Forums / Media / Music

6,760 total conversations in 425 threads

+ New Thread

Terrible Covers Thread

Last posted Sep 25, 2014 at 05:35PM EDT. Added Aug 30, 2014 at 11:23PM EDT
22 posts from 17 users

In this thread, we'll discuss the worst covers that we've ever heard. For the sake of being able to compare the two songs, it would be best to post both songs. Since that will be the case, it would also be best if you post links instead of embeds.

I personally love both The Misfits and Snapcase. I think they're awesome bands. So you'd think that Snapcase covering The Misfits would be pretty awesome then, right? Well, that ended up not being the case. Here's the original by The Misfits and here's Snapcase's cover.

And the cover:

When I listen to a cover, Im not just looking the fact they do the song right, but also add something about the band itself. There's no point of doing a cover without some personal touches. Mastodon in this cover is just trying way to hard to sound like Metallica in this cover, and it doesn't fit at all waht they do.

For example, taking Metallica again:

Now the cover (by Vader) :

Now THIS is what I call a good cover. Why? Because its still sounds like the same song but it adds the melody,rythm and "personality" of the band that plays.

Thrash95 wrote:

And the cover:

When I listen to a cover, Im not just looking the fact they do the song right, but also add something about the band itself. There's no point of doing a cover without some personal touches. Mastodon in this cover is just trying way to hard to sound like Metallica in this cover, and it doesn't fit at all waht they do.

For example, taking Metallica again:

Now the cover (by Vader) :

Now THIS is what I call a good cover. Why? Because its still sounds like the same song but it adds the melody,rythm and "personality" of the band that plays.

If you're looking for a good cover of Orion, Rodrigo y Gabriela's is excellent, one of my favorite covers of all time.

But since this is a bad covers thread, I have to post something. Here's the video I always go for in these cases. Embedding is disabled, so here's a link.

I can't think of a cover I really hate, but there is one I'm really undecided on and that is White Zombie's cover of Black Sabbath's fantastic Children of the Grave. As Sonic Prime said earlier there isn't really a reason for a cover if it doesn't have the feel of the band that is covering the song, well Rob Zombie did just that. The problem is that it just sounds like one of White Zombie's generic tracks with Rob's "Yeah"s and stock news/movie audio (which to me all of that isn't a bad thing at all), and almost wouldn't put you in mind of Black Sabbath if you didn't have prior knowledge of it being a Black Sabbath song in the first place. That being said it's not the worst cover ever, but it's also not in my top 20 covers either.

Last edited Sep 01, 2014 at 12:17AM EDT

I have a fear of watching or listening to one second of this album, so instead I'll post the album cover and you'll see what I mean. Behold, from the 10th Circle of Hell.

The Stig(?) wrote:

Limp Bizkit. Need I say more?

These aren't terrible, they're just… polarizing. As is the case with LB themselves.

Anyway, I'm on my phone so I can't embed. But if you dare, look up Suicide Silence's cover of Alice In Chains' "Them Bones". It's… not pretty.

Jersey Jimmy wrote:

These aren't terrible, they're just… polarizing. As is the case with LB themselves.

Anyway, I'm on my phone so I can't embed. But if you dare, look up Suicide Silence's cover of Alice In Chains' "Them Bones". It's… not pretty.

Original:

Cover:

…I told you it was ugly. Growling just doesn't work in a song like this. Not to mention their desperate attempt to throw in a breakdown. Sorry, Suicide Silence, but this is shit.

Though, they actually do have a pretty good cover of Rob Zombie's "Superbeast" right here:

Original

Cover

That cover is just Neutral Milk Hotel goes Disney. To top it off, they removed everything else that made the original perfect: the brass instrumentation, the simple chords and Jeff Mangum's voice, which gave the song its charm. This is just bland, radio "indie".

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!