Forums / Media / Moving Images

18,567 total conversations in 823 threads

+ New Thread

Guilty Pleasures: Shows & Films

Last posted Aug 24, 2014 at 06:11PM EDT. Added Aug 19, 2014 at 04:32PM EDT
17 posts from 17 users

What shows or movies, or even genres, do you like that you are embarrassed about?

Also, if you are one of those people with the whole “don’t be ashamed of what you like” philosophies, that’s cool and all but that’s not the point of the thread.

Final Destination. Let's face it: the premise is awesome, especially the new twists they throw in (infant immortality in 2, killing someone to take their lifespan in 5,) and even if it wasn't, the death scenes, especially the opening disasters, are gems.

Transformers 4, Pacific Rim, and Godzilla 2014 are all guilty pleasures of mine that are recent. Out of the first three steaming heaps of garbage known as the Michael Bay Transformers Trilogy, I actually sort of enjoyed the fourth one in comparison. The humans weren't very compelling or anything but at least they didn't make me cringe non-stop with their awkward crap. For Pacific Rim, it was stupid as hell, but after hearing all the positive reception for it I feel a little less guilty. For Godzilla, kind of self-explanatory.

I actually like the films that Roland Emmerich created (Independence Day is my all time favorite movie ever)

The transformers films, i also sorta kinda liked Gundam Seed. (but Destiny is a no go in my opinion)

Last edited Aug 19, 2014 at 05:20PM EDT

I don't tell a lot of people about Adventure Time. Only very close friends.

People find it too "childish", "wierd", and "random". Also "gay". Uh, what? That one I don't understand.

Well you have to watch a show to actually know what it's about, and maybe it's not everyone's cup of tea, but absolutely love it.

I'm a huge low budget movie buff and have actually watched the majority of the works of, in my opinion, the big three kings of low budget, Roger Corman (Death Race 2000), Charles Band (Puppet Master), and Lloyd Kaufman (The Toxic Avenger). I really enjoy seeing all of the tricks that go into low budget films and find me actually liking the way they use a lot of cool practical effects, compared to the CGI that gets overused now. If I could list a guilty pleasure show, it would more than likely be any English dubbed anime I only watch because Monica Rial was in it and no other reason other than that. I am willing to admit that I've watched series like Rosario + Vampire, which I actually kinda ended up liking, Maken Ki, and Hello Kitty's Animation Theater solely for the reason of hearing the voice of that woman. I can't get enough of her overly adorable voice.

Last edited Aug 19, 2014 at 05:56PM EDT

Being a Brony is one thing, it's become a bit squeamish nowadays to say I'm into the the show but more or less I still can. Barbie however… is a totally different thing. I'm not super into it but I do think it's a real funny show. It's got continuation to boot with a growing cast of characters and I can dig that.

Mmmhhhh……I could call Bay-formers some kind of Guilty pleasure but I know other people who like them. I know they're not perfect films but come on! Its not like G1 had awakard and stupid characters or moments. Besides, every Transformers story is different and everyone needs to be a G1 re-story to be good. Exibit A: Beast Wars, Unicron Trilogy (Armada-Energon-Cybertron), Prime, etc.

Now, one guilty pleasure I have its Van Helsing. Here in Argentina except me and my Dad thinks this movie sucks in every aspect ( which most of them think the Dawn films are good :/). I just love how they made Dracula and the Frankestein monster.

Well now I have to post this.

Fitting, considering that the Nostalgia Critic and other such internet shows can occasionally be guilty pleasures when they break out the really immature jokes. Ah but hell, I still laugh at 'em.

I liked the Daredevil movie. I first saw it in one of my local video game stores (they had a DVD area, too) for about two pounds (which is about $3) and I decided to add it to my Marvel collection despite it not sharing the continuity like Iron Man, Thor and Captain America.

2012: Stupid scenario, but the disaster scenes, especially the destruction of Los Angeles, are so epic!
Armageddon: Tons of horrible scientific inaccuracies and stupid scenario again, but fantastic visual effects and magnificent music!

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!