Forums / Media / Moving Images

18,567 total conversations in 823 threads

+ New Thread

GOOD Video Game Movies

Last posted Oct 28, 2014 at 11:27AM EDT. Added Oct 26, 2014 at 01:14AM EDT
21 posts from 14 users

So, in your opinion, what movie(s) based on video games do you think are good movies (or ok at the very least). Also, which games do you think could be pulled off as decent movies (better yet, who do you think should direct them)?

I personally thought the first Silent Hill Movie was pretty good. Admittedly I watched it before I played any of the games but I still think it holds up as it showcases SH themes and characters alongside original material all the while managing to be relatively spooky experience.

The first Mortal Kombat movie is a guilty pleasure of mine. It mostly works, in my opinion, as Mortal Kombat itself was basically a low budget supernatural martial arts movie in fighting game format. However the sequel is a complete waste of time and one of the worst films I've ever seen.

Out of all the ones I've seen, there's only been two I enjoyed. Coincidentally, they were the adaptations of two of my favorite video game series, Ace Attorney and Professor Layton

That Sonic the Hedgebog OVA from the 90s was decent enough. I haven't watched it refently enough to remember if it was good though.

Twenty-One wrote:

Out of all the ones I've seen, there's only been two I enjoyed. Coincidentally, they were the adaptations of two of my favorite video game series, Ace Attorney and Professor Layton

I didn't even know there was a prof. Layton film! I saw a lil of Ace Attorney (it was pretty good), but how's the Layton film?

Terring wrote:

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

I guess I'm the only person on Earth who enjoyed the movie…

I liked it, though I didn't enjoy how it had next to nothing from final fantasy in it.

Loquacious Leviathan wrote:

I didn't even know there was a prof. Layton film! I saw a lil of Ace Attorney (it was pretty good), but how's the Layton film?

It's actually really really good. They were going to make a movie series, but the movie didn't do very well so they scraped it, which is a shame because critics liked it. Funnily enough, the thing that I found interesting is that the movie is referenced in the final game, so it's not just standalone.

Loquacious Leviathan wrote:

Would you suggest watching it subbed or dubbed. I usually prefer dubs when available but not if the V.As are bad.

Oh dubbed, definitely dubbed. It's professor Layton, after all.

Twenty-One wrote:

Oh dubbed, definitely dubbed. It's professor Layton, after all.

I just finished watching it today, gotta say it was pretty damn good.

NintenDylan wrote:

The first Mortal Kombat movie is a guilty pleasure of mine. It mostly works, in my opinion, as Mortal Kombat itself was basically a low budget supernatural martial arts movie in fighting game format. However the sequel is a complete waste of time and one of the worst films I've ever seen.

This this this.

Man the second one sucked. When Johnny Cage dies in the first minute, you know you're in for a bumpy ride.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!