Forums / Media / Moving Images

18,567 total conversations in 823 threads

+ New Thread

This is actually the greatest picture I've ever seen

Last posted Aug 22, 2014 at 07:21AM EDT. Added Aug 22, 2014 at 12:13AM EDT
3 posts from 3 users

We've all seen Darth Vader unmasked in Return of the Jedi, but this picture tells an entirely different story.

That's the late Bob Anderson. He was one of the greatest fencing experts of the last century, and choreographed swordfighting scenes for dozens of films. Here, we see him serving as a stunt double on the set of The Empire Strikes Back.

What's really fantastic about this picture isn't the behind-the-scenes aspect about it, although that is one component. Although clearly just taking a break in between shots, Anderson's pose, his downward gaze, the costume, and the smoke rising to cover his feet all combine to tell an entirely different story, perhaps of an elder lord protecting his dominion, or a sellsword past his prime about to fight a final battle. I don't use the word "epic" all too often but I think this picture fits the bill.

The fight scene between Vader and Luke, father and son, good and evil, light and dark, was one of the most memorable scenes of The Empire Strikes Back. It showed Vader as a true enforcer and will of the dark side, Luke desperate yet determined to save his friends and stop Vader. It displayed raw power, emotion, and sheer force and willpower. You became a student of the force. You became Luke, mystified by Yoda's teachings, shaken by the struggle of what he had learned. Luke transformed that fight, the truth collapsed his understanding of what was right, what Obi-Wan had told him, what he believed. The suspension, the climax, the ending. We saw our heroes at their darkest hour, at their lowest and most vulnerable state, yet hope prevailed.

That is why I love Star Wars.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!