If you do make one, would you mind adding me as an editor, seeing as I first brought up the subject?

Jun 13, 2011 at 10:41PM EDT

Questionable meme status but is definitely something I could see showing up in a vh1 style countdown.

Article/Entry? Yes.
Meme? No.

Jun 16, 2011 at 02:27AM EDT

OK…….. so let’s stop pelting the trolls and go into research and find some fan vids or others related to Angry Birds.

We have the Angry Birds Peace Treaty with over 7 million views, uploaded 2010-11-21:

Someone made a Angry Birds Cake, gaining over 5 million views, uploaded 2011-02-20:

Then have the “Movie” trailer, with over 6 million veiws, uploaded 2011-03-26:

The Key of Awesome made a parody based on Adele’s “Rolling in the Deep”, 1 million views, uploaded 2011-04-25:

Last week, T Mobile made another commercial, almost 5 million views:

And that’s just counting the ones that gained more than millions.

Jun 16, 2011 at 08:53AM EDT

Don’t get me wrong (but for now) Angry Birds is not meme.
A meme is an idea, behavior or style that spreads from person to person within a culture

Needs more lolz and Spread to be a meme

Angry Birds (for now) is just a game

IMO

Jun 16, 2011 at 10:43AM EDT

Angry Birds is a video game, not a meme. Being well-known on the internet does not make it a meme. By that logic, we could say that Mario is a meme. Or Zelda or Kirby. Do you see where I’m getting at?

Also, you made an article with nothing in it. DO NOT do that. Gather information before you post an entry, that will get you on the fast lane to deadpool.

Last edited Jun 16, 2011 at 12:48PM EDT
Jun 16, 2011 at 12:46PM EDT

Alright, I’m adding info to the article.

Jun 16, 2011 at 01:54PM EDT

The article looks fantastic! I have an addition: Conan O’Brian does a lot of Angry Birds stuff on his show, especially since he is the Golden God of Finland.

Skip to 1:15.

Last edited Jun 16, 2011 at 07:12PM EDT
Jun 16, 2011 at 07:11PM EDT

Yes us three have done a good job on the Angry Bird entry but we need more derivatives and spread.

Last edited Jun 16, 2011 at 07:21PM EDT
Jun 16, 2011 at 07:16PM EDT

Shakey♪ wrote:

Yes us three have done a good job on the Angry Bird entry but we need more derivatives and spread.

Four. I added Mister J because of the videos he posted.

Jun 16, 2011 at 07:37PM EDT

Fridge wrote:

Four. I added Mister J because of the videos he posted.

Thanks. And, someone posted a music cover on top.

Should we add a section of it? The music is nice, but I’m not sure if it is worth adding another section……

Jun 17, 2011 at 09:14PM EDT

Philip J. Fry wrote:

Angry Birds is a video game, not a meme. Being well-known on the internet does not make it a meme. By that logic, we could say that Mario is a meme. Or Zelda or Kirby. Do you see where I’m getting at?

Also, you made an article with nothing in it. DO NOT do that. Gather information before you post an entry, that will get you on the fast lane to deadpool.

actually i believe that Angry Birds could be treated in the same way that the advice dog is treated (and the pokeparents, even creepers were treated the same way and link is used sometimes too [E.G: Running is too slow… go and run backwards] should i mention the space core too?)
so it can be a meme in my point of view.

Last edited Jun 18, 2011 at 01:05AM EDT
Jun 18, 2011 at 01:03AM EDT

This might be of some help… I’m a magician and look what’s the hot new product on the magical market…
http://www.alakazam.co.uk/product-Angry-Sponge-Set.html
that’s what I call spreading…

Jun 18, 2011 at 05:33AM EDT

I think it would be a mistake to not record some of the memetic stuff around Angry Birds.
It’s a huge pop culture phenomenon. It’s one of the best-selling iPhone games of the year, so it’s kind of natural to expect that people would make reference to it in other art forms.

Plus, I think we’re way passed the point of differentiating between pop culture and internet culture now.

And I hear what people are saying about this making Mario and Kirby memes too. This would set a precedent by which they would be considered memes as well. But I think they are memes. They’re huge pop culture phenomena that came before the web, and have mutated incredibly on the web. We’ve seen so many more weird and strange recontextualizations of Mario thanks to the web.

Jun 18, 2011 at 11:48AM EDT

Chris Menning wrote:

I think it would be a mistake to not record some of the memetic stuff around Angry Birds.
It’s a huge pop culture phenomenon. It’s one of the best-selling iPhone games of the year, so it’s kind of natural to expect that people would make reference to it in other art forms.

Plus, I think we’re way passed the point of differentiating between pop culture and internet culture now.

And I hear what people are saying about this making Mario and Kirby memes too. This would set a precedent by which they would be considered memes as well. But I think they are memes. They’re huge pop culture phenomena that came before the web, and have mutated incredibly on the web. We’ve seen so many more weird and strange recontextualizations of Mario thanks to the web.

Based on this, should we perhaps make pages based on other entertainment franchises?
I think one thing that we might need is a page on Pokemon. It has quite a few submemes, and having a page to encompass the internet’s Pokemon fixation.

Jun 18, 2011 at 12:33PM EDT

Can we fix the videos on the page so that they agree with KYM Entry Style?

Jun 18, 2011 at 10:58PM EDT

Dontmess withme has A nine word name wrote:

i finally beat all available levels.
ill be waiting for the update noaw.

Why would you revive a dead thread to brag about beating the game?
Also, you look exactly how I pictured you in my head.

Jul 18, 2011 at 06:51PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!